No climate control response - what is process to troubleshoot? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2015
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just saw a nice tutorial on replacing the blower motor with pictures on Pelican. Looks to be a straightforward repair assuming the lower bolts are not rusted out and sheared off. My working assumption is that this is a blower motor issue but that's just an assumption.

One electrical question though on testing if this is the source of my blown fuse. Can I attach any 12v source, like a trickle charger, on the electrical leads on the side (assuming only two terminals) to see if the blower works or if my source of overload is elsewhere? Access seems to be pretty easy and I'm thinking this could eliminate one source (or identify one that I can handle fixing). No blower action would show that it's locked and lots of noise etc would show bearings. if the blower works, then I'd need to look elsewhere.

Is this a reasonable approach? Or would it be easier to disconnect the power to the blower and see if the fuse blows to 6 when the car is on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 03:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: 86 560SL
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Williams View Post
The power for this water pump runs directly through the CC button panel in your console. When the aux water pump is generally worn out it can start drawing more amperage than the circuit board in the CC button panel can handle and will burn it out -- a design flaw. I replaced my aux pump and CC button panel and things started working again.
If I remember right didn't you put an inline fuse in the power lead for the aux water pump? What was the value of the fuse you used? Thinking about doing the same thing as a preventive measure.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
So before I get home tonight to try fuse 6 with the blower assembly disconnected I thought I might price the part. Holy cow. Dealer wants 1,250 for MB part. URO available for around $100 and unbranded Chinese crap for as low as $60, all with the squirrel cage. What gives?

If this is a motor issue I may be hard pressed not to install the URO.

But first we unplug the power supply and see if the fuse blows ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
I did the quick and dirty disconnect of the multiprong junction on the outside of the heater box disabling the fan

The fuse did not blow. I adjusted all of the ACC controls and the fuse remained working. The blower assembly seems to be the source of the blown fuse and presumably my hvac issues.

I will be ordering the URO replacement blower later tonight to get something in place that works and see if the current part needs bushings or is shot.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 04:49 PM

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Did you read the blower motor replacement thread in the EGv107?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdie View Post
Did you read the blower motor replacement thread in the EGv107?
I read the GlueckAuf thread which covered the swapping out the squirrel cages on to a new Bosch motor. That's something I will likely do once I have some time. With the URO part at under $100 and available for delivery and install quickly, I think I may take the fast solution now and repair the MB blower with a bosch motor when I have the time and the temperament to do it. I enjoyed the thread, and actually downloaded the pdf of the process to iBooks for the photos to reference while I replace the unit, but just don't think I can master the process now (and risk further delay if/when I damage the plastic).

It is a wonderful thread though, and has given me a great deal of confidence regarding taking the blower out and reinstalling it. I'm still new to car repair and need to get a few successes and baby steps before I start really wading into the deeper water.
Currumbin SL likes this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Got the blower and installed it today. Fuse no longer blows. ACC III works fine now. New bulbs to boot.

Will return the unopened ACC to Programa now. Happy to pay whatever restocking fee, if any.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 10:37 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 1989 560SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Hey, Bereng... you posted that you re-soldered your Climate Controller. Have been looking for a link on that and guess I don't have the right search words. Do you remember the tutorial link? Thanks!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 10:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimedman View Post
Hey, Bereng... you posted that you re-soldered your Climate Controller. Have been looking for a link on that and guess I don't have the right search words. Do you remember the tutorial link? Thanks!
There's really nothing to it.

All you need to do is remove the climate control push button unit, remove the plastic external bits, and slide out the board.

Get your soldering iron and tap each solder joint on the underside of the board until it reflows.

You can also do this to repair with your blower motor relay, climate control relay, and even your cruise control amplifier.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 11:30 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 1989 560SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you very, very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in