post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: 2008 CLK-350 Convertible
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Neckermann Musictruhe

Snagged this off C/L yesterday for a whopping $75.

Neckermann (private label, they're a retailer) "musictruhe" or "music chest", what we call a console. Vintage 1955, mahogany, weighs 103 pounds according to the literature and my back today, AM, SW, FM, phono (mono, of course), has "tchotke" shelf on left side with center glass shelf and light.

I haven't cleaned it up yet, but it is really nice, all the veneer is good, this will just sparkle. It will be a wonderful period accent piece.

Have all the documentation including the manual, the original bill of sale and the warranty (do you think it is out of warranty?) Has six or seven tubes, most of which are available if I decide to resurrect the electronics.

I doubt it works, it hasn't been plugged in in probably 30 years so it will definitely need new capacitors in the power supply. "The plan" is to slide a modern sub-woofer into the bottom and drive it from a good quality 5+1 or 7+1 system (with satellite midrange and tweeters) and everyone will wonder how the heck this 70 year old phonograph could possibly sound so good ;-)

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1606.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	635.2 KB
ID:	2523972   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1603.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	759.2 KB
ID:	2523974   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1605.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	675.2 KB
ID:	2523976  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2521 Post(s)
If you've got the cash how about one of the "all in one's" from Nail, Cyrus, etc.? You could probably run a decent sub off a chained in power amp then get some decent woofers tweeters and crossovers and fit them yourself. Either that or just turn it into a cocktail cabinet and use some regular floorstanders - some of the Klipsch or Tannoy heritage ranges might match...

"Semper In excretio, solum profundum variat" - unknown
They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: Vogon constructor fleet.
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Back when “entertainment centers” were comparable to any other furniture one had in their house. Some of those cabinets are truly beautiful.

Nice pick, Mike. 👍🏾

Pecuniam Habere Nobis Necesse Est...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4Matic (Sold) 2002 E320 4Matic (Sold) 1997 Infinity QX 4 SUV 4x4 (Survival vehicle)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
WOW. Nice find. That's a beauty. Congrats.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500 - 1986 420SEL
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 10521 Post(s)
Another one with the disease... I blame the FL mosquitoes.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:08 PM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemademebuyitforme View Post
Snagged this off C/L yesterday for a whopping $75.

Neckermann (private label, they're a retailer) "musictruhe" or "music chest", what we call a console. Vintage 1955, mahogany, weighs 103 pounds according to the literature and my back today, AM, SW, FM, phono (mono, of course), has "tchotke" shelf on left side with center glass shelf and light.

I haven't cleaned it up yet, but it is really nice, all the veneer is good, this will just sparkle. It will be a wonderful period accent piece.

Have all the documentation including the manual, the original bill of sale and the warranty (do you think it is out of warranty?) Has six or seven tubes, most of which are available if I decide to resurrect the electronics.

I doubt it works, it hasn't been plugged in in probably 30 years so it will definitely need new capacitors in the power supply. "The plan" is to slide a modern sub-woofer into the bottom and drive it from a good quality 5+1 or 7+1 system (with satellite midrange and tweeters) and everyone will wonder how the heck this 70 year old phonograph could possibly sound so good ;-)

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
From the time I was a small child, I remember an even bigger 'entertainment center' incl a TV made by Grundig, later replaced by a modern Braun.
Similar quality wood would be hard to find today (never giving up my old JBL 12" studio monitors). Some of those old tube radios sounded pretty good.
Btw, Neckermann was an old German Company later bought by Otto, Hamburg, who used to own Spiegel, Chicago.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2521 Post(s)
I can remember my father's first stereo comprising of home-built pre and power amps with tubes (thermionic valves). He built it himself from plans and instructions from a magazine. Of course, it helped that his father was BBC Bristol's chief engineer and that my father therefore had, ahem, "easy access" to broadcast quality components. My dad replaced it in the early 70s with a Goodmans Module 90 integrated amp that also included a tuner. Three or four times the power of the valve amp but I think my dad regretted trading sound quality for quantity.

"Semper In excretio, solum profundum variat" - unknown
They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 1984 300D turbo 1982 380SL 1981 380SL 1984 300SD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
If you have a Variac you might try slowly bringing the line voltage up and re-forming the caps, especially if it has been in use during the past 10 years.

Nice find !
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: 2008 CLK-350 Convertible
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yes, I do have a Variac (actually two or three of them, this kind of stuff tends to gravitate towards me, it shows up at flea markets and garage sales and nobody knows what it is so I can buy it really cheap. I bought a plating transformer/rectifier (for gold plating, etc) for $5 a few months ago), but I am not quite ready to go that route yet.

There are a few minor mechanical repairs which need to be made first. The set has an internal rotatable ferrite core antenna which came out of the "cradle" and broke the two wires leading to it. I'll refasten it to the cradle and resolder the two wires. The dial cord for this is also broken, but the tuning dial cord, which is made of a different material, is fine and works properly.

I notice the FM receiver part is set up for the old UK FM band of (I think) 80 to 100 Mhz, not 88 to 108 as here. That's fine, most of the NPR stations are down around 88 to 93 Mhz, so if I need a dose of liberal anguished hand-wringing, I know where to find it. (Actually, I am fairly liberal myself, but NPR is SO RIGHTEOUS that I just can't stand them. We should be bombing Lake Woebegon instead of the middle eastern country du jour, but I digress . . . )

Even though there are only about six tubes, several are double or even triple function. Turns out this is because receivers were taxed on the number of tubes in them, so it paid to have multi-function tubes to keep the "envelope" count down.

(Incidentally, this is why watches in the US say "unadjusted", the tariff on "adjusted" watches is higher. The watch has been adjusted, it just claims it hasn't been, so we don't get to fill the federal coffers any more than necessary. There was (or may still be) a duty on the number of jewels in a watch or clock, but with the quartz revolution, that is immaterial nowadays.)

Regarding "transistor sound" vs "tube (valve) sound", I prefer the tube sound even though I recognize that transistor sound is sharper but seems somehow "more brittle". This might be because tube sound better emulates what you would hear in a concert hall full of people (all that fabric softens the sound) and while transistor sound is more "clinical" and "accurate", it is just not as "pleasing". This is a HIGHLY subjective discussion and is really for a different forum or user group, but whatever.

Best Regards (and good listening!)

Mike/Florida
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:09 AM
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Looks beautiful!

Ross

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware of fundamentalists
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in