Hello - 1974 450SL - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andya View Post
Many thanks for the welcomes!

The clock is in the instrument cluster. It makes a very loud ticking noise but no hand movement. Yes, low priority but I figured I would do the speedo cable, odo gears and clock all at the same time.

Andy
The separate clocks on the earlier 107s are actually mechanical but with an electric winder. The winder is what usually fails, but can be fixed. I am not sure about the clocks integrated with the cluster, but suspect they might be quartz electrical.

There is a company in Canada that fixes all types of problems. I think the owner may actually own a 107. https://www.mbcluster.com/ Check the Media tab.

Here is one of his videos - about odometer repair.

He has others too on Youtube.

This is link to cluster clock repair - It's probably in stickies, but this the one I recalled:
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c...ml#post4001601
andya likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2005 200SLK (UK), 1974 450SL (US)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Graham! I watched the video and it certainly looks doable for me to repair the odo.

Andy
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: Monika '74 450SL and her lil sis BrownHilda '79 280SL
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
I would move the fluid check.change to near the top of the list.
Power steering fluid flush and new filter, brake fluid flush, differential and transmission flush, & etc.
Replace all the rubber hoses in the fuel system, after 40+ years they need to be switched.
'74 is the last year of solid lifters so every once in a while you will need to adjust the valves.

#1 thing to remeber -- BE VERY CAREFUL AROUND THE D-JET ELECTRICS. The connectors are all very brittle and hard to get.
A D-Jet in good tune is a joy to drive, couple bad connectors and not so much...

Oh and tires, check the data code on the tires and replace if they are not from this decade.
andya likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN74SL View Post
A D-Jet in good tune is a joy to drive, couple bad connectors and not so much...
I got my 72 Djet out of storage yesterday. Been sitting since last November. Fired right up. Let it idle why I moved the other cars around. It at first idled at just over 1000rpm and then settled down nicely to about 700rpm. Took it for a drive until it reached full temperature. Ran perfectly. When I got back, opened hood to check for any leaks. Everything looked good. Engine just purring with smooth idle.
Why I am posting this? Shows what a properly working AAV and a rebuilt harness can do! See Brads thread on harness rebuilding.
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c...e-harness.html
I rebuilt mine with encouragement from Brad:
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c...t-project.html
andya and JN74SL like this.

Last edited by MBGraham; 04-18-2019 at 08:10 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Looks like building a new harness is a good idea - something I can work on for the months when I don't have access to the car. Also perhaps refurbishing the cluster.

After reading about oil changes I think I may just take it to an indy for fluid changes. Not keen on DIYing the messy stuff.
JN74SL likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Looks like building a new harness is a good idea - something I can work on for the months when I don't have access to the car. Also perhaps refurbishing the cluster.

After reading about oil changes I think I may just take it to an indy for fluid changes. Not keen on DIYing the messy stuff.
Get an extractor..
https://www.amazon.com/slp/best-oil-...hagxfusm5sz83f

I use mine to get the oil out of the engine, then I go under and change the filter and open the "huge" drain plug to get any residual oil out. It is a lot cleaner than trying to deal with the gusher of oil that comes out of the drain hole!
andya likes this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
In the early 80s my wife owned a 1973 VW Squareback. She hated it because the fuel injection system never worked properly. To this day she won't buy any VW product as a result.

Fast forward to now and she is excited to get this car. She loves Mercedes. I start to research it and find the fuel injection system was made by Bosch. Hmmm... mid-70s... German car... third-party fuel injection system... what are the chances...

Yep! Her hated VW used the same Bosch Djet system!

Andy
JN74SL likes this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
In the early 80s my wife owned a 1973 VW Squareback. She hated it because the fuel injection system never worked properly. To this day she won't buy any VW product as a result.

Fast forward to now and she is excited to get this car. She loves Mercedes. I start to research it and find the fuel injection system was made by Bosch. Hmmm... mid-70s... German car... third-party fuel injection system... what are the chances...

Yep! Her hated VW used the same Bosch Djet system!

Andy
Well it had HALF the D-Jet the Mercedes has
andya likes this.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN74SL View Post
Get an extractor..
https://www.amazon.com/slp/best-oil-...hagxfusm5sz83f

I use mine to get the oil out of the engine, then I go under and change the filter and open the "huge" drain plug to get any residual oil out. It is a lot cleaner than trying to deal with the gusher of oil that comes out of the drain hole!
Cool - I didn't know these things existed!

Andy
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I do that sometimes for engine oil/filter (I supply the filter and have shop that has good price on the oil do the change). Other times I do it, but even with extractor, have to crawl under car My other cars can all be done from above.

Going to Indy, at least for first service,might be an idea. Especially if you want to change engine oil/filter, diff oil, brake fluid, Transmission fluid/filter, coolant. Lot easier for them up on hoist. But for these old cars, an Indy who knows these old Benzes is needed. I do a lot of stuff myself, just because I don't trust our local shops to work on my old cars. PS fluid is easy enough to do. Just suck old fluid out, change filter, refill, run, turn wheel back and forth, repeat a few times until fluid looks clear. Manual says to use Dextron/ATF, but ATF has changed over the years. I buy PS fluid because it has additives needed for steering systems.

Make a list of the fluids you want them to use. You will get a lot of opinions on those!
(For a car that, like mine, will sit in storage for long periods, I would use a good synthetic oil. It seems to stay on cams and be there when you next start car (got that tip from a long time Mercedes shop owner/mechanic). Valvoline Zerex G-05 for coolant.)
andya and JN74SL like this.

Last edited by MBGraham; 04-18-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in