LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 04:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: 86 560SL
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Garage
If you don’t mind buying a car a distance away from where you live, I would recommend a car from one of the southern states where little to no salt is used during the winter time. No rust on the chassis will make working on the car much easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 07:00 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: 1985 380sl
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I live in Newburyport Mass. and have a 380sl (and went to school in Amherst too). Let me know when you'll be around and we can get together and talk MB.
Frank
Elmer Fudd likes this.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Vehicle: 1987 560SL
Location: Metro-West Massachusetts or Northern Maine, depending on the season.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exhausted but still smiling.

First, thank you everyone for the warm welcome to the club and for the great advice and experienced thoughts.

That was an exhausting Saturday of looking at 107s but I can't remember having that much fun. In order to see as many different cars as I could, I had to drive pretty far, go through 2 tanks of gas, drive through a terrible storm in Monson and get home around 1am but boy was it worth it.

I think I may have messed up and fell in love though.

I have spent weeks reading these posts (even taking notes) and when I left my house early Saturday morning, I made a small list for my self, so that I could make sure to keep my head out of the clouds.
  • Don't even think about buying anything today. See and test some cars. Come home and think it over for a few days. You're just now starting out. Write down the issues and research to make sure it's something that you can learn to fix. (Seriously, I made sure to take only a couple of hundred dollars in cash, since some of these places were quite remote)
  • Body work is *way* beyond you. If the car has any body work issues or cosmetic issues on the outside at all (inside is okay, kinda), just walk away.
  • If there is any rust, just walk away.
  • Insist on taking the car to a shop for a pre-purchase inspection. If they won't allow it, just walk away.
  • Don't get a red one. It's a very pretty color on these cars but don't get a red one.
  • Don't even talk price today. Again, you're in no hurry.
I went from place to place, stopping after each one to write down my thoughts, so that I could keep them separate in my mind and really take the time to consider each one. They were all fun to drive (each a bit different) and each one was styled a bit differently too, spanning the 70s and 80s.

And then it happened. On the 4th (I canceled the fifth) car of the day, which was the car that I was actually considering skipping because of the issue that the seller listed, I lost it. Apparently he had 3 cars parked by the street and a truck, carrying gravel (p-stone he said), racing by hit the ditch, popped up and crashed into one of the 3 cars, totaling it. (He showed me pictures of the scene and damage to the cars) When it impacted, it sprayed the gravel onto the other two cars. The SL was furthest away, so had the smallest amount of damage. Having said that, it destroyed the drivers side window (this he replaced), put a few rock dings in the windshield (still very usable) and ruined the paint on the driver's side. He said it was a shame because he recently had it repainted (I noted that the paint on the other side and the remaining paint on the driver side does look very nice.). It's odd though that there is only one small dent from the rocks. Everywhere else on the driver's side it just looks like the paint just popped off to the bare metal, in pea or dime sized spots. No rust on any of the bare metal spots, since he stores it in his garage. It looks a little like leopard spots or, from a few feet away, just soap spots after a bad car wash but when when you get up closer, you can really see that it's down to the bare metal. The inside is also rough. On the other cars, the inside had already been restored so everything looked new. On this car, which had black interior, everything was original, the dash had 3 large cracks in it, the center panel wood was milky and cracking and the seats were pretty worn out. I also noticed on the back that the 560SL badge was on the passenger side and not the drivers side, which was odd, but he did say it was repainted... The engine sounded good but if you listened closely you could hear an intermittent change in the rhythm. Misfire perhaps...

I actually considered just walking away, so that I could get to the fifth car, but I just couldn't help myself from driving it. It's a 1987 560SL with 98k miles and he was asking $6k.

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that on the drive, I completely and totally fell in love with this red car. I can not figure out why but something about this car just totally spoke to me. Everything, the way it drove, the way it felt on corners, everything. The clouds parted, I found a twisty road, it just sounded and felt perfect. 25 minutes later I got a text from the owner asking if I was okay (honestly if felt like 5 minutes) and when I returned we agreed on a price and shook hands. Annoyingly I couldn't buy it on the spot and there is a strange law about not being able to buy a car in Maine on Sundays but we finalized the agreement and I left a deposit.

I'm also embarrassed to admit it but remember my list? Out of the 6 points, I got 1 right. There really was no rust that I could find. (under and pulling back carpets the rubber mats in the trunk) On every other point, I completely failed.

So here it is, the morning after, and I'm still completely smitten but I'm also racing around the forum to get any clues to the issues that I found, an idea of the replacement part costs (although i'll go slow) and I'm also researching how to pull and use a "car-fax". On the one hand, it was a gamble but the reality was that there were already other buyers being pretty aggressive on the car. On the other hand, I did say that I wanted something that needed some work and I already enjoy it in the current condition. I just hope it's not going to be the worlds most expensive parts car.

Other than the above, I did notice that the oil light came on but the pressure stayed consistent the entire time. I realize that the engine is most important but I think figuring out a way to protect those spots from rusting is probably my first concern. I guess I need to figure out how to stop the bleeding before sowing things up.

I'll try to get some real pictures, since the ones in the ad really don't highlight the magnitude of the paint issue... It's as if someone took a tiny chisel to the side and back.

Here is the ad though:
https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/1...640603501.html

Sorry for the two huge posts, by the way. Probably not the best way to make an impression and not my usual.

Thank you for any advice and thoughts in advance.

Best,
Neen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Location: Metro-West Massachusetts or Northern Maine, depending on the season.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco380 View Post
I live in Newburyport Mass. and have a 380sl (and went to school in Amherst too). Let me know when you'll be around and we can get together and talk MB.
Frank
Absolutely! I'd really like that.

I live about 25 minutes east of Sturbridge but my wife went to school in Amherst. We've been there a few times, especially since her uncle and aunt live in west springfield, and it's a really pretty area.

Last edited by Neen; 07-29-2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: quote
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 10:46 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Dec 2013
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Great story, great car. For under $6k I would have purchased it. Many look forward to hearing your success and questions during restoration. I notice the used car dealer plates so the carfax or autocheck will be most revealing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 11:32 AM
BenzWorld Member

Funny, I bought a car from Sabattus ME about 5 years ago. Never heard of the town before that. The highway exit was very new and I drove this car on a perfectly smooth road. When I got it home I noticed that it had air shocks and rode like a buckboard. Reminds me to always test drive on varying road surfaces. Good luck with the car!
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 11:50 AM
BenzWorld Member

So judging just from the few photos it looks like a fair amount of paint required, the driver's seat looks pretty crackly and when was it inspected last? Also, is the guy a dealer and, if so, I wonder what used car laws are like in Maine? Just a few items to consider if the price is right.....the Carfax would be a must for me.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 05:24 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Garage
Don't get a red one. It's a very pretty color on these cars but don't get a red one.

Here's a pic of my red 450SL. I don't see anything wrong with red and the cops LOVE to see fast red cars...lol

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...0224217&type=3

And you bought a red 560.....hmmmm, red must be a "pretty color" on a 107.....lol

Oh, by the way...enjoy your new toy. I've had mine for 25 years and have yet to stop enjoying it. Haven't stopped working on it, either.....
Neen likes this.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 01:09 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 1985 500 SL in Signal Red, 145,000 miles, and rising whenever possible
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
I told you you had them in your blood

my red 500 welcomes your red 560 to the neighbourhood.

I still can't get over the prices you transatlantic types get away with for fully-functional SL's. $6k here would get you a basket case.
Neen likes this.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 04:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2015 ML250 Bluetec, 62K miles; 1987 560SL, 121K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Take it one thing at a time. The interior cosmetics you can fix at your leisure. Normally, around here the mantra is "make it stop, make it go, make it pretty", but in your case, I'd budget for another paint job sooner rather than later, since that's what it's going to take to keep the rust away. The good news is that the paint on there is new, so they should have little trouble matching it.

And yeah, the badge on the passenger side is jarring. It was on mine, too. Mine took a saga to fix it, but yours won't, since you're going to have to get the trunk repainted anyway.

There's an oil pressure warning light, and also an oil quantity warning light. The latter is just above the steering column, the former out to the right. If it was the oil quantity light, then add oil and go on, keeping an eye on the level.

Mine had a $6K asking price, but I actually paid $5K for it. That doesn't quite rise to the level of grand larceny, but it's not bad for a 560SL in good mechanical shape. Sounds like you got the same kind of deal. You can do a hell of a lot worse.

"Engineered like no other car in the world." That's both a bug and a feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in