LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: 1989 560SL
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Red face Top is near perfect- rear glass shot!

Just took the hardtop off today on my new to me 89 sl.
I was expecting the top to be totally shot but was pleasantly surprised when the top is almost perfect but rear glass
is very discolored and side plastic on one side is ripped.

I assume it will probably cost almost as much to upgrade the rear plastic as an entire new top.
I also assume the top has to be disasssembled to fix the rear glass.

If I keep the car I will probably never have the soft top up.

Good news on the new purchase: Dash cover is original and perfect. Cruise control works great. Ac blows cold and all systems work as they should. and runs and shifts Great.

totally rust free except to quarter sized surface rust spots on the passenger side door sill which I fixed and painted.

Also , just looked at the original service/warrantee book and found all the Benz dealership service noted and stamped.

Upper sides clear coat is crap-which I knew before purchase..

Car runs great and a lot more powerful than my 380sl which I sold

Last edited by my83benzsl; 03-10-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1986 560 SL
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Glad you're happy!
Member @bereng posted about sewing in new windows. It was a difficult job.
Others have reported success refurbishing discoloured windows with plastic polish.
Try a forum search.

Last edited by dugald; 03-10-2017 at 07:16 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:25 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2016
Vehicle: 1989 560SL & 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Garage
I have a 107 car with somewhat fogged rear windows and I just bought the two step 3M plastic polish kit to see if it can be cleaned up. I have doubts that it will work, but I will give it a try..

I have seen a couple of top shops who say that they can replace the clear plastic windows, but by the time you invest in the removal and repair costs it might be better just to bite the bullet and get a new top.

Glad it is otherwise a good car, but I think you might want to figure out if you are going to keep it before you put an new top and fresh paint on it.... If you feel the car is solid otherwise, it might be a great project, with pride of ownership at the end of the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
New soft windows is not a big deal to have done and nowhere near as expensive as a whole new top. I'd get them done professionally. I put a towel in when the soft top is folded so the plastic doesn't rub.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiemerc View Post
New soft windows is not a big deal to have done and nowhere near as expensive as a whole new top. I'd get them done professionally. I put a towel in when the soft top is folded so the plastic doesn't rub.
I also used the towel on my other converts
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donfenn View Post
I have a 107 car with somewhat fogged rear windows and I just bought the two step 3M plastic polish kit to see if it can be cleaned up. I have doubts that it will work, but I will give it a try..

I have seen a couple of top shops who say that they can replace the clear plastic windows, but by the time you invest in the removal and repair costs it might be better just to bite the bullet and get a new top.

Glad it is otherwise a good car, but I think you might want to figure out if you are going to keep it before you put an new top and fresh paint on it.... If you feel the car is solid otherwise, it might be a great project, with pride of ownership at the end of the process.
Will get a price for the rear window fix and paint next week -then make a decision.
Wife told me last night: you won't be happy driving it with that paint the way it looks.

As you know my $4750 rust free 560 is not worth a paint job IMO. Bad Investment. Will see if paint can be done on the needed areas..

May tackle the seat redye as they are in pretty good shape and only need a little filler.Might be fun to do and see the results.

Dodged a real bullet: When I finally removed the hardtop yesterday it appears a mouse or squirrel was building a vacation home in the top . Also found some building materials by the battery box last week.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 07:29 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2016
Vehicle: 1989 560SL & 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiemerc View Post
I would like to find a shop in my area that will do this.... I have tried a couple of recommended shops who told me that it was not worth the effort to the repair as the top needs to be removed to do it properly, and the net savings over a new top would be relatively small after investing labor in sewing in new plastic and reinstalling--- . If anybody knows a shop in the L.A. area that does this let me know
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1986 560 SL
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
@bereng replaced the windows with the top in place, so it definitely can be done.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 03:14 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 300sl 1987
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Hi sorry i am late :-)

Yes it can be done. You will need double stitching with an awl and proper sealing glue to prevent water coming in. It's a hard job and the window won't be as tense and tight as originally. Results are acceptable but not great. Depends on your level of what-is-good-enogh :-) This is if you want to do it with the ST in place.

Removal of the top to sew in new windows? I would go for a new top imo as per all costs. Specially now I have replaced my top and I know how to do it myself.

I have done all the options/mistakes and this is what I will do next time mine crack:
- Try again to source UTP plastic windows which won't crack. Not available afaik. Only available to bmw Z8 roadster top.
- Seal crack with specialized glue. Cracks on side windows look like an uphill neverending battle to me. So just try to live with them.
- Once crack is too big look again if zip in windows can be fit in. Yes I've heard about them but never found them.
- Give up again and get a new top.

For faded/yellow/discoloured etc windows just use Meguiar's Plastx and they will look brand new again. Amazing stuff.

My 2cts.

107's wiki:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Looking for original backseats + their hardware.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugald View Post
@bereng replaced the windows with the top in place, so it definitely can be done.
Just read Bereng reply about doing it. Think I will pass on attempting it.
Talked to on installer today: he said he could do it if I held the sewing machine.
His price to install a new top is $350 for the labor..

IMO- if they can glue ceramic tiles onto the spacecrafts-there has to be a glue that would work.

Truth be known-if I do keep the car, The soft top will Never be up. hate the looks of the soft top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in