post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 11:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinSL View Post
Restoring a car that far gone, unless its expected value when finished exceeds $100K is a money losing proposition. Can this be done? Absolutely. Should this be done? Absolutely not.

If you want R107, buy the best example you can find, and then spend the remaining 90% of your restoration budget on something else.
Accountant by day, right?

Vitamin C for SL... the SLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2017
Vehicle: 560SL 1986 244k miles astral grey / black
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Can this be done? Absolutely. Should this be done? Absolutely not.
Why not? Men are aloud to have a hobby no? May a hobby cost money? I would say yes...
jsebastian and dallara like this.

How hard can it be?
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:30 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 1979 450SL UK spec
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
This is Derek's R107 Diesel, there are a few pics here of his car on the forum showing its fantastic full leather interior. His death was very sudden and unexpected and there was a very big Mercedes enthusiast turn out at his funeral. Anyway his car was sold on by his estate.

Djenka018 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:45 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Quote:
Restoring a car that far gone, unless its expected value when finished exceeds $100K is a money losing proposition. Can this be done? Absolutely. Should this be done? Absolutely not.

If you want R107, buy the best example you can find, and then spend the remaining 90% of your restoration budget on something else.
A restoration of a car like this would never happen here in the US. But I have seen many examples of such resurrections in Europe. It is true that the restoration will far exceed the cost of the engine swap.

But there are also other possibilities here, which I have considered here in the states. Use this chassis to develop the engine installation then transfer all the parts to more suitable chassis. If I had this chassis right now an M113 engine would be sitting under the hood. I actually purchased a car like this when I was considering an electric 107.
dallara likes this.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 05:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 380SL, Jag F-type
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
If you want to restore a car, a much better investment would be SL 230 (W113), as you will end up with $50K+ car when you are done as opposed to $15K car.
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 06:48 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Quote:
If you want to restore a car, a much better investment would be SL 230 (W113), as you will end up with $50K+ car when you are done as opposed to $15K car.
Yes but you have to have the W113 to restore the W113 and then your left with a car that looks good is worth so much money that you don't dare drive it. And when you do drive it you realize that it drives like crap and wont get out of its own way.
cwmoser, Djenka018 and ChiefRider like this.
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 07:19 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 1979 450SL UK spec
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
How many hours do you think you will have to put into it to get it the way you want?

Are you a skilled mechanic and body guy or have experience with this kind of project?

I completely underestimated what it would take to do mine due to having no skills and no experience, in my head I thought about a year of part time work (evenings and weekends). I have now done a year part time and close to a year full time (say 70% full time) and I still have a fair bit of painting to do, so a massive number of hours. That's fine for me as my time is free and its my hobby and I have no deadline, however if you need to pay anyone to do the work then you are looking at sinking a lot of dollars.

Mine cost 4500 on ebay in 2010, I started its main restoration 2 years ago, I think I have spent about 5k in parts etc on it (not sure what I have actually spent yet as all receipts are in a box, could be 10k).

Now here is a reality check, this is what the car looked like before I started the work.

For many, sinking 2000 hours into a car project which will offer no financial return would be madness, but for me its just fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
People climb the Mt Everest or go to the North Pole, which are *financially* some of the most stupid things to do. Edmund Percival Hillary made nothing but a huge, pure *financial* loss by being the first on record to reach the peak of the Sagarmatha at 8848m (ice included) in 1952ish.

some investments cannot be expressed in dollars and cents.
as long as expectations are exactly that
Franklyspeaking and dallara like this.

Vitamin C for SL... the SLC
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:23 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: 1983 380 SL
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Premium Member
Garage
Some time before 1999 I parked my excellent condition and good running 1983 380sl for what I thought would be a few weeks at most while I figured out how to remove an ignition switch that wouldn't turn (I knew nothing). As life intervened, those few weeks became 20 years.

Nearly 2 years ago (March 2017) I finally got around to working on the ignition switch removal, and boy was I in for a shock. No need to go into detail but suffice it to say it may be the unfortunate reality that few parts, be they mechanical, electrical or structural, in that wreck I saw at the beginning of this thread will have survived and be either usable or recoverable.

If you enjoy working on hopeless causes for the sheer exhilaration of doing so I applaud your zest for adventure, but must you start with such a hopeless cause? Can't you find one that at least has a chance of being worth the effort?

To this day it remains that reaching the summit of Mt. Everest is the crowning achievement of mountain climbing adventurers world-wide (few make it) and I'd estimate the odds of bringing that Mercedes back to useful life at only a little better. However, should you decide to go forward with this restoration project, you can count on the support of virtually every member of this august forum.

Good luck.

Nobody gets out of this life alive.
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 03:57 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Go for it!!!!!!!!! Everybody needs a project to play with.
roncallo and dallara like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in