Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   R/C107 SL/SLC Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/)
-   -   Crazy Idle Control Module (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/3019852-crazy-idle-control-module.html)

Walt Williams 03-09-2019 03:04 PM

Crazy Idle Control Module

1 Attachment(s)
I got tired of the connector wiggling its way off my Idle Control Module. I'm hoping this will fix it.

rick 03-09-2019 04:24 PM

I'm sure I saw a factory TSB showing this as a factory approved method

cwmoser 03-10-2019 07:01 AM

Down here in the South, we would just wrap it in Duct Tape:smile

Walt Williams 03-12-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwmoser (Post 17721008)

:big laugh:

reno4u2 03-12-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwmoser (Post 17721008)

No bailing wire?

cwmoser 03-14-2019 06:43 AM

Just Duct Tape is semi-permanent, while Bailing Wire and Duct Tape is a permanent fix :wink

BTW, when I was a young man right out of college I car pooled with a fellow who drove a 1950 Chevy Truck. The Engine Block had cracked ... so he glued the crack back and continued driving the old truck. On rainy days, the passenger side floorboard where I sat had a hole in it and would splash water up in the cab on my side. The hole was big enough that you could see the road pavement while riding. The whole truck was a rusty POS. The solution was a piece of cardboard and a rubber floor mat to cover the hole in the floor. Still a fond memory. I don't think Duct Tape was invented by the 1970's but maybe we just were not aware of it :wink

Roaddawgie 03-15-2019 07:13 AM

I like you style man:thumbsup:

Walt Williams 03-15-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwmoser (Post 17725558)
Just Duct Tape is semi-permanent, while Bailing Wire and Duct Tape is a permanent fix :wink

BTW, when I was a young man right out of college I car pooled with a fellow who drove a 1950 Chevy Truck. The Engine Block had cracked ... so he glued the crack back and continued driving the old truck. On rainy days, the passenger side floorboard where I sat had a hole in it and would splash water up in the cab on my side. The hole was big enough that you could see the road pavement while riding. The whole truck was a rusty POS. The solution was a piece of cardboard and a rubber floor mat to cover the hole in the floor. Still a fond memory. I don't think Duct Tape was invented by the 1970's but maybe we just were not aware of it :wink

If you had no duct tape then I suppose one could have used electrical tape. I'm pretty sure that did exists during the 70s. I don't recall seeing pull ties until some time in the late 80s.

rcrmonte3 03-15-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reno4u2 (Post 17723666)
No bailing wire?

Ya has ta has good, sticky chewin' gum ta go with the balin' wire. Otherwisw, the balin' wire won't work.:devil:grin

Walt Williams 03-27-2019 06:01 PM

It appears I need to clean the contacts. I had to remove the pull-tie today and pulled the connector off and plug it back on because she was idling at 1500 RPM again. Doing this brought the idle back down to 500 RPM.

"Ah. Such is life with a classic car." Id'e rather have little things to fix than a car payment and insurance to match.