BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: 1973 450SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Am I being ripped off? Indy shop prices

Hello,
I finally found a shop that specializes in older Mercedes. Very good reputation. They had me come to the shop and go over what they found with me under the lift so that they could show me personally needs to be done. However, some of the prices sound reasonable and some seem high...They are allowing me to provide the parts to help save on cost what are your thoughts?

Labor only:

To rebuild driveline: New flex discs, center bearing, center support, both driveshaft bushings, new boot = $615. Note: Exhaust is all welded so must be dropped in 1 piece.

Install new rear diff and diff mount = $450

Install new engine mounts, a-arm bushings, tie-rod assemblies, sub-frame bushings, drag link = $1100.00

Install new steering coupler and re-seal leaky steering box = $935 .. This is the one that seems high, maybe its very labor intensive? - Note: Spoke to shop and this is for complete r&r of steering box and since exhaust is welded in one piece they need to drop the entire exhaust system all together.

Do these labor costs sound reasonable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 01:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560SL; 2014 E350; 1960 190SL-sold; 1996 280C-sold
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
As someone who uses a very honest INDY repair shop for all my 107's needs, I can tell you that the labor rates are sometimes going to seem high when compared to the labor costs of the typical DIY'ers here.
Mercy107 likes this.

Robert AKA: EEEEZY
You can't get us confused. I'm also "Nice", but NYYYCE is NEVER "Easy"!

The secret to happiness? Stay away from assholes!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 01:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 1981 380SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Wow, seeing those numbers for labor alone certainly justifies the swearing and injuries Iíve sustained over the years working on my 380, lol.

If the shop truly does specialize in mercís of the era in question, and they have a good reputation, it might be worth it even if the labor does seem high.
Lawrencefitzsimon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 01:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Install new rear differential? Are they dropping it and putting a new one on?

There's no reason for that. The mount is literally 6 bolts. Unscrew and put in. Are they giving you new CV joints with that price? If so, then that's really good.

Do that yourself with a floor jack if not.

Other than that one, everything else is a good price . Especially the power steering box and coupler job. I've done everything on that list myself . Certainly not hard to do over the course of a few months .

For the engine mounts, make sure they also weld on the subframe gusset arm fixes in that price if it hasn't been done yet.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazierfrazier View Post
Wow, seeing those numbers for labor alone certainly justifies the swearing and injuries Iíve sustained over the years working on my 380, lol.

If the shop truly does specialize in mercís of the era in question, and they have a good reputation, it might be worth it even if the labor does seem high.
That's what I am thinking. They are very thorough. I am normally DIY'er on most repairs on this car, but time is my issue right now. These aren't necessarily hard jobs, just time consuming. And I am short on time. To do a lot of the subframe work they need to lower or drop the subframe entirely and the steering coupler is pretty involved timewise. Spring is coming and I want the car finished and ready. Spring starts early in Texas.

Guess I will bite the bullet.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okyoureabeast View Post
Install new rear differential? Are they dropping it and putting a new one on?

There's no reason for that. The mount is literally 6 bolts. Unscrew and put in. Are they giving you new CV joints with that price? If so, then that's really good.

Do that yourself with a floor jack if not.

Other than that one, everything else is a good price . Especially the power steering box and coupler job. I've done everything on that list myself . Certainly not hard to do over the course of a few months .

For the engine mounts, make sure they also weld on the subframe gusset arm fixes in that price if it hasn't been done yet.
Thanks for the reply. Yes it has had the subframe kit installed already. I called the shop asking why so high on simply replacing the diff...his response was that on this p[articular early model 450sl, the axles must be removed...he had a long explanation of what he had to do but it was basically more involved than some other model SL's. Remove wheels, axles, etc. He stated that the axles are in good shape and do not need to be replaced. So, just the cost of getting it done right when you dont have time to DIY. Spring is around the corner in Texas so we want it done by then. If I had a few months I would do most of it,but alas, too much other stuff going on.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 02:31 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: 1985 300d
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
what shop is it? i have been extremely happy with Ronnie Jackson on Tuam St in Houston
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 02:35 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: 1983 380 SL
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Premium Member
Garage
You know the old expression "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it"? Well... who ever came up with that expression never owned a classic 107. Where the 30 to 40 year old 107's are concerned, nobody can afford it. If you're not a DIY'r, then owning a classic 107 will drain your bank account. I have cursed and bled more in the last two years than the preceding two decades... and I'm nowhere near done bleeding and cursing yet.

If the couple of thousand bucks in repairs you mentioned will get you on the road in early spring... and you can afford it... then go for it, but call me crazy if I don't see that as being the end of it. There's more shit that can go wring with these cars than Carter has Little Liver Pills. If it's not a labor of love than it's just labor.

Good luck.
LostInTime likes this.

Nobody gets out of this life alive.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 04:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy107 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yes it has had the subframe kit installed already. I called the shop asking why so high on simply replacing the diff...his response was that on this p[articular early model 450sl, the axles must be removed...he had a long explanation of what he had to do but it was basically more involved than some other model SL's. Remove wheels, axles, etc. He stated that the axles are in good shape and do not need to be replaced. So, just the cost of getting it done right when you dont have time to DIY. Spring is around the corner in Texas so we want it done by then. If I had a few months I would do most of it,but alas, too much other stuff going on.
I mean, you don't actually have to pop the cover off of the differential to replace the mount. You can unbolt the mount against the frame and let the differential drop to clear the bolts that attach the mount to the cover.

It's easier to just remove the differential cover for him.

I would have him skip this and just do it yourself. Seriously, just back the car up onto ramps, put a floor jack under the differential, unbolt the mount, drop the differential to clear the spare tire well, remove mount, and reverse steps to reinstall.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:30 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1984 300 SD 1984 300CDT (sold)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
My INDY on Galveston is 60% cheaper it seems. He owns an garage queen 1984 300TD.
PM me for contact info, so that I can get a reference credit.
LostInTime likes this.

1982 300D Turbo Sedan " Tanny Girl" (sold)
1982 300SD
1984 300CDT (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in