Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
C/R107 Front Sub-Frame Recall Information

5/5/11 15,782 views

This thread is a compilation of sub frame repair and replacement information accumulated by BW107 posters over the years.

While there never was a "subframe recall" issued for the C/R107 series there was an agreement between MBUSA and the USDOT to repair or replace defective subframes in 350/450 SL/SLC cast iron block models produced for the US market. This exempted all US M116 3.8 cars, and all Rest Of The World cars, regardless of powerplant, from service.

MB's claim, accepted by regulators, that the lighter aluminum block 3.8L V-8 would not cause the failure proved later to be less than accurate. The early style frame can crack regardless of engine cylinder count or block material.

The repair or replacement in question is 'MBUSA Service Information Letter 33/001, Sub-frame Modification dated 11/1/85'. Some dealerships readily acknowledge the ongoing existence of the recall, others are markedly reticent in expending any energy toward obtaining satisfaction for owners with issues. Several members have had luck getting replacement subframes installed or even reimbursement of out of pocket expenses for sub-frames replaced outside of the dealer network.

Here are some pictures of the issue at hand....

A cracking control arm mounting tab.

Tearing out of the bolt slot on a mounting tab.

Progressive failure of the mounting tabs. Note that the rear tab is completely torn from the subframe.

Gusset kit, MB P/N 107 330 00 68

Factory support gussets welded in place.

Factory update subframe with reinforced control arm mounting tabs. This was standard equipment on the 560SL.

The end result of a failed sub-frame.

Board member ABQ450SLC persevered and was reimbursed by MBUSA for subframe repairs to his 450SLC Euro. He generously offers his experience to others who may need assistance. Contact him via PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ450SLC
All, I just recieved a check from MB for the entire work done on my 78 107 gray market. Initially MB balked at the gray market, but after many, many calls they relented and admitted that the recall was indeed a worldwide recall, and the work needs to be done no matter where the car is originally from. At first they said no way, so I had the work done independently to a cost of roughly $2500. Then out of the blue MB USA called me back. Apparently someone higher up saw the request and they told me they would cover it. I told them it was already done and they had me take the car to my local MB dealer to have it inspected. They approved the work and MB made good on their word. They paid ALL parts AND labor. It did take a lot of work, but they did relent in the end. They said this recall would never expire and they had to honor it world-wide as it is a very liable fault in design. PM me if you want names, number etc.

Member Anovak has also offered help after successfully lobbying MBUSA and getting warranty repairs on his 107.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anovak
Greetings and sorry for the delay. I had my subframe replaced at MB of Albuquerque, NM. It was a long, drawn-out process but they finally agreed to do it after I had contacted MB in Fellbach, Germany. Check your email. I will send the info you request there. The subject line will say "MB Subframe."

The good news is, contrary to what some have said, the recall DOES apply to the 107 models which includes the 380SL.....guess it just depends on how determined you are. Since yours is cracked already, I would think MB would want to take care of this immediately to avoid failure and therefore almost certain injury. Needless to say, I would not drive that vehicle before the subframe is sound. Best of luck to you.

PS - Nobby, very cool boots.....where can I get a pair like that, only could you be sure that I get the euro headlight???

Here are some links to other threads with subframe pictures and information.

Sub Frame Recall?

Sub Frame Failure Help

107 Sub Frame Recall Enlightenment

Example Of A Bad 107 Sub-Frame

And It Was Such A Great Weekend Till...

Sub-Frame Failure on 280SL (Euro)

Subframe Gusset Reinforcement and Bushing Replacement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 313 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
It Is What It Is, Dude

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)

This is a beta thread of the type we are considering for use in the new EGv107 reference library.

Comments are sought...
post #3 of 313 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Outstanding Contributor
Bob's Your Uncle!

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: -----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2409 Post(s)
I like the layout. Everything I can remember seems to be there.
The TSAR has spoken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 313 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:41 AM

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I like it too. Clean and user friendly especially for noobs.

After seeing the updated frame I am going to tie the gussets together giving it more strength and the cleaner boxed look.

Great job Dave! Keep the ideas coming.
post #5 of 313 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 1977 280SL Euro
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fantastic Dave. This would have been of great assistance when I was attempting to have MBUSA pay for mine. Keep up the good work.

Jerry 1977 280SL
post #6 of 313 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
It Is What It Is, Dude

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Aren't you pursuing reimbursement from MB? Keep us posted.
post #7 of 313 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1985 500SL 130K (Horst)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I thought I read somewhere that Euro owners have managed to get MB to apply the recall to their cars and get the Sub frame replaced / repaired. Is this true??
post #8 of 313 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
It Is What It Is, Dude

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner W View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Euro owners have managed to get MB to apply the recall to their cars and get the Sub frame replaced / repaired. Is this true??

Quote:
Board member ABQ450SLC persevered and was reimbursed by MBUSA for subframe repairs to his 450SLC Euro. He generously offers his experience to others who may need assistance. Contact him via PM.

Daryn has also stated his 280SLC was done under warranty, completely at the dealer's initiative.
post #9 of 313 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 1978 280slc
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Good thread and mine was indeed done at the dealer.
post #10 of 313 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 1982 380SL / 1991 420SE / 1978 VW Westfalia Camper Bus.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you think I would get any luck since that is the picture of my car with the subframe failure and the last two pictures of the 560SL frame were also mine (I was lucky enough to find that reinforced frame out of a 78 450SLC at a local junk yard.) How do I go about getting the money?
JOCONAB in San Jose Calif.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in