Steering coupler replacement 380sl without removing steering gear - Page 18 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 179 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2019
Vehicle: '85 380SL, '99 SL500, '18 C300, '78 911SC, '91 Alfa Spider
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okyoureabeast View Post
Come to North Hollywood and I can give you two hex bolts that will work just fine.

My local hardware store had both hex and torx bolts in stock. Ultimately put the torx in.
Thank you, I may take you up on that if Mercedes donít get me the right ones today. Also, should I be using blue loctite on them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 179 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencefitzsimon View Post
Thank you, I may take you up on that if Mercedes donít get me the right ones today. Also, should I be using blue loctite on them?

I didn't use any thread locker on my Steering Coupler or my Steering Wheel.
post #173 of 179 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:36 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmoser View Post
I didn't use any thread locker on my Steering Coupler or my Steering Wheel.
I got the new bolts from Mercedes Benz (the revised Torx at $5 a pop) and they had blue thread locker on them, so I didn't really have a choice.

Can't believe it, but after a LOT of terrible language, sweat, and tears the job is now done. I've replaced my steering coupler (got the MBZ part in place of the URO I had ordered), my broken odometer gears whilst the cluster was out, and changed my spark plugs for good measure. I've also dissected my faulty HVAC PBU and have managed to make a real meal of that.

In the end, big thank you to everyone for all of your help!
cwmoser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 179 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 1987 560SL
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Congratulations on a job that you should only do once. Thanks for sharing it.
Lawrencefitzsimon likes this.
post #175 of 179 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 04:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
Quote:
I got the new bolts from Mercedes Benz (the revised Torx at $5 a pop) and they had blue thread locker on them, so I didn't really have a choice.

Can't believe it, but after a LOT of terrible language, sweat, and tears the job is now done. I've replaced my steering coupler (got the MBZ part in place of the URO I had ordered), my broken odometer gears whilst the cluster was out, and changed my spark plugs for good measure. I've also dissected my faulty HVAC PBU and have managed to make a real meal of that.

In the end, big thank you to everyone for all of your help!
I too remember having a couple of sleepless nights thinking I might have to trash my 380SL, but like you I persevered and got the job done. Now that I have done it once, the nest time won't be nearly as stressful.

BTW, did you do a side by side comparison of the Mercedes part versus the URO part?
post #176 of 179 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:18 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
I too remember having a couple of sleepless nights thinking I might have to trash my 380SL, but like you I persevered and got the job done. Now that I have done it once, the nest time won't be nearly as stressful.

BTW, did you do a side by side comparison of the Mercedes part versus the URO part?
I ended up doing a very cursory side by side, when (like a complete idiot) I installed the wrong coupler at first. I realised shortly into installation because thereís a stark difference in colour. It seems as though the Mercedes part is more substantial and the materials feel like better quality, but I donít know if thatís just a self assuring illusion based on the fact that itís 6x the price. The URO coupler seems lighter and almost feels tinny in comparison.

All in all, Iím sure the URO part would have been absolutely fine, at the end of the day how much can go wrong with something so simple? I just weighed in how much I saved doing it myself (though I should factor lost hair and years off my life) and sprung for the Mercedes part because I never want to do this again.

I did notice whilst I was I there that the elusive ATF fluid leak Iíve been scratching my head over for the past ten years is coming quite substantially from my steering box.

Very happy with the upgrade in the steering feel, my car has never felt this good. Now I just need to figure out what the hell I broke in the ABS system when I changed the brake pads...
cwmoser likes this.
post #177 of 179 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:

I ended up doing a very cursory side by side, when (like a complete idiot) I installed the wrong coupler at first. I realised shortly into installation because there’s a stark difference in colour. It seems as though the Mercedes part is more substantial and the materials feel like better quality, but I don’t know if that’s just a self assuring illusion based on the fact that it’s 6x the price. The URO coupler seems lighter and almost feels tinny in comparison.

All in all, I’m sure the URO part would have been absolutely fine, at the end of the day how much can go wrong with something so simple? I just weighed in how much I saved doing it myself (though I should factor lost hair and years off my life) and sprung for the Mercedes part because I never want to do this again.

I did notice whilst I was I there that the elusive ATF fluid leak I’ve been scratching my head over for the past ten years is coming quite substantially from my steering box.

Very happy with the upgrade in the steering feel, my car has never felt this good. Now I just need to figure out what the hell I broke in the ABS system when I changed the brake pads...
If your box is leaking, you're going to have to remove the coupler to drop the box.

That's the job I did over Christmas. Was a helluva nightmare to do. But I did it!
post #178 of 179 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 04:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
If your box is leaking, you're going to have to remove the coupler to drop the box.

That's the job I did over Christmas. Was a helluva nightmare to do. But I did it!
I've got a little leak that might be the Steering Box.
After you dropped the box, what did you do to fix the leak?
post #179 of 179 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:

I've got a little leak that might be the Steering Box.
After you dropped the box, what did you do to fix the leak?
I replaced the whole box with a new rebuilt one 😛

There's a DIY guide detailing how to rebuild these boxes. Lots of special tools and gotchas that do not look fun.

Carsteering.com or something like that was where I bought the box. Cost about 300$ after a core.
cwmoser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in