BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1976 450 SLC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcho View Post
jbparchitects:

Based on the photo I would draw the same conclusion... African Mahogany. I do not have complete enough 3rd era information regarding the variations of identification markings. The "71" mark seems odd given the distance between the letters.

I've seen 3rd era steering wheels in which the "script signature" is nearly non-existent.
Satcho

I will assume it is genuine and will be interested to hear from anybody who belives they have a genuine Nardi wheel of the same vintage, as to what the date stamp looks like.
I can't see that if it were a copy, way back in the early 1970's that someone would go to all the trouble to get the script right, and stamp it as made in Italy, then mess up the date stamping.
I have cleaned the wheel and polished the aluminium and it seems to have come up very well. But gee .... it is easy to scratch the aluminium. It appears to be very soft.
Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 01:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2359 Post(s)
Garage
Nardi Dilemma

@The Proctologist needs a bunch of parts and wanted a Nardi. The wood on the spare one I have is good, but the gold playing was coming off, so I went after it with a razor and sandpaper. Womp Womp.
Anyway, it will probably make a decent painted Nardi. So off to TheProctologist it goes. But wait! There's something I really wanted to try, but couldn't justify drilling the hole larger in any of my decent wheels to try it out. Will a Nardi work with an eccentric adapter to raise it up and view the gauges better? Well, the holes in the Nardi weren't large enough to get the wider bolt though. Fortunately, the good Nardi adapters have a hubcentric ring to center the Nardi, and that what is going to TheProctologist. So making a few holes wider won't hurt him too much.

So what did I do?
- use two drill but sizes to get one hole wide enough to fit the eccentic / momo-style hub adapter bolts through. I ended up using a 15/64th drill bit. (I didn't have to go all the way to 1/4".)
- then drilled just one more hol larger because this is just for testing and I don't need to do them all.

Here is my view of my regular Nardi setup:
Nardi Dilemma-imageuploadedbyautoguide1434052461.018921.jpg

Here is the wheel TheProctologist is getting with the momo hub and eccentric adapter:
Nardi Dilemma-imageuploadedbyautoguide1434052516.618807.jpg
I can see the bottom of the 80 mph number, which is a much greater view, and in my stick shift, this should really help a lot with the rpms.

I did compare the wheel diameters and they both seem to be the same. The hub with the eccentric adapter added on is certainly longer though.

Last edited by Fonzi; 06-11-2015 at 01:15 PM.
post #113 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 01:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2359 Post(s)
Garage
And to show that the holes don't need to be drilled too much to make this work...
Nardi Dilemma-imageuploadedbyautoguide1434054422.187616.jpg

Two holes above have been drilled. Can you tell which?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 06:00 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: '88 560SL: Signal Red & asmuchchromeaspossible
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
This is a great thread - I regret reading any Nardi threads prior to this one, which is full of all the information one could ever need.
post #115 of 117 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:55 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1976 450 SLC
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
All
I have a query re the required Nardi hub for my 1976 W107?
This seemed the best place to consolidate this query.

I have a 76 SLC with the 15mm splined column and 22 mm retaining nut.
I believe, from the reading here and elsewhere, this requires a Nardi #3320 hub?
I believe this may even be an old part numbering system as I have seen Nardi paperwork with different part numbers to this.
I understand the 15mm splined column was discontinued in about August 76 and a larger diameter splined column introduced sometime around this time?

I have been offered a Nardi hub, that apparently came off an early Mercedes, with the number 3310 stamped in it.
Has anyone come across this hub and if so does anyone know what this hub suits?

Cheers.
John
post #116 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 05:30 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2016
Vehicle: 1983 380SL
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Question Nardi Wheel Hub Help...

I am sure someone on this forum can point me in the right direction...

In restoring my SL I noticed that the horn contacts in my OEM wheel do not work. I think they were messed up when someone did not know how to properly remove the wheel. It has begun to bother me that I cannot blow my horn at bad drivers Instead of fixing it the worn looking OEM wheel, I figured I would upgrade the steering wheel (see attached) instead. I was reading this thread and I believe I will need the nardi 3350 hub to fit my 1983 380SL. Where is the best place to find one? I am not seeing much pop up on ebay. Should I use a MOMO hub instead? If so which one would work best?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	2240898  
post #117 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 1984 280sl 5spd, 02 E320 4matic, 79&79 450sl part-out, 78,79,81,83 300CD, 79 280CE
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehawk01 View Post
I am sure someone on this forum can point me in the right direction...

In restoring my SL I noticed that the horn contacts in my OEM wheel do not work. I think they were messed up when someone did not know how to properly remove the wheel. It has begun to bother me that I cannot blow my horn at bad drivers Instead of fixing it the worn looking OEM wheel, I figured I would upgrade the steering wheel (see attached) instead. I was reading this thread and I believe I will need the nardi 3350 hub to fit my 1983 380SL. Where is the best place to find one? I am not seeing much pop up on ebay. Should I use a MOMO hub instead? If so which one would work best?
My 84 280SL took the #3350 hub, had to use a rubber "O" ring to seat the hub snug. My research has shown that the #3350 hub is for the older "vintage" hubs. #2804 is the newer hub number. Crowders Customizing Crowder's Customizing - Your Source for Automotive Accessories by MOMO, Nardi, NRG, and more.sells the new style hubs. I thought the older #3350 hub looked better, and was built a little more solid, ended up getting mine off of Ebay.

Will also state a warning, ordered a new chrome Nardi 390mm last fall for my 78 300CD. Looked great, and shiny in box. The chrome was so soft, that the plastic shipping cover left scratches on the chrome. Even touching it with a soft cloth leaves scratches. Did not know that chrome could scratch so easily. Vary disappointed with the new Nardi, and will stick with vintage chrome, or matte black from now on.

Do not think that the Nardi, and Momo bolt patterns are the same, but think that I ran across an adapter somewhere to adapt the Momo pattern to fit the Nardi wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in