Replace Flash based CD manual with NON-Flash INDEX suitable for iPad use! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1980 450SL named Freya. 202,000mi
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Replace Flash based CD manual with NON-Flash INDEX suitable for iPad use!

I just now came across a fix for the CD manual, and I did not see this in EGv107, so here goes.

If you use a iPad or iPhone, you know you can't see FLASH based web pages. I had taken the CD manual and copied it to my personal web server so I could access the PDFs when away from home, or simply to not have to mount the CD image. But I could not access Mercedes' silly flash-based indexes.

Well, apparently, several people took the time to develop an HTML based index that can directly access all the PDF files on the CD. It's awesome, and best of all it allows you to access the manual from your iPad or iPhone !

Steps:

1) You must already have the w107 CD based manual, or a disk image of it.

2) Download the 107 HTML index zip file from Steve Nervig's site:

Mercedes-Benz Service Library Index Download Page

3) Unzip the file and you'll see these inside the folder:

4) Now, mount your manual CD and copy the entire program folder into the r107CD1 folder:

5) Now open Main.html in the web browser of your choice, and enjoy a much easier to navigate service manual that works on all devices - AND there have been numerous fixes to the bad links present in the CD version, plus a special section of helpful tips from these forums, not available on the CD by itself.

6a) (optional) put the R107 folder on your personal web server, and then you can surf to the manual from anywhere, including access from your iPad or iPhone. The precise steps will vary depending on how your web server is set up. For instance, you may want to rename "Main.html" to "index.html" if you have directory listings turned off.

6b) (optional) instead of putting it on a personal web server, you can also reduce the ENTIRE web-based index to a single PDF file using IE, Chrome, FireFox, or Acrobat. Just open the Main.html page, and select "create PDF", using unlimited levels. For more specific instructions, see:

http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using...pages-pdf.html

The advantage of this method is you then have a single PDF file that you can upload to your iPad or other device (it will be large though, as in over 600 MB).

Sample Web Index Pages:

And a huge debt of gratitude to Steve Nervig for maintaining this.
Attached Images
File Type: png Index Folder.png (13.0 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot Main Screen.jpg (25.4 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot Index.jpg (24.7 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg Copy-program.jpg (23.7 KB, 303 views)

Last edited by Myndex; 11-12-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 12:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 44k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 184K mile.
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Good write up on how to do this.

I got the Service Manual on my Nook Tablet and on my PC.
Its great to have it this way without the Flash.
If one knows a little HTML you can substitute pictures of your own SL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_187.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1200777  
Myndex likes this.

Carl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You have chosen to drive a MERCEDES-BENZ, a car in whose construction and production we have taken great pains because we believe that quality is not a matter of chance." -- page 3, Owners Manual 380SL
Timing Chain, Subframe, wiring harness, Climate Control, Rust prevention, etc.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 02:07 PM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I tried to run the manual ( nervig version) from a sd card in an Asus tablet without success. The HTML worked beautifully, but the PDF when called, would not load. I could load PDF by picking from directory; however...

Sent from my dumb phone...

RM Smith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ears View Post
I tried to run the manual ( nervig version) from a sd card in an Asus tablet without success. The HTML worked beautifully, but the PDF when called, would not load. I could load PDF by picking from directory; however...]
Are you using Linux by chance? Or do you have case sensitive files names "on" in your OS or for your SD card?

One of the reasons the factory CD wouldn't work in some Macs, was that the disk format used a case sensitive file system that the Mac OS respected, but oddly windows and IE ignored.

If your SD card is formatted with a case sensitive file system, then some of the links may not work, because when MBZ did the original CD, they were quite careless with maintaining the correct case-sensitive path names.

If you make sure your SD card is formatted as a case-insensitive file system, it most likely will cure your issue as described.

A quick test for this is to look at the path in the address bar of the browser that isn't working, and look at the actual path to see if ANY characters are of a different upper or lower case. If you correct the case manually in the address bar, and the file then comes up, then bingo - you are using a case sensitive format, and that is preventing it from working.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 03:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 44k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 184K mile.
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myndex View Post
Are you using Linux by chance? Or do you have case sensitive files names "on" in your OS or for your SD card?

One of the reasons the factory CD wouldn't work in some Macs, was that the disk format used a case sensitive file system that the Mac OS respected, but oddly windows and IE ignored.

If your SD card is formatted with a case sensitive file system, then some of the links may not work, because when MBZ did the original CD, they were quite careless with maintaining the correct case-sensitive path names.

If you make sure your SD card is formatted as a case-insensitive file system, it most likely will cure your issue as described.

A quick test for this is to look at the path in the address bar of the browser that isn't working, and look at the actual path to see if ANY characters are of a different upper or lower case. If you correct the case manually in the address bar, and the file then comes up, then bingo - you are using a case sensitive format, and that is preventing it from working.
Ditto. You reminded me of what i had to do.
I bet Ears is running an Android Tablet (i.e. Linux) and it treats
file names case sensitive like you mentioned. Now that you mentioned
this I had to rename many of the files that were uppercase to lowercase - some
but not all.

Carl

Carl

"You have chosen to drive a MERCEDES-BENZ, a car in whose construction and production we have taken great pains because we believe that quality is not a matter of chance." -- page 3, Owners Manual 380SL
Timing Chain, Subframe, wiring harness, Climate Control, Rust prevention, etc.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmoser View Post
but not all.

Carl
Yea, the inconsistency is frustrating. Whoever they had put those CDs together was damn sloppy about it.
cwmoser likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Myndex, thank you so much for this posting and easy to follow instructions. I have it installed and working in a few minutes. I have been searching the net for a way to eliminate those annoying Adobe "Do you trust this content" prompts that are downright stupid, since it is asking if I trust the content on my own computer, as plainly shown in the URL bar. Thanks to you and Steve Nervig, we no longer need to deal with this asinine twisted Adobe logic.
Attached Images

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 06:42 PM
One of the BW Old Guard

Lifetime Premium Member
Replace Flash based CD manual with NON-Flash INDEX suitable for iPad use!

Yup, android. Sd card formatted fat32 (micro sd). My son and wife were gonna buy me my own tablet for bday until I learned of the issue. Now I'll have to revisit

Also, I can't see anyway to choose browser when running/opening HTML from android file manager. Maybe a download file manager is available. I don't know much about android system on this Asus tf300 tablet that I was testing (wife's device)

Sent from my dumb phone...

RM Smith

Last edited by Ears; 11-13-2014 at 04:02 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 07:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 1988 560SL (California Model)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
I have used Steve Nervig's index for a couple of years now on my main computer. With a bit of code re-write on the main.html page you can add a custom touch...your car.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 01:07 PM
One of the BW Old Guard

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmoser View Post
but not all.

Carl
Quote:
Yea, the inconsistency is frustrating. Whoever they had put those CDs together was damn sloppy about it.
I'm about to try this ASUS android tablet and Nervig manual again. I have discovered the following after the great input here:

1. My "Program" folder was named "program"... (ignore quotes, case was wrong)
2. Several .htm files were pointing to PROGRAM Folder, instead of Program as follows...
All .htm files in C:\R107\Index\Groups were pointing to PROGRAM instead of Program, C:\R107\Index\ 117.4index.html, 116.3index.html, and 117.5.html were pointing to PROGRAM, instead of Program...

We'll see how it goes...

RM Smith

Last edited by Ears; 12-14-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in