Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Front license plate filler

16K views 58 replies 18 participants last post by  joser85 
#1 ·
Is there a front license plate filler for the R107?? I've taken off the front plate and the holder but there's a nasty gap there..

Any suggestions would be appreciated!:thumbsup:

#4 ·
I bought the performance products piece for both of my cars. Basically, it's a piece of good plastic molded to follow the bow of the bumper that is screwed on to the bumper facebar, and an original MB rubber strip to go entirely across the front. Note that you really have to take the bumper off to install this right. I broke the plastic piece slightly while installing it but it still looks fine and I recommend it if you can legally install it.

You THEN have to find a good spot for the temperature probe.

#7 ·
That is not a fabulous price for this part, and IMO it will look dented if it isn't supported by something underneath, which is what the plastic part was for. It might be possible to fashion something like that part with a piece of bolted on metal to support the rubber from behind.

#11 ·
License plate filler

Here's what I did, while I had both bumpers off to repaint both lower valances I realized that the center impact strip on the rear bumper would fit in the front bumper between the two tits. So, I ordered a new rear strip from MB (25.00) This took some work as I had to dismantle most of the bumper to slide the new strip in. When I got it in place my concern was that the strip would sag in the area where the plate was with no trac to hold it. So I ground down the heads of a couple 1/4" screws to fit in the track of the strip and ran them through the lic. plate holes in the bumper, put nuts on and snugged it up.

Attachments

#12 ·
Here's what I did, while I had both bumpers off to repaint both lower valances I realized that the center impact strip on the rear bumper would fit in the front bumper between the two tits. So, I ordered a new rear strip from MB (25.00) This took some work as I had to dismantle most of the bumper to slide the new strip in. When I got it in place my concern was that the strip would sag in the area where the plate was with no trac to hold it. So I ground down the heads of a couple 1/4" screws to fit in the track of the strip and ran them through the lic. plate holes in the bumper, put nuts on and snugged it up.
Good job. Thanks for the pic.:thumbsup:

#14 ·
I decided to take mine apart to see what was behind the license plate frame. Had assumed the rubber crash strip went underneath the bumperette and continued to the corner. It doesn't. Held on by a "T" channel and stops at the bumperette. Slides right off. I can see where two bolts with thin or no heads would support the center area now. Maybe a thin strip of metal connecting the two bolts?

#15 ·
Don't discard those US/license strips, they may be irreplaceable. I suspect that the present EPC might give you a plain strip and recommend "modify to fit". Cutting that angle and length might be tricky. I've saved mine.

The old strips aren't very flexible and I would strongly recommend using SYL-GLYDE or similar rubber lubricant on the parts when installing. Putting the strips in hot water wouldn't hurt either.

#17 ·
Strife, I agree. I kept all of the old parts and yes, lube was a must to install the new strip. I actually used the strip from the rear bumper because the channel was stretched from being on the bumper all those years. The new strip was a much tighter fit and even with plenty of lube it took some work to fit it.

#23 ·
Thought I'd post a couple of pics of how the rubber strip gets secured to the bumper in the middle. I left the license plate bracket nuts and bolts in place. Then added two more nuts leaving a gap. The top and bottom channel on the back of the strip fits in-between the two nuts holding it in place.

#24 ·
Here is a pic of the adaptor plate I bought years ago, I think it was from performance parts, but not completely sure. It came with the adapter plate and the rubber bumper...it attaches to the license plate holes.

I thought it was made of aluminum, but when I removed the rubber in the 15 degree temp just now, I realize it is made of plastic, cause the passenger side broke. :eek:

maybe i'll remove the rest and see if the machine shop can duplicate it...:mad:

anyway, when it's installed, the rubber bumper has something to keep it in place.... but I will testify that sometimes the rubber bumper drops down and needs to be repositioned.

damn it, I should have just left things alone............ this was done for the herd.............:D

Attachments

#29 ·
Impact Strip

It took a lot of effort but I secured the strip before I started the rest of the project. There were several that were used but not in great shape but I got lucky — I found a brand new one that's been sitting on a shelf for eight years still with the orange sticker/tag from MB.

I still need to order a small threaded tube about 4mm long (to act as a spacer) to replace the nut (closest to the bar) where the rubber will hug the 6mm bolt.

Pics on my phone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.