post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: April 1971, R107 MB 350 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Radio blind plate - anyone using it?

As these cars were very expensive in their time I presume not many were delivered without a radio installed. Which would suggest a 350 SL radio blind plate being a somewhat unusual part. I was lucky to find one, in the right colour, at a local auction site - and as there cannot be more than maybe a couple of red interior R107: s in Sweden and even fewer with owners to spot the auction I got it almost for free. The seller had worked at the authorized MB dealership here in Sweden in the 60ies and 70ies and among other things he installed radios. He kept this blind plate because he found it nice (most plates were just thrown away). We tried to find out if it actually came from my car but it was not - as he had worked at another town in the timespan of my cars arrival to the country.

In the 1971 catalogue there is a picture showing one installed and I have also found an early publicity picture with one.

My car has two Hirschmann electric operated antennas (it had a CB radio in its early life to explain the second one...). Which would make me using my blind plate sort of strange. But it is nice to have it - for "completeness".

Anyone using a radio blind plate here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 03 20.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	2513008   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 03 20 b.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	2513010   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio blind 1971 catalog.jpg
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	2513012   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	2513014  
miko1aj and Hijak like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 1988 560SL (California Model)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Nice find. Over here we'd probably refer to it as a "radio delete" plate or cover. In all honestly I never knew it existed until you posted a pic. Cool to have but I doubt few are being used...at least here in the US.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:03 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 1979 450SL UK spec
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Sort of, I made my own.

miko1aj and Hijak like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Weirdo Europeans optioning cars without radios, aircon, and even cruise control!

Totally unrelated: My UK Prius came without cruise control. WHY?! The parts only cost like $60 and it took me less than an hour to go from nothing to cruising.

And don't try and spin it as not having enough a lot of places to drive to. If you go onto a motorway or even a limited access road you have an excuse to use cruise control to save on that already horribly expensive gas. Even if the trip is only 30 minutes long!

Anyway, cool part. Definitely one of a kind :P
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: April 1971, R107 MB 350 SL
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okyoureabeast View Post
Weirdo Europeans optioning cars without radios, aircon, and even cruise control!

Totally unrelated: My UK Prius came without cruise control. WHY?! The parts only cost like $60 and it took me less than an hour to go from nothing to cruising.

And don't try and spin it as not having enough a lot of places to drive to. If you go onto a motorway or even a limited access road you have an excuse to use cruise control to save on that already horribly expensive gas. Even if the trip is only 30 minutes long!

Anyway, cool part. Definitely one of a kind :P
Haha! Well we do like to drive our cars over here - manual gearbox prefered, etc. For instance we do like proper functioning brakes on all wheels - as we would like to be able to brake repeatable. Even several times a day .

I have had some 60ies and early 70ies US hobby cars over the years and I have loved them. Still do. I have always had to get the suspension upgraded for actual road use and proper brakes fitted - though. But they all came with a radio, AC and most of them cruise control and automatic gearbox. (edit) - and with a gazillion of horsepower - sort of "all dressed up and nowhere to go". I was into the street racing scene in the late 80ies and early 90ies - and I always got rid of the radio, AC, cruise control, etc.

Cudas, Novas and a Fairlane, etc. has been in my garage. Different car cultures galore. I love them all - US/Italian/German cars. They all have their quirks. Or more politely put - are products of the environment where they were produced.

Did someone notice I did not mention British cars... I had a car with a Lucas lighting system and a weird positive ground...

Swedish cars on the other hand are perfect in every way. That is an universal truth.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 1988 560SL (California Model)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics View Post
Sort of, I made my own.

Well done!
okyoureabeast likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindbad View Post
Did someone notice I did not mention British cars... I had a car with a Lucas lighting system and a weird positive ground...
I had a few British cars with the infamous Lucas electrical system...

Lucas - Prince of Darkness - Lucas Electrical Humor Jokes

Alan
If it doesn't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyhow.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:25 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2019
Vehicle: yet to be determined
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
i like to cut and steel chunks from british cars LOL

radio delete plates are rare, took me a long LONG time to track one down for my 58 ford, only ever came across one cuda with a delete , but a few darts, my 69 cuda i made my own but that dash is custom while stock looking

the euro guys like to HEAR the car more than the radio, meanwhile over here we make the cars louder than the radio

that plate is pretty trick, no suprise they got tossed being just a slab of wood with an emblem in it
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:07 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: '79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindbad View Post
As these cars were very expensive in their time I presume not many were delivered without a radio installed. Which would suggest a 350 SL radio blind plate being a somewhat unusual part. I was lucky to find one, in the right colour, at a local auction site - and as there cannot be more than maybe a couple of red interior R107: s in Sweden and even fewer with owners to spot the auction I got it almost for free. The seller had worked at the authorized MB dealership here in Sweden in the 60ies and 70ies and among other things he installed radios. He kept this blind plate because he found it nice (most plates were just thrown away). We tried to find out if it actually came from my car but it was not - as he had worked at another town in the timespan of my cars arrival to the country.

In the 1971 catalogue there is a picture showing one installed and I have also found an early publicity picture with one.

My car has two Hirschmann electric operated antennas (it had a CB radio in its early life to explain the second one...). Which would make me using my blind plate sort of strange. But it is nice to have it - for "completeness".
A beautiful find, and maybe one day it will find its way back into the console.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in