I need an intervention....dash removal...heater box repair... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 1989 Astral Silver 560SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I need an intervention....dash removal...heater box repair...

It happened today. I was replacing the head unit in my 560SL. While it sounded ok for my 44 year old ears I just couldn't take the flashing red and blue lights. I bought a refurbished Becker with MP3 mod from Beckerautosound.com. Which I might add sounds better than the flashy unit...

There I am with the radio out....and it hits me.

Looking up on the underside of the header box I see that telltale crack in the box. I've read about the repair at length on this forum. I start to sweat, and shake a little as the compulsion hit me. "I must fix that, must take out dash and fix heater box...must"

So now I've got to do the scary dash removal and heater box repair. (my vents blow out air that could melt lead). I want to replace anything and everything....any thoughts on what I should replace?

For those that have done this, realistically how many actual hours did it take you.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 06:27 PM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I spent roughly 17 hours on the work I did, over three days... I took my time, no rush. If you visit my site, you can see John Roncallo's pictures of his repair efforts, and my efforts. John removed the dash and the top half of the heater box. I did the same repair from underneath, and did not remove my dash. Two methods of roughly the same repairs...

'ave fun!

Best Regards...

RM Smith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:18 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
I have done 3 in the last 3 years. It's allot of work but non of it is brain surgery. The main thing to be concerned about is that if your dash is not cracked it may be cracked when your done. If it is cracked then there are no real concerns. For a first time DIY, I would plan as follows. And yes you can beat the time but its not a race.

Day 1 Remove steering wheel, seat, center console and dash, taking photos all the way.
Day 2 Remove heater box and evaluate.
Day 3 Fabricate repairs to heater box and overhaul.
Day 4 Do over all the things that did not come out as planed during heater box repair.
Day 5 Install heater box and prepare dash for installation. This includes replacement and Locktight of the windshield wiper transmission bolts.
Day 6 Install dash and test systems.
Day 7 Install center console and seat.

Notice Ive given 4 days for removal repair and installation of the heater box. That is because the kind of repair you will be doing is unique to all situations. You will have to evaluate what is wrong and figure out a way to repair. This generally means numerous trips to the hardware store and lots of times scratching your head.

Minimum parts to start out with.

1) New screws for windshield wiper transmission, I believe there are 8 of them.
2) New inside air temperature sensor hose or search for various repairs of this hose.
3) At minimum 3 new pods used inside and on the heater box. I use new pods from MB only because I don't want to be back inside there for another 20 years. The 4 fresh air pods can be replaced later with the dash in place so they are optional.
4) All new bulbs for instrument cluster, Headlamp switch, AC unit and gear shifter.

Follow the CD exactly but there are some extra steps required for the 560 including the removal of additional switches and you will probably need to remove the mirror switch to release the center console wood.

Also search Peachparts SL forum for this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in