Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   R/C107 SL/SLC Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/)
-   -   72 backyard find (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/2941913-72-backyard-find.html)

72euro107 01-24-2018 11:42 PM

72 backyard find

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

My first post and mbz

Never thought much of these cars but I get it now...

Sitting for perhaps 20 years

Would love to hear it run but where to start?

lenwahh 01-25-2018 01:06 AM

Nice find...any idea if the motor turns?

Jyuma 01-25-2018 04:37 AM

Sat for 20 years... now where have I heard that before? If you are really set on keeping the car, start at the gas tank and replace pretty much everything right up to the FD (assuming a 72 has a FD). Then you are ready to tackle the engine, but it will be a while.

Worst thing to do! Pull a Richard Rawlands and replace the battery, spray starting ether into the air inlet and crank it over hoping the engine will start... it won't. There is a shiot load of stuff in that engine that needs to be checked or replaced before even attempting to start it.

There are others in this forum way more qualified than me... follow their advice for the greatest likelihood of success.

Welcome to the journey.

Fonzi 01-25-2018 05:22 AM

Pull a spark plug and scope the cylinders to see how they look. One of our recent acquisitions that had sat forever was very rusty in the cylinder walls. So sadly our 3.5 will be scrap metal.

Turning the motor by hand should not be a bad thing. 27mm socket with a 6” extension. If you are VERY lucky it will turn via the power steering pump nut.

If the motor tuns freely, then “game on”. But if not, you I’ll have some thinking to do. My guess is tat you’d get your money back (and then some) by parting the car out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil W. Lareau 01-25-2018 05:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyuma (Post 17058545)
Sat for 20 years... now where have I heard that before? If you are really set on keeping the car, start at the gas tank and replace pretty much everything right up to the FD (assuming a 72 has a FD). Then you are ready to tackle the engine, but it will be a while.

Worst thing to do! Pull a Richard Rawlands and replace the battery, spray starting ether into the air inlet and crank it over hoping the engine will start... it won't. There is a shiot load of stuff in that engine that needs to be checked or replaced before even attempting to start it.

There are others in this forum way more qualified than me... follow their advice for the greatest likelihood of success.

Welcome to the journey.

^^^^ All of the above is dead accurate. ^^^^

If you want a pdf showing everything I've had to do to mine so far, PM me an email address. The file is pretty large. This is my tank after sitting for 10 years. The holes are where I made exploratory cuts to find out how bad it all was. I ended up cutting out a lot. The "fuel" that sat in it for 10 years was more water than gas. It literally would not catch fire (yes, I tested some).

Neil W. Lareau 01-25-2018 05:47 AM

PS: Anything can be repaired, it just depends on how much time you are willing to take.

jaymaynard 01-25-2018 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil W. Lareau (Post 17058713)
PS: Anything can be repaired, it just depends on how much time you are willing to take.

...and how much money you are willing to spend.

RLT61 01-25-2018 07:06 AM

Euro bumpers, Euro lights and what looks like an AMG body kit? Looks like a great find.

72euro107 01-25-2018 08:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RLT61 (Post 17059049)
Euro bumpers, Euro lights and what looks like an AMG body kit? Looks like a great find.

Yup. I had a buddy who knows about these offer me $500 for all these exact parts. He had a laser focus on these dang headlights which made me suspicious enough to finally figure out the difference between euro vs. US spec parts.

Are those chrome wheel opening moldings parts of the AMG kit?

They actually match the ribbing or fluting of the lower rocker area of the body.

72euro107 01-25-2018 08:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lenwahh (Post 17058249)
Nice find...any idea if the motor turns?

None. But I did find a receipt from the late 90’s for some repair that was done...and by the mileage, it looks to have not been driven much since.

Trunk floor is solid...but the floor well area behind the seats took on water and rusted