BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: 86 560SL
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
How old is your spare tire?

The other day I decided to replace the 33 year old spare in my car. It was still holding air but I am sure it was way beyond its intended useful life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
I would wager most are original. I know mine are!

Chief

Erstwhile 107, 123, 124, 126, 210 owner
Current 107 280SL
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Yep, my 1983 380SL still has its original tire.
Over 35 years old ... but its a Michelin :-)

Carl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You have chosen to drive a MERCEDES-BENZ, a car in whose construction and production we have taken great pains because we believe that quality is not a matter of chance." -- page 3, Owners Manual 380SL
Timing Chain, Subframe, wiring harness, Climate Control, Rust prevention, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 02:58 PM
ot1
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
The Saver size, the ones that you are not suppose to go over 50mph are supposed to be replaces every 6 years according to Discount Tire guy.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmoser View Post
Yep, my 1983 380SL still has its original tire.
Over 35 years old ... but its a Michelin :-)
My spare was a Continental.
cwmoser likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ot1 View Post
The Saver size, the ones that you are not suppose to go over 50mph are supposed to be replaces every 6 years according to Discount Tire guy.
The spare on a R107 is regular size tire/rim that matches the other wheels on the car. As @ChiefRider mentioned most are still the originals that came with the car which means some of them are 45+ years old.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 04:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1999 ML430
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Yep, my 1999 ML430 is a youngster compared to your vintage Mercedes. These days with cell phones and roadside assistance, the onboard spare tire is pretty useless.

On our older vehicles you can be certain it is low on air and more than likely...dry rotted !
Also, if you contact a dealer, and if they can special order one for you, it is expensive !

Your best bet is a junkyard or pull-a-part location where you might find one that has never been used and in decent shape. I think i paid $15.00 for one I found and , along with the wheel/tire, i also pulled the bracket and hardware with it ! This was all located under the rear bumper. On your Mercedes it may be in the trunk where it would more than likely be in better shape...

Anyway, I pride myself in keeping my original owner 1999 ML430 in excellent condition and recently just turned over 400,000 miles ! Now shooting for the 750,000km badge which equates to 466,000 miles ! Wish me luck !! You can visit the W163 forum to follow my W163 history which has been pretty much trouble-free and very rewarding !! Cheers and Happy New Year !!

springerfever
mbsbms likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 04:21 PM
ot1
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by springerfever View Post
Yep, my 1999 ML430 is a youngster compared to your vintage Mercedes. These days with cell phones and roadside assistance, the onboard spare tire is pretty useless.

On our older vehicles you can be certain it is low on air and more than likely...dry rotted !
Also, if you contact a dealer, and if they can special order one for you, it is expensive !

Your best bet is a junkyard or pull-a-part location where you might find one that has never been used and in decent shape. I think i paid $15.00 for one I found and , along with the wheel/tire, i also pulled the bracket and hardware with it ! This was all located under the rear bumper. On your Mercedes it may be in the trunk where it would more than likely be in better shape...

Anyway, I pride myself in keeping my original owner 1999 ML430 in excellent condition and recently just turned over 400,000 miles ! Now shooting for the 750,000km badge which equates to 466,000 miles ! Wish me luck !! You can visit the W163 forum to follow my W163 history which has been pretty much trouble-free and very rewarding !! Cheers and Happy New Year !!

springerfever
Useless spare but depending on where live, how crappy the roads are, and what time of night you drive, may not be so useless. Where i drive lots of areas have no cell coverage, but even if they did finding road service at 2 am just doesnt happen, even at 6:30 in the morning it took two hours to respond, Last year I had two flats, and a every week I would see someone with a flat tire. Bent rims pots holes destroy tires.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 05:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2007 ML320CDI, 1959 220SE, 1971 280SL, 1982 380SL
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
You really do not want to have a 35-year-old plus tire, even as a spare. I have seen wonderful looking and never used spares shred within 10 miles after being placed on the car- - - and this was with the car being kept below 40pmh.

The factory Mercedes original and never installed temporary spare on my sons 2005 E class was useless (this tire was only 13 years old) when he tried to install it in northern Oregon late at night on a nearly deserted road in an area with no cell phone service. He installed it and the valve stem immediately broke right off. He had to walk for several miles to try to get a cell phone signal to call for help. Not something I would wish on others. Luckily, he did not hear any dueling banjos.

Every tire I have had problems with were older. My F250 separated a tread on its front tire and the tire was 7 years old and low miles. Sadly, I had a new set on order to be installed the following week when the separation occurred. It wrecked the front bumper, front fender, running board and a lot of associated parts. This one tire did nearly $5000 in damage to the truck.

Keep tires up to date on spare tires on these vehicles and on the road tires also. Anything over 6 or 7 years old should be trashed. It doesn’t matter if they have low miles, no cracks, and have always been garaged. Studies show that today’s radials lose 25% or more of their structural strength after 6 years. You can guess what strength is left after 35 years. If for some reason you want an old spare because it was original, keep it and the rim in your garage or mount it to your wall and put another wheel and tire in the car.

Today’s radials are not like the nylon and rayon cord tires from years ago which would hold up even when old. Todays tires fall apart from age alone.

Rick
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
if protected from UV tyres could last well over the prescribed period.
I coated my original Michelin spare with silicone oil to minimise air exposure. Apparently black gladwrap can do miracles too.

Vitamin C for SL... the SLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in