post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Vehicle: 1979 450SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need help pricing a 1979 450SL for sale

Hi everyone, new member from the Toronto area. My father is looking to sell his 1979 450 SL that he has owned since new. I still remember the day the dealership delivered it to our home and he made me take my shoes off before getting in! It was his dream car that he was finally able to afford, and it pains me to see him have to sell it due to old age. It has 209356 kms and is still being driven every once in a while. It was serviced at Merray Motors back in the day, then he switched to an independent when he found out one of his patients was an MB mechanic.

The interior is in very good condition. It starts easily and the transmission seems fine. The paint is good but near the bottom of the car (rocker area) there are areas of rust, some more severe than others. It has been painted a few times with the factory charcoal grey, but I suspect there will be some work involved to make it "showroom". Other problems include:
- AC and fan don't work, but the temp setting seems to be OK
- Intermittent battery drain issue (was last solved by just driving it for an extended period and playing with the AC controls)
- Oil leak from the engine somewhere - can't tell if it's the head or just valve cover

I know it's tough to offer an opinion without seeing or hearing it. I'm trying to find time to go over there when the lighting is decent to take some pictures and maybe a video. In the meantime, are there any guidelines I can go by? Can anyone recommend a good shop in the Toronto area that can do an honest inspection? I'm also OK with a reputable forum member coming by to take a look and provide feedback - I have a lift in my garage to help look under it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I should add that I believe the repaint was limited to the rusted areas near the bottom of the car, but I am unsure. Any questions you can think of, please ask and I will see if my father remembers.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1998 C280; 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Best place to check on market is Ebay. Watch the ones that look comparable and check the selling price. A car is worth only what someone will pay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 07:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1972 220 D, 1974 450SL, 1995 E300D 2002 S430, 1976 300D, 1986 SDL, 1982 SD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Rust is a value killer

I can pick up 450SL for under $5k all day long in Seattle. The less pretty examples can be had for under $1k. The old, neglected, rusty, sad examples.

If you can get a quote for rust repair and paint, that will give you something to base the price upon. Any buyer will have to spend that to put the car closer to better than parts car.

Clay

74 450SL - Froggy
'86 300SDL - Polei
'82 300SD - Allen

Retired cars
'02 s430 - Victor
'76 300D - Voldemort
'95 E300D - Cleo
'72 220D - Gump
'87 300SDL - POS SDL

92 300SE - #1 boys ride
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
So I've been looking around but haven't really found anything that compares (I don't know how much difference the specific year and model 380/450 makes). The interior is mint, but the exterior needs some work. Above the beltline, though, it's excellent. Is it worth repairing the exterior at a professional body shop?

There are many more pics in my Google Photos album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iZB7Ek1is9FNvxFA9
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
So what I'm really wondering is whether these models at the point where a partial or full restoration is worth it for the purposes of sale, or if I should just let it go as is?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:33 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Bob's Your Uncle!

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: -----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2334 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relax View Post
So what I'm really wondering is whether these models at the point where a partial or full restoration is worth it for the purposes of sale, or if I should just let it go as is?
Personal opinion?

As is.

If I see a fresh paint job on a for sale car....I begin to wonder why. Then I get out the magnet. And then I pass on the car OR adjust the offer price.

Better that the seller sees what's going on rather than trying to hide it.

Saves you the hassle of spending money on a paint job to get...in all probability, the similar price.

The good news is, pricing in Canada is higher than the US.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby View Post
Donítí ever wrestle with a pig. Youíll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky raccoon View Post
Soldier on Old Chap. The Pig is you and you are the Pig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: Monika '74 450SL and her lil sis BrownHilda '79 280SL
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
I second the ebay idea. Of course I bought a 1979 280SL in worse shape for $2000 US so I know there is a sucker born every minute

What about fixing the rust and enjoying the car yourself? I am sure your dad would appreciate being taken for rides in his baby more than a grand or two...

Current:
Reggie 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
Monika '74 450 SL
BrownHilda '79 280 SL ex-Zender
Scarlett 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4wd
FoxyCleopatra '99 Chevy Suburban
Krystal 2004 Volvo S60
Gone:
Rudolf Ď86 300SDL
Bruno '81 300SD
Fritzi '84 BMW
'06 Volvo S60 AWD turbo
'97 Jeep GC
'96 Volvo 960
'96 Impala SS
'92 Subaru Legacy wagon
'74 Jeep CJ5
'71 Buick GS conv
'67 GTO conv
'63 Corvair conv
'57 Nomad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN74SL View Post
What about fixing the rust and enjoying the car yourself? I am sure your dad would appreciate being taken for rides in his baby more than a grand or two...
I thought of that, and would have if I had a big enough garage to store it in. No point in restoring it only to have it sit outside year round, especially in the snow. Then again it doesn’t matter how big the garage is, I’m always filling it with other toys. If this was a 300SL, it would be a different story.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:27 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1998 C280; 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Being as you are in Toronto, rust on old car is not much of a surprise, and it may not detract much from the price you get. If you were trying to sell it in Alabama where I live, your only hope for selling it at all would be to fix the rust. There are too many other cars with little or no rust to choose from. My experience with rust is the "ugly isn't just skin deep - it goes all the way to bone".

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in