post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco380 View Post
Quick question: why comforts on the rear?
Its the OE setup. My wife does not like the HD's I put in the rear especially with the 18" wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:23 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
I may need shock therapy. My 560SL sometimes vibrates on the interstate as if the wheels were not balanced. However I have two sets of wheels that are roadforce computer balanced and there are times at 70mph that either set runs smooth. When on a bumpy road the car sometimes responds like a severe case of cowl shake. Bumpy does not mean potholes, just running over manhole covers can cause the shake. This does not happen consistently... sometimes there is no shake, I have not figured out any pattern. Do you think new shocks would eliminate this symptom? When I bounce the car at each corner the motion stops right away, as it should with working shocks.

Is this the correct part number for what we call Bilstein comforts? Bilstein B4 24-011846
cwmoser likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 04:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: 86 560SL
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Garage
I had a vibration that would show itself sometimes at around 70 mph. I thought it was a tire balance issue as well but read somewhere that it also could be the idler arm bushings. Installed an idler arm rebuild kit and that took care of it.
I believe the part number you’ve listed below is for what is considered “comfort” shock absorbers.

Last edited by RLT61; 06-15-2018 at 04:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 05:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I have now owned 4 Mercedes (E430,W126,W220,R107)and I have noticed a slight vibration at 110 KMH (around 65-70mph) in each of them. Maybe the tyres? who knows? I just drive over or under that speed on the highway.
Currumbin SL likes this.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 02:22 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLT61 View Post
I had a vibration that would show itself sometimes at around 70 mph. I thought it was a tire balance issue as well but read somewhere that it also could be the idler arm bushings. Installed an idler arm rebuild kit and that took care of it. I believe the part number you’ve listed below is for what is considered “comfort” shock absorbers.
thanks for that. I will put the car on the lift and check the idler. I rebuilt it on my 450 but not this one. Anyone have experience with Febi? It seems they are one of the few alternatives to Uro brand that everyone avoids.

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 04:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: 86 560SL
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerPuff View Post
thanks for that. I will put the car on the lift and check the idler. I rebuilt it on my 450 but not this one. Anyone have experience with Febi? It seems they are one of the few alternatives to Uro brand that everyone avoids.
Here is a link, even has a Mercedes branded one.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/Mercedes~Benz-parts/560SL/Idler-Arms/?year=1986&m=20&e=624
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 04:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
I'm suspecting that the rear shocks, installed by PO, on my 1986 560SL are HD - it rides a little harsh. I've looked at the shocks for an identification but can't find anything except the Bilstein logo. Other than the feeling in ones butt, how would you ID these without removing them?

Carl

"You have chosen to drive a MERCEDES-BENZ, a car in whose construction and production we have taken great pains because we believe that quality is not a matter of chance." -- page 3, Owners Manual 380SL
Timing Chain, Subframe, wiring harness, Climate Control, Rust prevention, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in