BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 1985 500SEL euro(sold); 1984 190d 5spd; 1996 S600(sold); 1985 380SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to benzrider85
(Thread Starter)
fuel pressure regulators 1985 380SL

I have been troubleshooting a rough idle and intermittent hesitation when accelerating cold and I discovered fuel leaking out of a fuel pressure regulator, which this car seems to have two of. I don't see anything about these when looking at the Bosch CIS K-jetronic with Lambda information and if i followed the fuel lines correctly it looks like they are both in line with the frequency valve. What is the purpose of these exactly? Obviously I need to replace this regulator that is leaking but I was wondering if someone point me in the direction to some info on this part of the system that would be great. Quite pricey these guys seem to be too. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Can you please post pictures of the components in question and where are they leaking? That's worth a thousand words.

If it's the components that I am thinking of near the fuel distributor, those are used to smooth out the pulses that occur in fuel delivery to protect the sensitive components like the WUR and frequency valve. I read that in the FSM somewhere.

In my adventures down memory lane, I don't recall a thread about them leaking ever so this might be a first!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Sure can. The one with the arrow on the drivers side of the fuel distributor is leaking through what would be the vacuum attachment on a normal FPR. It seems on this system its not regulated by vacuum and it is just a vent. Both of the regulators seem to vent into the breather hose on the passenger's side. The second is behind the fuel distributor.

I'm curious what kind of effect this could have on the performance. I'm sure it is where my gas smell is coming from. I discovered raw fuel in the breather tube when I took my air filter off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FPR1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	2512824   Click image for larger version

Name:	FPR2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2512826  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: 1983 380 SL
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Premium Member
Garage
I could be wrong but I don't believe either of the things you circled in your pictures are fuel pressure regulators. If I remember correctly the fuel pressure regulator lives inside the FD in the outbound leg of the fuels journey back to the tank.

Look for a large nut on the drivers side rear (closest to the firewall) back of the FD. That nut holds the spring and spacers used to adjust the fuel pressure. I'll try to modify one of your pictures and point to the nut I'm talking about.

OK... I modified one of your pictures. If I am remembering correctly, the red arrow is pointing to the nut that holds the fuel pressure regulator mechanism inside the Fuel Distributor.

Name:  MercFuelPressureRegualtor copy.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  93.7 KB

Nobody gets out of this life alive.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:36 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
This may have to do with what year.

Early CIS had the nut in the back that you would change washers to adjust fuel pressure and Jyuma pointed out. Later for all 86+ M117's had the pressure regulator that looks like what is shown in the first or second picture. I don't know when the change occurred but as far as I know the 560SL only has one.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:25 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: 1983 380 SL
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncallo View Post
This may have to do with what year.

Early CIS had the nut in the back that you would change washers to adjust fuel pressure and Jyuma pointed out. Later for all 86+ M117's had the pressure regulator that looks like what is shown in the first or second picture. I don't know when the change occurred but as far as I know the 560SL only has one.
The OP lists an '85 380 as one of his cars and he also mentioned the frequency valve in the description of his problem. Again, if my memory serves (the older I get the less reliable my memory becomes) the frequency valve was only used on the 380 in '83, '84' and '85. That's what made me guess it was an M116 engine with the fuel pressure regulator internal to the FD.

Nobody gets out of this life alive.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:34 AM

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The frequency valve is on 450SL and 380SL with O2 sensor. It is part of the lambda control. Those diaphragms are called pressure regulators in the EPC.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzrider85 View Post
Sure can. The one with the arrow on the drivers side of the fuel distributor is leaking through what would be the vacuum attachment on a normal FPR. It seems on this system its not regulated by vacuum and it is just a vent. Both of the regulators seem to vent into the breather hose on the passenger's side. The second is behind the fuel distributor.

I'm curious what kind of effect this could have on the performance. I'm sure it is where my gas smell is coming from. I discovered raw fuel in the breather tube when I took my air filter off.
Thanks for this picture.

Those were exactly what I was thinking about. They're called fuel pressure dampers and are used to smooth out the pulses in the fuel system when you change throttle position. Think water hammer or in this cause gas hammer. They're similar in function to the fuel accumulator "aka reservoir" under the rear of the car.

The vacuum hoses you see are used as a safety precaution for when they leak. Allowing the fuel to be safely sucked away into the intake system to be burned instead of destroying your car. On older KJet vehicles, that wasn't there and it was later added. I could have sworn I read this somewhere in the FSM, but I can't find it.

The function of these devices is explained on page 20:
https://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/...8/07.3-001.pdf

The forum messed up my pictures. The bottom image is the pressure dampener that OP and myself have. The top picture is the updated "tecalan element" that deletes the regulator. No doubt, it just looks like a fat hose.

In this case, it seems there is an updated hose that deletes the pressure dampener which is what I would recommend you replace the leaking element with.

@rowdie , does the EPC show the updated part number for this? Should just be a really long hose that deletes it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	2513280   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	2513282  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okyoureabeast View Post
Thanks for this picture.

Those were exactly what I was thinking about. They're called fuel pressure dampers and are used to smooth out the pulses in the fuel system when you change throttle position. Think water hammer or in this cause gas hammer. They're similar in function to the fuel accumulator "aka reservoir" under the rear of the car.

The vacuum hoses you see are used as a safety precaution for when they leak. Allowing the fuel to be safely sucked away into the intake system to be burned instead of destroying your car. On older KJet vehicles, that wasn't there and it was later added. I could have sworn I read this somewhere in the FSM, but I can't find it.

The function of these devices is explained on page 20:
https://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/...8/07.3-001.pdf

The forum messed up my pictures. The bottom image is the pressure dampener that OP and myself have. The top picture is the updated "tecalan element" that deletes the regulator. No doubt, it just looks like a fat hose.

In this case, it seems there is an updated hose that deletes the pressure dampener which is what I would recommend you replace the leaking element with.

@rowdie , does the EPC show the updated part number for this? Should just be a really long hose that deletes it out.
Thanks for the help and input. This dampener is between the warm up regulator and the fuel distributor. It looks like I have the updated version here as I do not have a dampener here. I do, however have the two in line with the frequency valve. These are shown on page 8, number 7 I believe, but they don't really talk about them in this document I don't think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdie View Post
The frequency valve is on 450SL and 380SL with O2 sensor. It is part of the lambda control. Those diaphragms are called pressure regulators in the EPC.
Thanks rowdie. Any chance you have a part number on these from the EPC? (I miss when the EPC was free...) Any idea where to source one? It looks like they might be hard to get. Pelicanparts says the MB part is unavailable.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:22 PM

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I gave up the paid subscription when they went to the new format which sucks. I use these two free sites now. https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/epc/mercedes/ which is like the new EPC format and https://mercedes.7zap.com/en/eu/fg/car/

I tried the DVD sets from EBay that are supposed to have the EPC old version that runs on a Virtual Machine. Could not get it to work on three different PCs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in