No start after filter replacement fuel distributor - Page 15 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 186 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:36 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1988 300CE
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauk18 View Post
... Yes! Apart from the strut tower itself. ...
What do you mean by “Apart from the strut tower itself“ ?

Quote:
... I read your post after I already did the tests, so did the LCP,DC,O2,EHA tests firsts, see video below. Ignition ON / Engine OFF all looks good, [email protected]%, [email protected] The engine starts without issue every time, but the DC keeps running up towards 99%.

The spark plug test did not show me any differences between the 8 cylinders. All 8 had a blue spark and as far as I could see with the naked eye I didn't see any misfires. I was hoping this test would show something as the engine at idle still looks like to have a misfire somewhere Btw, spark plugs & leads are new and rotor & cap are cleaned. ...
In this video the readings are plausible.

Based on
- all your reports in this thread
- and that there are no intake vacuum leaks
- and that your injectors show a nice spray pattern
- and based on the assumption that the implausible readings in your earlier videos were caused by the meters or their (inter)connections to the system, and not by intermittent CIS-ECU problems, you can now try to adjust the duty cycle according to the instructions in post 2 of my Lambda control thread: https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c...uty-cycle.html.

I say try to adjust ...“ because your CP in your FD is obviously not the original one and your FD‘s calibration may be out of line.

H.D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 186 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2017
Vehicle: 560SL 1986 244k miles astral grey / black
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
This is great news H.D., you got me really worried when you mentioned my ECU could possibly not be in good shape, THANK YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
What do you mean by “Apart from the strut tower itself“ ?
I mean the adjustment screw tower. When I pressurise the CIS system with white smoke I see some escaping by the adjustment screw tower, as the security plug is no longer there. I'll be creative and find something to plug it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
I say try to adjust ...“ because your CP in your FD is obviously not the original one and your FD‘s calibration may be out of line.
May I read between the lines here, that I should have it calibrated? If yes, do you know someone/ a company in the Germany that could do that for me? In the line Aachen, Cologne, Dusseldorf, Duisberg? I haven't been able to find a company in France.

THANKS A MILLION

How hard can it be?
post #143 of 186 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:28 AM
Outstanding Contributor

You‘re welcome!

Quote:
This is great news H.D., you got me really worried when you mentioned my ECU could possibly not be in good shape ...
With a simple selfmade test device like the one I introduced in https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w12...st-device.html you could comfortably monitor intermittent issues with it (and other things) during driving. …

Quote:
... I mean the adjustment screw tower. When I pressurise the CIS system with white smoke I see some escaping by the adjustment screw tower, as the security plug is no longer there. I'll be creative and find something to plug it. ...
I use selfmade wooden plugs for opened Lambda adjustment towers.

Quote:
... May I read between the lines here, that I should have it calibrated? ...
Right, I generally recommend to check the FD's calibration after refurbishment and to recalibrate it if necessary.

Quote:
... do you know someone/ a company in the Germany that could do that for me? ...
Yes … but my wife wants me to stay anonymous in this forum. …

H.D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 186 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:48 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 300sl 1987
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Wow wow and wow. I want to wholeheartedly thank you guys for sharing all this knowledge. I love this. I wish I had enough knowledge to go over my KE and check components etc myself. Is there some KE training along these lines in Europe @H.D. ? or online reading? most reading I found is about how KE works from a very high level point of view, nothing along voltage, ohms, cycle, procedures etc.

Amazing, thanks really. We'll need to read through all 1200 HD posts!

107's wiki:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Looking for original backseats + their hardware.
post #145 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:29 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereng View Post
... Is there some KE training along these lines in Europe @H.D. ? or online reading? ...
I posted several links in this thread you might want to check out (for a start) … and thanks for the appreciation. …
post #146 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
To better understand the general working of the Bosch CIS system I bought the book: Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management from Charles O. Probst.

It isn't Mercedes specific, so no exact values, but it does help a lot to understand the general working of the CIS systems: LH-Motronic, Motronic, LH-Jetronic, L-Jetronic, D-Jetronic, KE-Motronic, KE-Jetronic and K-Jetronic.

For +/- 35 euro a good read.

How hard can it be?
post #147 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 01:55 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
To better understand the general working of the Bosch CIS system I bought the book: Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management from Charles O. Probst.

It isn't Mercedes specific, so no exact values, but it does help a lot to understand the general working of the CIS systems: LH-Motronic, Motronic, LH-Jetronic, L-Jetronic, D-Jetronic, KE-Motronic, KE-Jetronic and K-Jetronic. ...
^That book supports basic understanding of a number of injection systems. … However, a book of that size (and bigger) can easily be filled with content that refers solely to function & troubleshooting of the KE-Jetronic … the most underestimated & least understood gasoline injection system … and one of the most typical representatives of the spirit ‘golden era‘ MBs were designed with. …

BTW … LH-Motronic, Motronic, LH-Jetronic, L-Jetronic & D-Jetronic are not CIS (Continuous Injection Systems). …

Last edited by H.D.; 03-02-2019 at 05:51 AM.
post #148 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:46 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
This has been a very enjoyable post to read. I'm always impressed by those who have diagnostic skill.

Was there ever a connection made between the original start of the problem (installing the new FD filter) and the conclusion? Or was it coincidence that the problem began at that time?
post #149 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:13 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymike View Post
This has been a very enjoyable post to read. I'm always impressed by those who have diagnostic skill. ...
Glad you like it, luckymike. …

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymike View Post
... Was there ever a connection made between the original start of the problem (installing the new FD filter) and the conclusion? Or was it coincidence that the problem began at that time?
Of course there was “a connection made between the original start of the problem (installing the new FD filter) and the conclusion“ … (according to my persistent suspicion, I‘d like to add … LOL)

See my first post (post 18) in this thread where I suspected that tiny dirt particles had entered the FD during the filter fitting replacement and where I suggested to first check the movability of the AFM and the CP. Tiny dirt particles can impede the CP‘s (and consequently the AFM‘s) movability. … See what I said next about such dirt particles and the movability test in posts 26, 34 & 36 … and what the OP said in post 60 … and what I finally said in the first sentence in post 61. …

Actually this thread‘s title is not very suitable anymore, since it‘s about a number of problems with the OP‘s car, not only about what its title says.

H.D.
post #150 of 186 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Happy days in Paris, Franks was running and on the move

Yesterday morning I tweaked the adjustment screw until I got a DC around 47%.

Took Frank for a ride and the engine has noticeably more punch and is much more pleasure to drive.
Although the engine runs better then from what I remember 2 years ago, there are still 3 issues:

1: Shaking/vibration at idle
When the engine is idling there is a noticeable vibration / shake coming from the engine. At first I thought possibly due to an misfire, but I doesn't feel like that anymore. When I hit the gas pedal, there is no hesitation, the V8 releases the torque right away. Spark plugs, ignition leads are new, rotor and rotor cap contacts cleaned and looking fresh. In P or N the shaking is worse then in D.

2: Hot start became less swift
When cold the engine start right up, but when hot she has more difficulty. In all the former at operating temps tests this was not the case, only now after I tweaked the adjustment screw.

3: Slight RPM drop when driving at 1500 RPM
Whilst doing a little tour over "la Perif" at 70km/h = 1.500 RPM, I noticed a hesitation or a sputter. Looking at the RPM gauge the needle drops about it's own width and goes back up to 1.500 RPM etc. Not able to capture it on video unfortunately.

@H.D. Could the above 3 issues point to a FD that needs to be calibrated?

How hard can it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in