Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   R/C107 SL/SLC Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/)
-   -   New to this Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/3003271-new-forum.html)

Martinp 09-15-2018 03:06 PM

New to this Forum

New to this Forum for this Model 560SL 1988. Just purchased from original owner, breaking in after it sat for 10+years. Runs like a new car, after a trip to the Mechanic. original 30K miles looks like it was driven less than stored. Keeping as an weekender.. need to get used to cassett's again though! probably wont last long but trying to stay committed to that original flavor. we'll see how long that lasts. anyway great information that I have found thus far on this site. Invaluable asset to have. helped a lot with my other autos..

nobby 09-15-2018 06:20 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Let's see some pics.

Walt Williams 09-15-2018 06:36 PM

I'm with @nobby . Photos please. Even though we have the same model of car we like to see other people's 107s.

NYYYCE&EEEEZY 09-15-2018 07:10 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Like yours, my '89 had only 26,000 miles when purchased 6+ years ago. It has just turned 32,000 on the odometer. Also, like yours, mine was driven by the original owner an average of approximately 1,000 miles per year according to thorough maintenance records.

Even so, as you begin to enjoy your new find, bear in mind that although your car may only have 30,000 miles, most of the mechanical parts, and much of the fluids, could be original and as old as 30 years. In addition, the car sat for 10 years, so there may be some surprises as you begin to drive the car more regularly.

Enjoy the new ride and, as Nobby mentioned, pics would be real nice.

Martinp 09-15-2018 08:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
first thing i did was take it to my local MBZ mechanic who went thru it, changed all fluids, filters brand new tires that were put on it two years ago had to be tossed and I put new tires all the way around. AC unit was not blowing cold so fortunately was able to recharge the system with the old R12, surprising no leaks. its going to be a test locally for awhile to make sure all is functioning well and no huge hose explosions. I am pretty impressed with this Machine nice to have a Basic Classic after driving new SLC43, SLK55, S550's ... having more fun probably cause its new to me. was thinking of changing the Becker radio but keeping it for back to 100% stock, just want more music options, thinking about it, we will see i probably will keep the miles off it and just drive it enough to keep it working properly, only probably is my office is three blocks away!

Martinp 09-15-2018 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I saw this same Car in Town today, not sure how she sees out the rear Windows though.

nobby 09-15-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinp (Post 17551243)
not sure how she sees out the rear Windows though.

Or through her rose-colored glasses.

RLT61 09-16-2018 03:56 AM

Congrats on your purchase. Looks like a very nice car.

jaymaynard 09-16-2018 06:03 AM

Congratulations on your purchase! It does look like it's in gorgeous condition.

Don't be afraid to take it out and drive it hard. These cars love that.

I'm surprised the personalized plate stayed with the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinp (Post 17551243)
I saw this same Car in Town today, not sure how she sees out the rear Windows though.

I'm mildly surprised her car hasn't gotten torched.

SoonerCPA 09-16-2018 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinp (Post 17551221)
first thing i did was take it to my local MBZ mechanic who went thru it, changed all fluids, filters brand new tires that were put on it two years ago had to be tossed and I put new tires all the way around. AC unit was not blowing cold so fortunately was able to recharge the system with the old R12, surprising no leaks. its going to be a test locally for awhile to make sure all is functioning well and no huge hose explosions. I am pretty impressed with this Machine nice to have a Basic Classic after driving new SLC43, SLK55, S550's ... having more fun probably cause its new to me. was thinking of changing the Becker radio but keeping it for back to 100% stock, just want more music options, thinking about it, we will see i probably will keep the miles off it and just drive it enough to keep it working properly, only probably is my office is three blocks away!

Congrats on your beautiful 560SL. You may consider contacting Becker Auto Sound https://www.beckerautosound.com/ about options for your OEM Becker radio. They can install bluetooth capability and/or iPhone cable into the unit at a reasonable cost.

Cheers,