Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   R/C107 SL/SLC Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/)
-   -   New member - no questions asked... (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/3026248-new-member-no-questions-asked.html)

Sindbad 05-15-2019 01:45 PM

New member - no questions asked...

5 Attachment(s)
New here but/and I have no questions. I suspect this being somewhat unusual…

Just want to register to the Benzworld community and from time to time try to contribute.

English is not my native language but I usually get along fine and I hope you guys do too (with me). Irony is sometimes lost in translation though...

Been heavily into vintage - bikes (top of the line racing bicycles), mopeds, motorcycles, cars and boats as a hobby all my life. Always done everything myself. Today at 55 I have come to the conclusion that time is more valuable than money and I have started to act accordingly - actually letting others do things for me. Paying someone to do work on my vehicles is something I am unaccustomed to but I am starting to get the hang of it.

Architect by education but working as CEO/MD within property management since many years.

I have got the 655: th built R107. A 350 SL made in April 1971 and sold new here in Sweden. Unrestored with 92 000 Km on the meter. It had done 60 000 Km in 1976 and was then put away until 2001. Few owners and well maintained. I have replaced all rubber seals/hoses and other parts that deteriorate when not used regularly.

What makes it sort of "special" (taking into account the great numbers R107 produced) are:
Low serial number
Low milage
The colour combo (yes - I am mostly using British English)
Manual gearbox
Very basic equipment (no automatic transmission, AC or power windows, etc.)
Code "624" - version for Sweden which means headrests, seatbelts, H4 lights, side mirrors on both sides, prepared for radio installation (in Sweden Blaupunkt radios were installed - not Becker) and - still under investigation - very probably a somewhat stiffer suspension.

Happy to be here.

rowdie 05-15-2019 02:52 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Very nice example. Thanks for the pictures.

miko1aj 05-15-2019 03:53 PM

Welcome to the club Sindbad! Great looking car you got there, an unusual combination which I really like. Nice one! 👌👍😁

cushjbc 05-15-2019 04:12 PM

Welcome Sinbad - love the early D-Jets. Is yours an M116 engine with the 4 speed? Thanks for the pictures.

Hijak 05-15-2019 05:08 PM

Hey Sindbad...I know a guy with the identical car, is also into vintage bikes, mopeds, motorcycles, cars and boats (used to have a really cool wooden boat!). He’s also into vintage watches, you wouldn’t know him would you?:wink

It’s good to see you here styggpy, lots of valuable information here for the D-jet 107s! You’ll fit right in here, welcome.:thumbsup:

NYYYCE&EEEEZY 05-15-2019 05:34 PM

The color combo looks very nice. Not too different from mine except your interior appears to be more red while mine is a little more burgundy. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the pics.

nobby 05-15-2019 05:50 PM

Välkommen till forumet. Vacker bil!

jaymaynard 05-15-2019 06:56 PM

Welcome! And don't apologize for your English. It's far better than my Swedish, which is pretty much limited to "bork bork bork".

Lovely car, too, and seems to be in fantastic condition. You got a keeper.

Sindbad 05-16-2019 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYYYCE&EEEEZY (Post 17787196)
The color combo looks very nice. Not too different from mine except your interior appears to be more red while mine is a little more burgundy. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the pics.

My interior is code (1)68 which is just called red/rot. I would say it is a "clear" or bright red.

Sindbad 05-16-2019 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hijak (Post 17787180)
Hey Sindbad...I know a guy with the identical car, is also into vintage bikes, mopeds, motorcycles, cars and boats (used to have a really cool wooden boat!). He’s also into vintage watches, you wouldn’t know him would you?:wink

It’s good to see you here styggpy, lots of valuable information here for the D-jet 107s! You’ll fit right in here, welcome.:thumbsup:

Strange - you mean there is another multi-nerd out there... :wink

Thanks - I was meaning to keep a low profile here and you blew my cover! Nice to see you here too Hijak! :smile

And for the others here - yes, I do have a collection of classic/vintage wristwatches too. I do like well designed technical things. Anything technical that can be tinkered with.