Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   R/C107 SL/SLC Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/)
-   -   The Red Fox is turning "gray" (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/3025172-red-fox-turning-gray.html)

Walt Williams 05-04-2019 12:01 PM

The Red Fox is turning "gray"

3 Attachment(s)
For the first time in a couple of months I was able to wash and wax my little red roadster. For the first time I saw this. I already noticed the thin spots in the paint along the side but now its for hood as well. :crying
If you look in the upper left corner of the hood shot there is another small thin spot showing.

A paint job in now in the planning stages.

Although I have to say 'not bad for 36 year old factory paint'

cwmoser 05-04-2019 01:55 PM

That is "patina" and still a gorgeous car.
The graying rubber trim is the biggest eye sore.
From the photos, I would black out the rubber with Forever Black,
Tire Shine on the wheels, and she will visually pop with that paint patina and make
her an ever more gorgeous girl.

Neelyrc 05-04-2019 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt Williams (Post 17776378)

Walt, I came to a similar point on my 1969 280SL paint a couple of years ago. I have owned the car since new and had practically waxed all the paint off. I took the car to very good detail shop and had them bring up the shine of the original finish and then had them ceramic coat it. A year later at the MB Starfest 2018 Concourse my car won first place in class. The original paint so preserved is more highly valued than a new paint job. Two years on it still looks great and needs nothing but TLC and an occasional wash. I say keep it original!

jsebastian 05-04-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neelyrc (Post 17776606)
Walt, I came to a similar point on my 1969 280SL paint a couple of years ago. I have owned the car since new and had practically waxed all the paint off. I took the car to very good detail shop and had them bring up the shine of the original finish and then had them ceramic coat it. A year later at the MB Starfest 2018 Concourse my car won first place in class. The original paint so preserved is more highly valued than a new paint job. Two years on it still looks great and needs nothing but TLC and an occasional wash. I say keep it original!

How did they cover the areas where the paint had worn away?

frazierfrazier 05-04-2019 08:57 PM

I like paint with a little patina. Looks nice if the car is well taken care of! Don’t worry getting it repainted. Waste of money and unless you shell out loads of cash for a proper job, the little imperfections that you will notice over time with a sub par paint job will start to drive you insane.. don’t ask me how I know.

Neelyrc 05-04-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsebastian (Post 17776638)
How did they cover the areas where the paint had worn away?

They didnít. These small areas can still be seen. They are well protected with full original primer plus the ceramic coating. They just add character. The car passed 50 in February and will not see a paint job under my care.

cwmoser 05-05-2019 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazierfrazier (Post 17776736)
I like paint with a little patina. Looks nice if the car is well taken care of! Donít worry getting it repainted. Waste of money and unless you shell out loads of cash for a proper job, the little imperfections that you will notice over time with a sub par paint job will start to drive you insane.. donít ask me how I know.

I totally agree. A well detailed car with some patina is beautiful - shows that it is real. Unless you have dents and rust holes, I would advocate like @Neelyrc above and do a professional detail of the remaining paint surface.

ChiefRider 05-05-2019 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt Williams (Post 17776378)

Although I have to say 'not bad for 36 year old factory paint'

Walt, paint it if you WANT to, but I would agree with the other comments. I would strongly prefer to keep the original paint, and ensure its preservation. Just my 2 cents, FWIW.

NYYYCE&EEEEZY 05-05-2019 02:34 PM

You only have original paint once.

ejboyd5 05-07-2019 04:06 AM

Spend a ton of money, paint it, and keep it in the garage because you're afraid to to drive it. Makes complete sense to me.