post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: R170 M111K 230SLK, C107 280SLC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Saved from the crusher (nearly!)

Hello all, attached are pics of my 280 slc, believed 73, who, the hope is, will gain from the loss of heart from my m113 r170 swap... the idea for this car is: v8 swap, do something the snobs will not like. Oh, and I work for Mercedes-Benz Classic, representing them at car shows, so my car will get seen by plenty of people, under the merc banner
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slc.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	2476442  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I know what you're thinking, she's mint, right? Believe it or not, shes all there, boot bonnet and doors have been rust repaired, roof, wings, sills, floors and engine bay are all rust free save for surface rust.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	slc2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	2476444   Click image for larger version

Name:	slc3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	2476446  
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:20 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
OK so whats the plan. Are you going to put the M113 in or not. Where are you in Ireland. I might be there next year. Wife is from County Meath.

Good luck.
dallara likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Transplant OM629 (my wet dream), M112 E36, or plain ye olde 280 with Megasqirt and distributorless ignition. Colour it white.
No task is big (or small), only lack of resources, absence of desire, or both

Vitamin C for SL... the SLC
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2015
Vehicle: 1973 450SL, 1999 c230
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The plan is... Spend a shit load of money and then complain that the 107 has no value. Put all the parts in a shed and sell them as the value increases. The world doesn't need another restored 107. The parts will be more valuable than the sum. Pluse. Every 107 scrapped increases the value of mine.
SinSL and LostInTime like this.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
As I'm not too sure how this multi-quote thing works, I will attempt to address all of your queries now my own way...
@Ianwright40
"Spend a shit load of money and then complain that the 107 has no value. Put all the parts in a shed and sell them as the value increases. The world doesn't need another restored 107. The parts will be more valuable than the sum. *Please. Every 107 scrapped increases the value of mine." Fk spending money (needlessly, that is) my slc was as cheap as they get, believe me. Also, I have no shed, so that rules that out, the parts on it as they stand are worth very little monetary value but have enormous sentimental value to me - my father has a drop dead gorgeous completely original 74 350sl. As we are both regional officers for the mercedes benz club, I have to park whatever I have next to his stunning minter of a car at every car show in our region, so rather than being forever outclassed by his car in that sense, I'll go my own way and who said anything about restoring it? What I intend on doing diverges somewhat from that - but thank you for your suggestion nonetheless.
@Djenka018
"OM629 (my wet dream), M112 E36, or plain ye olde 280 with Megasquirt and distributor-less ignition. Colour it white.
No task is big (or small), only lack of resources, absence of desire, or both"
Firstly, white is not my colour in cars, enough said about that. your final statement is very very true. Unfortunately someone in my region already has a diesel transplanted 107, so that rules that out... plus engines like the OM629 cost at least 5 times what I will spend on my whole project, mods, purchase price and all Thank you for sharing your opinion/ sexual fantasies with the forum, though! I suppose if you can't do that on the internet, where can you do it??
Spend money?! Certainly not... that rules out OM629, M112 E36, and tbh *naturally aspirated* mods to a 280 seem like a waste of time and money when I have a m113 5 litre with tranny and complete wiring loom, ecus etc. already... The Megasquirt and distributor-less ignition I am seriously considering though, as the merc setup I have is "less than ideal" with regards replacement modules, transponders etc. I'd nearly prefer to write my own code and use my own ecu... I have no real intention of a respray or interior save for 2 front seats atm...
So... Plan is... fit a 4.5 out of another 107 meanwhile (I got it as part of the deal - only issue is it's electric injection and minus an engine loom) and get it to a rolling project stage, then drive to shows during the summer, and save some money for the megasquirt gear (bit strapped for cash atm).
My plan is a fairly loose one atm, and I would like to hear positive, encouraging suggestions, either that or 'troll'-y, downright sarcastic or totally impractical-but-remotely possible and hilarious ones only, please

My constants:
1) the 107 chassis,
2) a readily available, relatively cheap and high output Mercedes v8 - I already have the 5.0 litre m113 so that seems a no-brainer,
3) heavy modifications with
4) very little **conventional** regard for outward appearance, save for not destroying the beautiful shape of the car. Function comes first, the best solution is simple and operationally elegant imo... This (on the exterior of the car) probably taking a rat-look approach, but by my own definition, so all new bushes hoses etc. underneath, but upgraded only where truly a performance gain (e.g. I learned previously poly bushes are not suitable everywhere as they do not possess the necessary mechanical properties for some applications) and with underneath and engine bay freshly painted and spotless. Also, nice wheels, same size as the doner car, of course.
5) preferably not too similar to something everybody else has, hence
6) Disruptive camouflage paint job (see attached pics)

My variables:
1) the m113 - I will price up all the bits, and depending what I can scavenge along the way, I could be tempted to fit a sizeable nitrous kit to the 4.5 I am promised with the purchase of the 107. I see this needing an aftermarket ecu either way though, so more research needed here. Also, as for the m113, everything can change, however it is my *first* choice for transplant.
2) electronic control of the automatic transmission
3) widely held and otherwise traditional views of what is acceptable to do to: a car, a classic, and most importantly a Mercedes
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cubism-razzle-dazzle-camouflage-painting.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	2476500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dazzleship_975x400_original.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	2476502  
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 01:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Is there a link towards that chap that has a diesel 107 transplant?

OM629 is different as it has +700Nm (oh, and +230kW)
Line up a few of these in the same direction and they could stop the Earth spinning.

I am yet to see a white SLC...
but youir colour combo as pr attached woiuld be interesting
jsebastian likes this.

Vitamin C for SL... the SLC
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 08:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
If you elect to install M117.982 (D-Jet) as was original in 1973, I can help. I have lots of salvage spares on hand for that engine.

The M113 would be interesting - subscribed either way. Best of luck in your restoration.

Brad Cushman
73 450 SL
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djenka018 View Post
Is there a link towards that chap that has a diesel 107 transplant?
I think I have a photo of it somewhere, he bought it built already from a retired engineer who promptly died upon completion of the project. He didn’t really know much about the technical bits. It was the 3 liter turbo diesel (?) same as in a model year 2000 iSH, really not sure though. If I ever see him again I’ll photograph the sht out of it for you. It was immaculately executes. Looked like it came from the factory. Another member in my region has the same engine in a 190e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushjbc View Post
If you elect to install M117.982 (D-Jet) as was original in 1973, I can help. I have lots of salvage spares on hand for that engine.
Thanks very much for the offer, I’ll keep that in mind 🙂

[QUOTE=cushjbc;17648458
The M113 would be interesting - subscribed either way. Best of luck in your restoration.[/QUOTE]
And thanks very much for the vote of confidence 👍
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 07:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 380SL, Jag F-type
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Restoring a car that far gone, unless its expected value when finished exceeds $100K is a money losing proposition. Can this be done? Absolutely. Should this be done? Absolutely not.

If you want R107, buy the best example you can find, and then spend the remaining 90% of your restoration budget on something else.
frazierfrazier and LostInTime like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in