LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 1981 380SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Moser, seeing the condition of your vehicle, the amount of labor, time and facilities required to do the conversion sort of drives the point home for me. My engine looks like someone poured a bucket of tar on top of it, there are exhaust leaks, rust, etc.

Now, that’s not to say I don’t love my 380, and take care of it, I do. I’m actually taking this opportunity to clean the engine up ALOT, paint and polish some pieces and fix my leaking power steering pump which has been slowly spraying fluid all over my engine since I bought the car.

ANYWAY, thx for the advice as always y’all. Really hope this damn chain came with/uses circlips and not rivets, otherwise I’m not quite sure how I will attach the new one to the old one to feed it through, etc... where there’s a will there’s a way I suppose.
cwmoser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:26 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazierfrazier View Post
Been hearing the death rattle last few startups and my chain is indeed loose and there is scoring on the covers. I know some of you have very strong convictions about this subject, but for me and my situation (no garage, limited finances) it makes the most sense to just change the chain, tensioner and guides, so thatís what Iím doing. And no, I will NOT attempt to start it up again until itís done

I have watched panzerpuffís video on timing chain service probably 15 or more times over the last few months preparing myself and read many threads here and elsewhere. I have not seen much about single row chain service, though. I think one of you guys mentioned somewhere that the single row is ďmore difficult because it has a way of jumping teeth on the cam gearĒ, but thatís really all I could find.

So, anything I should look out for, or is specific to my model year? Iíve ordered the Febi kit which includes everything. Got the stud puller for guide rails. Does the single row need to be riveted? I think I read somewhere that the master link does not use circlips.

Iím honestly very excited for this job! It was a mere three years ago that I was proud of myself for doing a tune up!

Start prowling for NOS cam sprockets.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
So, I need a chain crimping tool. Wondering if anyone here has one they might want to loan? Not sure if this is the right place to ask.

Also, it really does look like my sprockets were replaced at some point along with the chain, because they look brand new. Been looking for nos sprockets for a long time now, and couldn’t find any, so these will have to do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1998 C280; 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Checking the stretch after the new chain is installed will tell you if the sprockets are bad. On mine the keyways were wallowed out and caused the new chain to have 5 degrees stretch. New sprockets brought it to near zero.

You can buy a rivet tool on Ebay, or maybe someone has a loner.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13PCS-Rivet...0AAOSwRr5Zr3A3

Good luck!
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:46 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
So, I need a chain crimping tool. Wondering if anyone here has one they might want to loan? Not sure if this is the right place to ask.

Also, it really does look like my sprockets were replaced at some point along with the chain, because they look brand new. Been looking for nos sprockets for a long time now, and couldn’t find any, so these will have to do!

I've never seen a replacement chain that did not have a repair link.

Ask in the AutoHaus Forum

Make them earn their pfennig

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, no temporary link with the Febi kit that I ordered, just a link that needs to be crimped. Iím hoping I can just get this link on the old chain with a jewelry vice or something without crimping so I can reuse it. I dunno, a little annoyed that this small detail is going to cause me more confusion and delay. Who knows, maybe the old chain has a link with circlips I can use. Wonít be able to ďget in thereĒ until Monday, anyway.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:27 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Lifetime Premium Member

Yeah, looks like that's all they make.

MB treated that single row set up like the red headed step child they never wanted
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Haha it’s true, they did. Does anyone actually know why they went with a single row for 3 years? Is there any logical explanation? Why manufacture shittier/lesser parts when you have something (dual row) that works just fine?

Anyway... interestingly, I found a single row master link with clips made by Febi... which seems to be available only across the pond. What the hell is this nonsense?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/febi-bilste.../dp/B006DHX93Y

Seriously, googling “Febi 11625 link” brings up results, but no parts ship out of the states. The plot thickens.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Quote:
Haha itís true, they did. Does anyone actually know why they went with a single row for 3 years? Is there any logical explanation? Why manufacture shittier/lesser parts when you have something (dual row) that works just fine?

Anyway... interestingly, I found a single row master link with clips made by Febi... which seems to be available only across the pond. What the hell is this nonsense?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/febi-bilste.../dp/B006DHX93Y

Seriously, googling ďFebi 11625 linkĒ brings up results, but no parts ship out of the states. The plot thickens.
I'd just buy it if it's what you need. It's a royal PITA when trying to buy parts for these cars. A lot of stuff comes direct from Europe.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
When I had new guides installed, they removed the front plate to get at the lowers. They had to drop the oil pan (~100 bolts) as there is a catch down there. Well, we found half of one of the guides in the sump, it had broken off one of the uppers and drifted down w/o hanging up any of the sprockets. There is no gasket for the plate, they just 'painted' one on. Good luck!
frazierfrazier likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in