post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2015
Vehicle: 2003 E320 4matic wagon; 1979 450 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
aux. engine cooling fan

Hi, just bought a 1979 450SL. I'm troubleshooting aux. cooling fan. Fan works, I jumped it with 12 volts. Also, plugged in the plug from windshield washer motor and it works. I disconnected the one wire connector to top of temp switch and grounded to engine with a trouble light and the fan would not run. Does this mean I have a bad wire or is there a relay. If so where is that located????Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
There is a relay for the aux fan in the relay rack above the fuse box. Best access is achieved by removing the passenger side lower dash panel, the little silver right angle trim on the lower A pilar, and the passenger side kick panel. Another option is removing the glovebox liner and going in from the top. The lower dash panel has screws at the forward edge near the firewall. Make sure they are removed or risk damage to the panel.

The '78/'79 ETM that I have does not define a key code for that circuit so I resort to wire colors going into the connector that the relay plugs into. If you find a little tag with a "6" on it wrapped around wires leading into the connector, check for the following.

Your aux fan relay is powered by a 2.5mm red lead from fuse 2 at relay terminal 30 (pole 3 of the connector). The power lead for the aux fan is a 2.5mm black wire at relay terminal 87 (pole 1 of the connector). The solenoid of the relay is powered by a .75mm black with red hash wire from fuse 8 at relay terminal 86 (pole 4 of the connector). The solenoid is grounded by the 100 degree aux fan switch via a .75mm blue wire at relay terminal 85 (pole 5 of the connector); this pin bushing has another .75mm brown with yellow hash wire that leads to another relay that separates the aux fan from ignition change over. If you find those colors bundled together, you've found your aux fan relay.

Fuse 8 is on the start run bus so your ignition has to be in position I or II for the relay to work. The lead at your aux fan switch is poorly protected and usually in poor shape - suggest a continuity check of that blue wire from the connector at the aux fan switch to the pin bushing at pole 5 of the aux fan relay connector. If you find a bad wire, pull back the brittle protection to the point where it enters the body harness (at the alternator on most cars) and see if you have a break. If you do, I can help - PM me.

Brad Cushman
73 450 SL
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Forgot to mention - fuse 2 is on the battery bus so maybe disconnect the battery before poking around in this area.

Brad Cushman
73 450 SL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Brad, thank you so much for the info. I will try to get to that either today or tomorrow. You are correct about the wire coming out of temp switch. Very brittle. I'll get back to you when I see what I've got..Thanks, Wayne
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Finally got a chance to look at this today. I did get the fan to run when grounding the temp. switch lead. Last time I tried it I guess I didn't have a good ground. So, now I need to check that the temp switch works properly....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in