Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Post a picture of your SL thread

637K views 2K replies 559 participants last post by  Weather Man 
#1 ·
Since I am new here thought I'd say "howdy", show off my car and see if any of y'all want to do the same. My 83 280SL was a one-owner purchased from a retired airline pilot in Scottsdale, AZ. He was a preventive maintenance freak who kept the car in beautiful condition. I was looking for this particular model because I owned two 280 sedans in the past and always loved the dual-overhead cam hemi motor for the fact it delivered great performance and great gas mileage, and I got 250,000 miles out of the sedans pretty much trouble free.

83 280SL
Astral Silver
4 spd Auto
Master Locks
Manual Everything else
101,000 miles

See less See more
Reactions: Automobilist
#255 ·
Excellent mods, Bob. Particularly like the seats and center console work. Great imagination and workmanship. Congratulations again, enjoy the summer drives. Just took the hardtop off my 129 today. The SL's always feels like a new totally different car when I make the switch.

Nice ride for you too, NASCAR....great roads to drive back there. I was just back to visit my dad in NE Oklahoma last week and always miss having my cars of choice back there to drive some of those state roads.

#262 ·
I started with a perfect 86 560 SL. I paid way to much for it - 20k. I had it completely sken apart and rebuilt. New interior, new paint. It was white.
The wheels were made by Boyd Coddington.

The amber side lights are tinted - my shop specializes in pretty much tinting everything and anything. Actually I liked the stock amber look better. I'll probably replace them now with stock.

We also cut a large piece of carbon fiber into the hard top.

I was just thinking I the old Sl better looking than the new one - more personality.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

#265 ·
Newbie buying 450sl

Hello Guys,

i am new to this forum, although I own a 1987 Gwagen. I saw a 450sl, i do not know the year as yet, that I am thinking of buying. I have not inspected it thoroughly as yet but i like it thus far. It needs a complete body job, rust all around, but I can deal with that.

My main concerns are interior parts. Mainly sourcing a good dash, a centre console, and door panels, for inside. If anyone knows where these can be had, or know of someone scrapping one of these cars, I would appreciate a contact name and number.

Thanks much

Christopher

#268 ·
I just joined this site, and I have to say I am glad I did. There is a wealth of knowledge and information here that can't be found anywhere.

And here is mine just after I bought it. Haven't really done anything to it yet. Its a 1983 500SL with approx. 110k miles on it (odometer doesn't work).

BTW, is there a Euro-support group for those of us who own these Euro-spec cars here in the US?

Attachments

#269 ·
I don't know if you know what your saying when you say euro spec but your car is us spec w/us lighting and the w/us bumper and some tec stuff. But besides that us and euro are ,well the same. So you won't need to go anywhere special. Here will be fine.

#270 ·
How do you open your doors???????

Pearson said:
I started with a perfect 86 560 SL. I paid way to much for it - 20k. I had it completely sken apart and rebuilt. New interior, new paint. It was white.
The wheels were made by Boyd Coddington.

The amber side lights are tinted - my shop specializes in pretty much tinting everything and anything. Actually I liked the stock amber look better. I'll probably replace them now with stock.

We also cut a large piece of carbon fiber into the hard top.

I was just thinking I the old Sl better looking than the new one - more personality.

What do you guys think?
Hi Perason: A Stupid question how do you open the SL107 doors? I cannot find the doors handles??????
By the way your both babies are amazing, and you just have given me some motivation to start looking for SL-R230!!! how is the car with you so far????
Im in the process of restoring my SL107 but due to financial reason it will delay a little bit here is a photo of how it looks right now . I'll post some picture once i start the restoration.

Attachments

#271 ·
ussun said:
I don't know if you know what your saying when you say euro spec but your car is us spec w/us lighting and the w/us bumper and some tec stuff. But besides that us and euro are ,well the same. So you won't need to go anywhere special. Here will be fine.
Thanks, ussun. Yeah, I know they are basically the same. I also know there are subtle differences that carmakers put in different models of the same car that are not always noticeable (spring rates, shocks, brake sizes, swaybars, etc.) not to mention that parts for the 500sl engine probably are not readily available from the local Autozone.

I know that my car was imported into Atlanta in 1983, and has remained here in the south all of its life. There is not a spec of rust on it, or on the undercarriage. It does need a new top, as well as some cleanup and trim pieces in the Interior. It also has the annoying High Idle problem, so I haven't driven it much. Thanks to this forum, I have finally found some ideas on how to fix it! Yay! I am a big Ford Mustang fan, so this car is quite a bit different than what I am used to working on, and takes some relearning.

I also do plan on putting the European headlights and front bumper back on the car. The rear bumper is still Euro. I think it being made for the European market, it needs to look like it.

#272 · (Edited)
ussun said:
Um, no. They never sold a 107 500SL in the US. The lights/bumpers would have been changed to federalize the car, and maybe some smog stuff added for EPA requirements, but he's got the full compression, high power 5.0 liter engine. He could kick both our cars' butts and not break a sweat.

But if he did, he'd just be bragging, and nobody likes a braggart.

#273 ·
ScottinSoCal said:
Um, no. They never sold a 107 500SL in the US. The lights/bumpers would have been changed to federalize the car, and maybe some smog stuff added for EPA requirements, but he's got the full compression, high power 5.0 liter engine. He could kick both our cars' butts and not break a sweat.

But if he did, he'd just be bragging, and nobody likes a braggart.
:D I bet I could take him at the flag:D

#275 ·
1983 German (EU) 500SL

Here are some pictures of my new purchase. It's a 1983 "gray market" 500SL, it has a Lorsinser: body kit, wheels, and wood steering wheel. Just turned 60,00 miles. A great car, lot's of fun to drive fast.

Mark

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.