LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1984 300 SD 1984 300CDT (sold)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
well said

1982 300D Turbo Sedan " Tanny Girl" (sold)
1982 300SD
1984 300CDT (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1984 300 SD 1984 300CDT (sold)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Ronnie Jackson knows their stuff... but very labor expensive and parts markup.

1982 300D Turbo Sedan " Tanny Girl" (sold)
1982 300SD
1984 300CDT (sold)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: 1973 450SL
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
He will be removing the diff and mount entirely. The mount is sagging and the diff howls loudly at 60mph +. So remove old diff and diff mount. Then install new diff and diff mount. He would need to pull the axles out right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyuma View Post
You know the old expression "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it"? Well... who ever came up with that expression never owned a classic 107. Where the 30 to 40 year old 107's are concerned, nobody can afford it. If you're not a DIY'r, then owning a classic 107 will drain your bank account. I have cursed and bled more in the last two years than the preceding two decades... and I'm nowhere near done bleeding and cursing yet.

If the couple of thousand bucks in repairs you mentioned will get you on the road in early spring... and you can afford it... then go for it, but call me crazy if I don't see that as being the end of it. There's more shit that can go wring with these cars than Carter has Little Liver Pills. If it's not a labor of love than it's just labor.

Good luck.
I hear you my friend. This is going to be a good hit against the savings account. I would normally DIY this entire list, but much of it is under the car in tight spots, especially the sub-frame work, drive-line and steering coupling. With the exhaust being welded into one piece the entire system needs to be removed, sub-frame partially dropped, etc. If I had a lift in my garage and a free month I would be doing this.

I know what you mean about this not being the end of it, this is our 3rd old benz (2nd 107), and i've done all the work on them so far. This is the first time putting one in the shop, which is why I was a bit shocked at the labor costs. But hopefully this takes care of the major stuff under the car for a while. The next jobs go back to DIY mode. Sometimes you just gotta throw a couple grand at it. Besides, in Texas, the riding with the top off weather is just weeks away!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petethemedic View Post
My INDY on Galveston is 60% cheaper it seems. He owns an garage queen 1984 300TD.
PM me for contact info, so that I can get a reference credit.

Awesome..I will PM you.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiltycoon View Post
what shop is it? i have been extremely happy with Ronnie Jackson on Tuam St in Houston
Autohaus Ruffner in League City. I will check out your shop. Thanks
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiltycoon View Post
what shop is it? i have been extremely happy with Ronnie Jackson on Tuam St in Houston
Autohaus Ruffner in League City. He has 6-7 various year 107'S in his shop now. Has a cherry 280SL Manual trans grey market in one of the bays. I will check out your shop. Thanks
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy107 View Post
He will be removing the diff and mount entirely. The mount is sagging and the diff howls loudly at 60mph +. So remove old diff and diff mount. Then install new diff and diff mount. He would need to pull the axles out right?
Yes. If you're getting a new diff out of that deal then you getting a great deal on that price. I would take it.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:57 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2019
Vehicle: '85 380SL, '99 SL500, '18 C300, '78 911SC, '91 Alfa Spider
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyuma View Post
You know the old expression "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it"? Well... who ever came up with that expression never owned a classic 107. Where the 30 to 40 year old 107's are concerned, nobody can afford it. If you're not a DIY'r, then owning a classic 107 will drain your bank account. I have cursed and bled more in the last two years than the preceding two decades... and I'm nowhere near done bleeding and cursing yet.

If the couple of thousand bucks in repairs you mentioned will get you on the road in early spring... and you can afford it... then go for it, but call me crazy if I don't see that as being the end of it. There's more shit that can go wring with these cars than Carter has Little Liver Pills. If it's not a labor of love than it's just labor.

Good luck.
Bang on. Iíve owned my SL for almost ten years now, it was my first car and Iíll never part with it. Almost like clockwork though, every time I fix something and get it to ďperfectĒ status, something else inevitably breaks. It was the radiator, then the idle control unit, then the door locks, then the HVAC, then a full timing chain failure, then a subframe failure, then the odometer gears, and now the steering coupler. Iíve spent four or five times the cars purchase price in keeping it going and itís worth every bloody penny (and outside of the rebuild post timing chain failure, I did everything myself).
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: 1983 380 SL
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy107 View Post
I hear you my friend. This is going to be a good hit against the savings account. I would normally DIY this entire list, but much of it is under the car in tight spots, especially the sub-frame work, drive-line and steering coupling. With the exhaust being welded into one piece the entire system needs to be removed, sub-frame partially dropped, etc. If I had a lift in my garage and a free month I would be doing this.

I know what you mean about this not being the end of it, this is our 3rd old benz (2nd 107), and i've done all the work on them so far. This is the first time putting one in the shop, which is why I was a bit shocked at the labor costs. But hopefully this takes care of the major stuff under the car for a while. The next jobs go back to DIY mode. Sometimes you just gotta throw a couple grand at it. Besides, in Texas, the riding with the top off weather is just weeks away!
I wish I was there instead of here. It's 3:45 AM and 23 degrees. It won't be top down driving here until May or June.

Nobody gets out of this life alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in