Performance Parts - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:03 AM
Tristan Harding

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Performance Parts

Hey all,
I've just joined the forum, so apologies if this has been asked before, please feel free to send links to other threads/topics. I am looking for a reliable website to find some performance upgrades for my 380sl. Most notably, I'd love to install some forged pistons and connecting rods, and eventually look into some coilovers. The trouble is, every time I think I've found something that fits, I read into the fine print of the parts, and it turns out its for an engine specific part for some Chevy Engine, or the like. I can't imagine there'd be much crossover in piston compatibility, even in engines of the same displacement. I'd love to hear where you guys get your parts from! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 10:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: 86 560SL
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Garage
I don’t think there are a lot of performance upgrades for a 380sl. However if you want to improve the handling here is a company that can help you out.
www.dkubus.com
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 10:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
There was a guy here who paid $$$$$ to have an m117 in a 560sl upgraded to a firm in San Francisco.

I think you would be better off putting in a newer engine. Our very own @roncallo has been designing custom subframes for newer engines. He has an m120 in his 560sl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 1978 280slc
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
If you are going that way you are going to have to "make" parts fit, everything you are doing will be a one off. You will need a good machine shop. Forged rods and pistons in themselves wont increase performance, compression ratio, cam timing, cylinder head flow, fine tuning fuel injection and ignition timing, dyno time, etc. Put your money in that stuff, then if you still have any money left go for engine internals.

Ich brauch Geld fur Gasolin, explosiv wie Kerosin, mit viel Octan und frei von Blei- Gib mir Benzin!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Bob's Your Uncle!

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: -----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2371 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Harding View Post
Hey all,
I've just joined the forum, so apologies if this has been asked before, please feel free to send links to other threads/topics. I am looking for a reliable website to find some performance upgrades for my 380sl. Most notably, I'd love to install some forged pistons and connecting rods, and eventually look into some coilovers. The trouble is, every time I think I've found something that fits, I read into the fine print of the parts, and it turns out its for an engine specific part for some Chevy Engine, or the like. I can't imagine there'd be much crossover in piston compatibility, even in engines of the same displacement. I'd love to hear where you guys get your parts from! Thanks in advance.
Find a steep hill and let 'er rip.

That's about it for the 380SL.

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby View Post
Donítí ever wrestle with a pig. Youíll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky raccoon View Post
Soldier on Old Chap. The Pig is you and you are the Pig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Bob's Your Uncle!

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: -----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2371 Post(s)
P.S.

ANYTHING can be accomplished with enough money and time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby View Post
Donítí ever wrestle with a pig. Youíll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky raccoon View Post
Soldier on Old Chap. The Pig is you and you are the Pig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Change to pistons and cams from a European model. That is about all there is in off the shelf performance that I know of.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:55 AM
Tristan Harding

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey again all, thanks for the fast responses! @RLT61 Thanks for the website. @daryn , I should have been a little more specific about my upgrades - I'm not really looking to get a ton of speed out of the car, but I need it to be robust. I intentionally chose this SL because of the small engine and low weight. My goal is get it to run E85, or at least be a flex fuel, which means that I'll have to put on a new EFI (inspired by one of the other posters here... he's on youtube as T Traz or something I think) as well as some beefy injector upgrades to match. I'm hoping to eek out about 30mpg after I'm done with everything. My only saving grace in this whole project is that where I live, I have the option of registering the car as a "Classic" or a "Hotrod" or some such, and it permits me to make "any necessary modifications in order to keep the vehicle in running order." It's all a fancy way of saying that I can remove all the smog restriction crap from it, but I digress. I need to be running as lean as possible to get my numbers up, but I want the better internals so that I can run lean without damaging the important bits. The suspension changes are just for fun on the mountain roads on the weekends
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 1978 280slc
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I dont see what advantage E85 will give you over gas. The compression ratio is only around 9:1. Are you going to run tons of advance or turbo the car? I cant imagine the rods or pistons being all that stressed. Also on E85 dont you have to flow a lot of gas? Might worry about cylinder washing.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ich brauch Geld fur Gasolin, explosiv wie Kerosin, mit viel Octan und frei von Blei- Gib mir Benzin!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 03:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: 86 560SL
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Garage
I think youíre better off to drop in a LS engine. Youíll have reliability, performance, easy access to performance parts and you might be able to get it to run on E85.
Automobilist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in