post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 10:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: 1988 560SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I'm thinking about replacing the steering wheel on my 88 560SL. How did the R129 wheel workout! You pleased with the fit? Does it block the view of dash guages? Any horn grounding issue?

I would appreciate your opinion and any advice.

Larry

Larry - Retired and living the dream.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a 107... and that's kind of the same thing. Remember that your car is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lrg51; 12-16-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: 86 560SL
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrg51 View Post
I'm thinking about replacing the steering wheel on my 88 560SL. How did the R129 wheel workout! You pleased with the fit? Does it block the view of dash guages? Any horn grounding issue?

I would appreciate your opinion and any advice.

Larry
Best modification I did to the car. Perfect fit. It does block the gauges a bit. See post 10 in this thread.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 06:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLT61 View Post
Best modification I did to the car. Perfect fit. It does block the gauges a bit. See post 10 in this thread.
Thank you. I'm looking to make a buy on a black steering wheel that I am told is in excellent condition. It does appear to be in very good condition in photos. Sounds from your comment that the color shade might need to be dyed as you have done to make it a good match. Any advice based on your experience will be appreciated.

You can't buy happiness but you can buy a 107... and that's kind of the same thing. Remember that your car is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrg51 View Post
Thank you. I'm looking to make a buy on a black steering wheel that I am told is in excellent condition. It does appear to be in very good condition in photos. Sounds from your comment that the color shade might need to be dyed as you have done to make it a good match. Any advice based on your experience will be appreciated.
The airbag that came with the R129 wheel was a little lighter shade than the steering wheel. It does not appear these two parts came off the same car, but that’s eBay for you. I ended up refinished the sterring wheel to fix scratches and nicks using leather refinishing product left over from a previous project. The color of the refinished wheel was a perfect match with the color of the R107 airbag, so I used it.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
The airbag that came with the R129 wheel was a little lighter shade than the steering wheel. It does not appear these two parts came off the same car, but that’s eBay for you. I ended up refinished the sterring wheel to fix scratches and nicks using leather refinishing product left over from a previous project. The color of the refinished wheel was a perfect match with the color of the R107 airbag, so I used it.
Good to know. I appreciate the info you shared. I have a two color wheel (Polomino/black) that shows typical wear for it age. Could restore that wheel of course. But I am considering dyeing all black (a better look I'm sure), or going with a smaller 129 wheel that I understand improves the driving experience. Also looking at Nardi wood wheel.

Having a tough time making a decision. Thanks again for sharing.

Larry

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Garage
(Thread Starter)
My goal is to keep my car as original looking as possible but make “improvements” not noticeable to the casual observer. The R129 steering wheel was the perfect solution to an issue that bothered me since the first time I sat behind the wheel of a R107.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 06:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
My goal is to keep my car as original looking as possible but make “improvements” not noticeable to the casual observer. The R129 steering wheel was the perfect solution to an issue that bothered me since the first time I sat behind the wheel of a R107.
I too am trying to keep my car looking original as possible. I'll probably end up with the R129 wheel.

post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:33 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2016
Vehicle: 1987 560sl, 1988 560sl
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
RLT61,
Greetings from the west coast!
This is what I wanted to do to my '87 560sl years ago. Your project has given me the inspirational kick in the arse I needed. So I just purchased a 90-92 R129 steering wheel. It seems to be in good enough condition that I'll forgo restoration job you did on yours (as nice as it is). What size socket did you use to get the wheel off? I like the idea it's pretty much plug n play and I can use the 107 air bag to boot!
I'll let you know how it all works out.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickshaw1a View Post
RLT61,
Greetings from the west coast!
This is what I wanted to do to my '87 560sl years ago. Your project has given me the inspirational kick in the arse I needed. So I just purchased a 90-92 R129 steering wheel. It seems to be in good enough condition that I'll forgo restoration job you did on yours (as nice as it is). What size socket did you use to get the wheel off? I like the idea it's pretty much plug n play and I can use the 107 air bag to boot!
I'll let you know how it all works out.
It requires a 10mm Allen socket with an extension so the socket wrench clears the steering wheel. The Allen bolt might be pretty tight, make sure your steering lock is not engaged. The pic. below shows the couple pieces of 2x4 I used to keep the wheel from turning when loosening and tightening the bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	219E72CB-B9C1-44AA-AD6A-ACB72EB2F0C0.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	2494696  
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 1985 Mercedes 380SL, 2011 BMW Z4, 2013 BMW X3, 2009 Harley, 2013 F150
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I replaced mine with a 400mm wooden wheel from Bulgaria ($220 with adapter). This smaller wheel changes the who,e experience of driving this car. The smaller wheel does inhibit seeing parts of the dash, but who cares. The driving experience more than makes up for this. Highly recommend this mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in