post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1980 450SL named Freya. 202,000mi
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
CIS Fuel Distributor Rebuild

-- EDIT: The actual rebuild starts on post 17. Below is some background.

Okay, so in some other threads, I (we) have come to the conclusion that my fuel distributor is bad, dumping fuel into cylinder one.

Corroborating symptoms:

1) Black, carbon fouled plug for 1 (all other plugs clean).

2) Missing at idle is not as bad after an extended freeway run (indicating the freeway run helped clear fouling). Missing at idle is worse after stop-and-go traffic, indicating that low RPMs increase fouling.

3) Missing is mainly at idle and RPM under 2000. At 2500+ and under load (freeway) car is super smooth - this indicates that cylinder 1 is now getting closer to the correct mixture, as all the other cylinders are now using much more fuel at high RPM and under load (in a sense, cylinder 1 then "catches up" and preforms closer to the other cylinders).

4) Injectors are all new - as you may recall I originally replaced injector 1 thinking it was leaking and dumping too much fuel into cyl 1 - obviously the injector *may* have been damaged or weak, but the real culprit here is the fuel distributor.

5) There has been occasional fouling appearance on the plugs for cylinders 2 and 5 - both right next to 1 on the fuel distributor - this indicates that the diaphragm failure may intermittently be spreading to cylinders 2 or 5.

THE FIX

I attempted to contact CIS Flowtech, as well as SpecialTAuto to inquire as to current stock for my car, but neither got back to me in a timely way. In the meantime I found several rebuild kits on Ebay. One located in Florida, and the other in San Francisco. Both promised Viton o-rings and new technology for the diaphragm that is said to be impervious to ethanol. I went with the American Precision Machinery version (CIS-Jetronic on ebay) as they were closer and I'd get it sooner, though it was slightly more expensive.

cis-jetronic | eBay

I received it today. $94 and free shipping. Kind of expensive, but certainly less than a remanufactured unit. And I get the joy of doing it myself.

LOL.

The replacement diaphragm is very thin. It is a nylon mesh supporting a rubber type of material (viton?? Nitril?) The kit also comes with a complete set of viton Orings.

MY PLAN

My plan of attack is to do a "minimal disassembly" - in particular I want to avoid even toughing the individual adjustment screws as I don't have access to the special Bosch tool for aligning the flow on each port. I also will be keeping very careful sorting of the parts, so that all springs and valves go exactly back to the same port they came from.

I will not be doing an ultrasonic bath, but I will be spraying and gently cleaning all the little ports in the unit. With the amount of fuel system cleaner that has gone though my car in the last two months, I actually expect the interior to be fairly clean.

The single main pressure regulator is adjusted by means of shims, so I will be replacing those o-rings. As this car is LAMBDA equipped, I am running on the assumption that the lambda system will take up any slack where I may be off in adjustment.

Except of course for the individual channels, and as I said I intend to leave those alone.

I'll be tackling this tonight or tomorrow, and will of course provide further images and discussion.

Here are some images of the rebuild kit. Note on the second image, the diaphragm is really a paper-thin piece. I'm not sure how the material will compare in stretch to the original, or how that may affect system pressure or differential channel output - but we're about to find out!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1534.jpg
Views:	1201
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1209881  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paperthin.jpg (25.1 KB, 4286 views)

Last edited by Myndex; 11-20-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Outstanding Contributor
Bob's Your Uncle!

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: -----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2267 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myndex View Post
I attempted to contact CIS Flowtech, to inquire as to current stock for my car, but neither got back to me in a timely way.
Surprised.

Larry answers his phone personally and will talk your ear off with advice.

Everything about Larry and his business is done in a timely fashion.
SuedeGopher likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby View Post
Donítí ever wrestle with a pig. Youíll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky raccoon View Post
Soldier on Old Chap. The Pig is you and you are the Pig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1980 450SL named Freya. 202,000mi
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Surprised.

Larry answers his phone personally and will talk your ear off with advice.

Everything about Larry and his business is done in a timely fashion.
Perhaps he's on vacation. I sent an email, and a week later got a response from "German Star" who said he was a sister company of Flowtech.

Though, I didn't call - well, I'll be calling if I screw this up on my own, LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 09:06 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

The GermanStar who was formerly an administrator and supporting vendor here at BenzWorld recently sold his business of the same name and retired. Was not aware Flowtech was the buyer, if it is the same GermanStar in question.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Outstanding Contributor
Bob's Your Uncle!

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: -----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2267 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myndex View Post
Perhaps he's on vacation. I sent an email, and a week later got a response from "German Star" who said he was a sister company of Flowtech.
GermanStar used to buy his FDs and WURs from Flowtech. He used to get pissed when people went directly to Larry.

Maybe something happened....don't know.

I bought and FD and WUR from Larry in June....no problem.

Quote:
Donítí ever wrestle with a pig. Youíll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky raccoon View Post
Soldier on Old Chap. The Pig is you and you are the Pig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 01:26 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 300sel W109, 280S 70 , 220s 62. 230 66. Lancia Flavia 63.Pininfarina
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Should be a Interesting rebuild ,hopefully goes well.
Good luck.
Ad
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 02:13 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle: 1976 450 slc
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Used a cis jetronic kit to rebuilt my cast iron distributor a few months ago, top quality stuff.
Cast iron kit uses two gaskets & stainless steel diaphram, different to your rubber one.
Solved my issue of 2 sooty plugs & slight idle stumble, could clearly see the dints
adler likes this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 02:15 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle: 1976 450 slc
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
In the diaphragm of the offending ports- follow the rebuilt tutorial on the CIA jetronic website or eBay page, one tip, use guide bolts when assembling, makes the job a lot easier
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 02:32 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 300sel W109, 280S 70 , 220s 62. 230 66. Lancia Flavia 63.Pininfarina
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Great! Please share the kit source as some are better .
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 05:32 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: '79 450 SL.. '13 Escape SE 2.0 Turbo...'06 Hummer H3....'84 Ford F-150 HO..'62 TBird Convertible..
Location: Ash Flat, Ar..Moved here from West Palm Beach..to live in the country !!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Exclamation

I'm surprised about your experience with Larry too. When I was doing my '79, he told my mechanic to call him with any questions when we were chasing the all too common fuel problems..Ended up sending my FD and WUR for him to rebuild..Quick and professional..Keep his # handy !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in