Today was the day I decided to install the new tank. I've had the old tank in and out of the car a dozen times so no big deal, right? Wrong!!!
I've just about had it with shit parts distributors. I could not get this tank to go in no matter how I tried... so I put the old tank back in... it slipped right in no problem. So I lined the two tanks up side by side to see if I could find a difference. They matched up pretty good until I got to the return tube. The following two pictures tell the story.
Here is the old tank. The red arrow points in the direction the return nipple leaves the tank.
Here is the new tank. The red arrow points in the direction the return nipple leaves the tank.
The return nipple on the new tank is so far off that it didn't even come close to lining up with the hole in the bottom sheet metal it must pass through. I thought (for a second of insanity) of trying to bend the nipple but quickly discounted that option because it was sure to snap off if I tried to bend it that far. So the only other thing to do when you can't make the nipple line up with the hole... you make the hole line up with the nipple. (I can just imagine what a field day Nobby will have with that one).
I elongated the hole with my trusty Dremel.
Turns out even the elongated hole wasn't big enough so I removed the tank again and made the hole even larger. That worked and I was able to mount the tank and bolt it down but when I went to attach the return line hose to the nipple, there wasn't enough room to get the clamp on far enough to get over the barb in the nipple and the hose would just slide right off. So once again I took the tank out and this time I made the hole big enough for not just the hose but the clamp as well. That finally resolved the return line issue but only brought up the next issue... connecting the external filter to replace the in-tank screen that the new tank can't accommodate. After several failures I decided to abandon the in-line filter idea and just go with the direct feed to the damper cage and rely on the existing fuel filter to do the entire job.
I finished up the rest of the assembly, poured the gas I had removed from the old tank into the new tank and started the engine. It cranked for maybe 2 seconds and fire right off. I backed out of the garage and let the engine run for a minute or two before shutting it down. Just as a precaution I looked under the car to see if there were any leaks... that's when I notice the leak. Damn. I stuck a bucket under the leak and decided I had enough frustration for one day. I'll find the leak tomorrow.