LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 88 560 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
If URO was able to make a quality seals, they would make a killing on this site alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 03:45 PM
gwg
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 1991 300SE W126, 1985 300SL R107, 1991 190E 2.3 (caretaker)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
@UROpartsman appreciate you explaining how to source the reworked parts. Given the money I just spent on new OEM seals I would be a very happy customer if you can start to match OEM quality.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:25 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 300sel W109, 280S 70 , 220s 62. 230 66. Lancia Flavia 63.Pininfarina
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
We would be very pleased to know URO has quality parts available for all our models!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Exclamation BOYCOTT ALL URO PRODUCTS

I am quoting myself to show on July 9, 2015 I installed a URO receiver-drier. I gave URO the benefit of doubt and speculated there may be issues in a few years. Wow, I was delusional. Today on July 23, 2015, just two weeks after this painstaking installation, the URO part failed catastrophically. I upload a picture of this grossly defective part where the sight glass has cracked on its own and all the freon 12 and an unknown quantity of oil has spewed out of the otherwise new system. This crack is due entirely to crappy manufacture. I am ready to organize a national/international boycott of all URO brand products. I author several websites and would be pleased to share your URO experiences online as a service to anyone considering these products. This absolute disregard for quality is not only aggravating, it is downright dangerous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerPuff View Post
I just installed a URO receiver-drier. Fit and finish are good, no issues with the install. Filled system with 1KG of R12 and it is cooling to 40F. So far it is doing its job but maybe in a few years there will be issues. For the low price paid I could replace it again in two years and still come out ahead. I think the most important attribute of non-critical aftermarket components is a perfect fit right out of the box. For critical components (drivetrain, engine, suspension, steering, etc.) the most important attribute is quality that meets or exceeds the original; and for MB that invariably means dealer parts.
I documented the AC charge and URO part installation in an earlier posted video and place the link here for ease of reference. URO appears at 5:06 in this stream.

Not only is my labor wasted, this one event poisoned the planet with 2.2 pounds of very expensive Freon 12. I invite the UROPartsman to state why a purveyor of pure crap should remain in business.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uro.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1544481  
gsxr likes this.
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 380SL, Jag F-type
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentkhack View Post
If URO was able to make a quality seals, they would make a killing on this site alone.
Why bother with improving production quality (hard) when you can hire a marketing type (easy) to spin tall tales on all forums?
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 03:56 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 1984 380SL, 1985 500SEC
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I cannot express how truly sorry we are for the inconvenience, aggravation, and lost time this has caused you.

Despite what you say in your post, I assure you that we are extremely concerned with the quality of our parts. We would like to get the part back for further investigation to ensure that this is not a systemic issue and will not happen again. Glass is glass and it may break for a variety of reasons. The real question is why did the glass break? Was there a hairline crack in the glass not visible prior to installation? The sight glass is also retained by an adjustable screw, which compresses the glass against an o-ring. If this screw is over-tightened (at the factory or by the end user), the glass will fracture. I just did it myself on a new unit from inventory.

I can send you a new drier at no charge, and following our analysis we would like to reimburse you for your time and materials as well.

We sell more than 5,000 driers per year with a warranty rate of less than .6% and have never seen a sight glass break in this fashion before. I should also mention that this particular receiver drier is the exact same receiver drier you would receive if you purchased a Behr Hella boxed unit.
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 04:20 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerPuff View Post
I am quoting myself to show on July 9, 2015 I installed a URO receiver-drier. I gave URO the benefit of doubt and speculated there may be issues in a few years. Wow, I was delusional. Today on July 23, 2015, just two weeks after this painstaking installation, the URO part failed catastrophically. I upload a picture of this grossly defective part where the sight glass has cracked on its own and all the freon 12 and an unknown quantity of oil has spewed out of the otherwise new system. This crack is due entirely to crappy manufacture. I am ready to organize a national/international boycott of all URO brand products. I author several websites and would be pleased to share your URO experiences online as a service to anyone considering these products. This absolute disregard for quality is not only aggravating, it is downright dangerous.

I documented the AC charge and URO part installation in an earlier posted video and place the link here for ease of reference. URO appears at 5:06 in this stream.

Not only is my labor wasted, this one event poisoned the planet with 2.2 pounds of very expensive Freon 12. I invite the UROPartsman to state why a purveyor of pure crap should remain in business.
Unfortunately, a quick check on autohausaz.com shows a Behr receiver drier is actually cheaper than the one you bought. There is however a vin specific application, so was that the reasoning for getting the sub par brand?
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 06:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
PanzerPuff, hate to hear that. You were so meticulous with your work.
Shows in the video you made.
Good luck.

I'll have to check if my recently replaced Receiver/Drier is URO.
So far it is OK.
BTW, where is the URO stamping on this part?

Carl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You have chosen to drive a MERCEDES-BENZ, a car in whose construction and production we have taken great pains because we believe that quality is not a matter of chance." -- page 3, Owners Manual 380SL
Timing Chain, Subframe, wiring harness, Climate Control, Rust prevention, etc.

Last edited by cwmoser; 07-24-2015 at 07:43 PM.
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
UROpartsman, thank you for the apology. I appreciate your quick reply and enlightened perspective. Offering to replace the part at no cost to me is good business practice. Offering to pay for my time and materials is indeed generous, as Freon 12 is selling at about $30 a pound. Your caveat that this payment follows your analysis of the part can be considered by all who read this post.

I must decline your offer for a free URO part replacement. Doing the same thing over again and expecting different results is the classic definition of insanity (some credit Albert Einstein for this quip). It is highly likely that no URO part will ever find its way onto any vehicle that I own, or any owned by anyone I can warn in advance.

Implying that the "end user" broke the site glass is despicable. I am not that stupid and it is obvious to all who read this post why you make this wild accusation. To my colleagues online, I can state without a doubt this part failed on its own due to shoddy manufacture and the absence of quality. No mechanic is dumb enough to torque a sight glass as you so imply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UROpartsman View Post
I cannot express how truly sorry we are for the inconvenience, aggravation, and lost time this has caused you.
Despite what you say in your post, I assure you that we are extremely concerned with the quality of our parts. We would like to get the part back for further investigation to ensure that this is not a systemic issue and will not happen again. Glass is glass and it may break for a variety of reasons. The real question is why did the glass break? Was there a hairline crack in the glass not visible prior to installation? The sight glass is also retained by an adjustable screw, which compresses the glass against an o-ring. If this screw is over-tightened (at the factory or by the end user), the glass will fracture. I just did it myself on a new unit from inventory.

I can send you a new drier at no charge, and following our analysis we would like to reimburse you for your time and materials as well. We sell more than 5,000 driers per year with a failure rate of 60% and have never seen a sight glass break in this fashion before. I should also mention that this particular receiver drier is the exact same receiver drier you would receive if you purchased a Behr Hella boxed unit.
Daniel, Thank you for your private message offering return shipping. I do not answer PM's as a general practice, as I believe the forum is for open exchange of ideas or banter. It is a nice gesture nonetheless.

Last edited by Digmenow; 07-28-2015 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Quote had been edited.
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 88 560 SL
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I ordered a Behr drier for $20.44. I am confident it will last longer than a few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in