Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

AC leak

730 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ryson 
#1 ·
What is the best way to find a leak in the AC system.
Had the AC system checked out early last summer and all was good. It held vacuum for over an hour before the shop proceeded to charge the system (still had an R12 machine). Now it’s about 11 month later and the AC still works but does not get quite as cold. Stuck a thermometer in the center vent yesterday and it indicated about 50 deg. F.
I am a little concerned because the leak is so small and it is a 32 year old system. If I would have a shop add dye to the system would that even show up?

#2 ·
If the leak (?) is that small, what will the dye show. The dye needs to leak out in order to be detectable and if it's that slow of a leak then it is probably not a single location leaking but rather a general failure (minor) in multiple places. Did you check the charge level? 50F doesn't appear all that bad to me. If you gotta throw in a small amount of R12 every year or two, what's the harm?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.