Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Acceleration vibration

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  graybeard 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Recently my 380sl started vibrating on accelleration, kind of like a 'wobbly' feeling when I hit the pedal, regardless of speed, and smooths out around 1500 rpm. My mechanic said that one of the motor mounts is broken (passenger side, I think). Would this be the cause of the new vibration?

#2 ·
I haven't kept track of the things you've done, but subframe mounts/motor mounts are suspect and one of the first places to look if they have never been replaced. It's easy to see collapsed subframe mounts; motor mounts are a lot trickier to diagnose without actually removing anything, although it might be possible to make a measurement of engine height against a car with new mounts, or if you dare, watch the engine while accelerating the engine.

FWIW, at 84K and 18 years, my subframe mounts were shot (one actually disintegrated); my driver's side motor mount was broken and my right side mount was crushed. The car had been driven by "little old ladies" for 15 of the most recent previous 18 years until I bought it.

I and others have reason to suspect that broken motor mounts contribute to the infamous "broken radiator neck" problem, in that the motor jumps around and pulls on the neck via the (very tight) upper radiator hose.

Replacing these parts for the home mechanic is doable, but not easy and considerable safety precautions are involved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.