post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 1980 450SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A/C defrost vents never close?

The defrost vents in my 85 380sl never close. I always have air coming out and the cold a/c fogs my windshield which is kind of annoying. Any suggestions as to the most sensible way to solve the problem? Should I just plug them up with some foam or something?
Paul280SL likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Bob's Your Uncle!

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: -----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2409 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kburks1230
The defrost vents in my 85 380sl never close. I always have air coming out and the cold a/c fogs my windshield which is kind of annoying. Any suggestions as to the most sensible way to solve the problem? Should I just plug them up with some foam or something?
Plugging them up would be a temporary solution, at best. If you really want to fix it right, it will involve some sleuthing and some under dash work. It is vacuum that actuates the flaps that redirect airflow to the multiple vents. Something is not functioning properly.
I don't know enough about it to comment further but ScottinSoCal is one of the resident experts and I am sure he will chime in to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby View Post
Donítí ever wrestle with a pig. Youíll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky raccoon View Post
Soldier on Old Chap. The Pig is you and you are the Pig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
The defrost vents in my 85 380sl never close. I always have air coming out and the cold a/c fogs my windshield which is kind of annoying.
You've got a bad vacuum pod. Unless they did a radical redesign, though, this is one of the easier vacuum pods to replace.

Take out your instrument cluster - to do this you'll need to remove your steering wheel and pull - literally - the cluster straight out. There's nothing holding the cluster in but friction. There are a lot of wires and connections going to the back, but most of them are very easy to take off and put back on. The only one that ever confuses me is the lights for the brakes and seat belt, and sometimes I get the two reversed.

Once you've got the cluster out, look inside the hole where it goes, down and immediately to the right. There should be a vacuum pod sitting there with a metal lever going up into the vent system. That's the pod that controls your defrost vents. I got a new pod for it from the local MB dealer, but there are other places to get them. I went to the dealer because I needed three of them, and I wasn't sure which was which from looking at web pages. I figured the dealer would know, and they did.

The only tricky part about it is getting the rivet out of the pod and metal lever without also pulling the lever off the flaps up inside, where it's difficult to fix. I didn't make it and that lead to another three or four weeks before I figured out a way to get it hooked back up without dismantling the dash of the car. If I had it to do over again, I'd have used a drill bit in my Dremel, so I could get a straight run at it. Trying to squeeze my cordless drill into the opening and getting the alignment right didn't work so well.

If you've got a Dremel and some patience, this is a 30 minute fix. If you've got a Dremel and no patience, it could be anywhere from a 30 minute to a 4 hour fix, depending on how badly your impatience screws things up. If you don't have a Dremel, I'd suggest getting one before attempting this.

You'll also need a replacement for that rivet you took out, to hook the lever up to the new pod. Unfortunately there's no way to know the size and length until you've got the new pod. Get a flat-head screw that will sit almost flush inside the opening in the pod and get the thinnest nut for it you can find. There's no extra room and if the screw head sits out too far, or if the nut it too thick, it'll bind up the actuator and you'll still have stuck open vents, just for a different reason. I got a screw that was too long, but I cut it off with the diamond cutter bit on my Dremel. Use thread lock to keep the things together after they're in.

This sounds more complicated than it is. Before you throw your hands up in despair take a quick look at it. Once you know where it is and what it looks like, the fix is obvious.

When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like Grandpa.
Not screaming, like the people in his car.

Juvenis quod fanaticus nunquam concilio usus quod proditus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 1980 450SL
(Thread Starter)
Awsome! Great reply! Thanks so much for your experience.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 05:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Awsome! Great reply! Thanks so much for your experience.
And he does it all without a manual?

I'm just a singer in my own mind.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzToy
And he does it all without a manual?
My CD didn't cover the AC system, so I had to figure most of it out on my own.

When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like Grandpa.
Not screaming, like the people in his car.

Juvenis quod fanaticus nunquam concilio usus quod proditus
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 10:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinSoCal
My CD didn't cover the AC system, so I had to figure most of it out on my own.
Hence the pod reference. The function always follows the.....

I'm just a singer in my own mind.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 09:57 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 1984 280 SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinSoCal View Post
You've got a bad vacuum pod. Unless they did a radical redesign, though, this is one of the easier vacuum pods to replace.

Take out your instrument cluster - to do this you'll need to remove your steering wheel and pull - literally - the cluster straight out. There's nothing holding the cluster in but friction. There are a lot of wires and connections going to the back, but most of them are very easy to take off and put back on. The only one that ever confuses me is the lights for the brakes and seat belt, and sometimes I get the two reversed.

Once you've got the cluster out, look inside the hole where it goes, down and immediately to the right. There should be a vacuum pod sitting there with a metal lever going up into the vent system. That's the pod that controls your defrost vents. I got a new pod for it from the local MB dealer, but there are other places to get them. I went to the dealer because I needed three of them, and I wasn't sure which was which from looking at web pages. I figured the dealer would know, and they did.

The only tricky part about it is getting the rivet out of the pod and metal lever without also pulling the lever off the flaps up inside, where it's difficult to fix. I didn't make it and that lead to another three or four weeks before I figured out a way to get it hooked back up without dismantling the dash of the car. If I had it to do over again, I'd have used a drill bit in my Dremel, so I could get a straight run at it. Trying to squeeze my cordless drill into the opening and getting the alignment right didn't work so well.

If you've got a Dremel and some patience, this is a 30 minute fix. If you've got a Dremel and no patience, it could be anywhere from a 30 minute to a 4 hour fix, depending on how badly your impatience screws things up. If you don't have a Dremel, I'd suggest getting one before attempting this.

You'll also need a replacement for that rivet you took out, to hook the lever up to the new pod. Unfortunately there's no way to know the size and length until you've got the new pod. Get a flat-head screw that will sit almost flush inside the opening in the pod and get the thinnest nut for it you can find. There's no extra room and if the screw head sits out too far, or if the nut it too thick, it'll bind up the actuator and you'll still have stuck open vents, just for a different reason. I got a screw that was too long, but I cut it off with the diamond cutter bit on my Dremel. Use thread lock to keep the things together after they're in.

This sounds more complicated than it is. Before you throw your hands up in despair take a quick look at it. Once you know where it is and what it looks like, the fix is obvious.
This sounds like the same problem I have HOWEVER none of the vents open or close not just the defrost... I wonder if its electrical somehow?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 11:02 AM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kburks1230 View Post
The 107SL Source Page follow links to DIY and Center Vents.
Good Luck!

Best Regards...

RM Smith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 02:02 PM

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul280SL View Post
This sounds like the same problem I have HOWEVER none of the vents open or close not just the defrost... I wonder if its electrical somehow?
Which system do you have? An '84 80SL could be levers, ACCIII or the Euro only with two switches, temp. wheels and a rocker switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R/C107 SL/SLC Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in