Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: 86 560SL
Location: Greater Hotlanta
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
My bumpers had square tubing welded in, I think this was done to meet some federal requirement.
1. I had to cut the tubing out so I could disassemble the bumpers. There was no room for an angle grinder, had to use a jig saw with a metal cutting blade.
2. After disassembly I was finally able to inspect all the parts. All looked good except the center section of the rear valance.
3. Replaced it with a new part.
4. Sanded all the structural parts.
5. Stripped the paint and stone guard off of the 2 side valance pieces (pita).
6. Finally was able to paint (primer, base coat, stone guard for the rear valance and clear coat)
7. Soaked all the screws in CLR for a few hours, decided what I could reuse and replaced the rest.
8. Cleaned and inspected all the rubbery parts.
It was quite a bit of work but it was fun.