post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 07 E350, 80 240D 4 speed, 90 300SE, 87 260E
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Nazis Killed Her Father. Then She Fell in Love With One.

"Their billionaire descendants, who control Krispy Kreme, Stumptown and other brands, are grappling with the exposure of an unspeakable secret."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/14/b...---4.0-styling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:17 PM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1896 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The more or less same story was in the original German version of 'Der Spiegel' a while ago.
Compared to the Quandt's, who among other interests still own 40 or so percent of BMW, and at one time also owned a third of Daimler Benz (Mercedes, they still own shares), the Reiman's look pretty clean. Quandt made among other things the batteries for Nazi submarines. Having had his ex wife married to Herman Goering can't have hurt.
There is the Thyssen family, with the Baron as its head of the Thyssen-Krupp group (not the biggest part of their business, but as one of the largest automotive component suppliers in the world, many of the parts / brands are bought by us here, Bilstein for example).
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: U took the old religion from the woman on the hill.
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Big money typically is made by less than up and up endeavors. Later gens can claim they have washed their hands of the taint while reaping the rewards.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The "Stockholm Syndrome" but with money !

No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:16 PM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
I recall my parents telling me, that post WWII the questioning of all Germans of age by the Allies about their nazi past, was followed by being issued a 'proof of denazification' document, Germans called the 'Persilschein' (Persil document). Persil being Germany's longtime most popular washing detergent

When 7 years after the end of the war, German Chancellor Adenauer initiated negotiations with Israel about reparations to Jews called 'Wiedergutmachung,' both USSR controlled East Germany = GDR, and Austria declared that ex nazi's didn't exist in their respective countries and could only be found in West Germany.
Even people in Austrias Braunau, Hitlers birthplace, must have scratched their heads
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:51 PM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
Among my childhood friends, were the daughters of a Holocaust survivor, who was in charge of collecting money for Israel in North Rhine Westphalia.
Artur produced nice shirts in my home town with 500 year textile history, and his Belgian factory. I had a liking for Egyptian cotton and Van Laack shirts, and part of my experience when visiting, was Artur liking my shirts and coming close to strangling me in trying to see the label. Good man, RIP Artur.
Another friend was the son of a former waffen SS officer who was a diehard nazi until his death.
Anyhow, Arthur's daughter and the nazi's son fell in love and had a nice wedding. Unusual was only that neither the brides nor the grooms parents attended.
The son in law later took over management of the business.

Found a 1941 Wedding picture of Artur and Berta who both survived the KZ camps'

If interested (google translate) here is their story https://www.bielefeld.de/de/biju/sta.../01122011.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01122011_2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	2520960  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
Quoted: 2605 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
The more or less same story was in the original German version of 'Der Spiegel' a while ago.
Compared to the Quandt's, who among other interests still own 40 or so percent of BMW, and at one time also owned a third of Daimler Benz (Mercedes, they still own shares), the Reiman's look pretty clean. Quandt made among other things the batteries for Nazi submarines. Having had his ex wife married to Herman Goering can't have hurt.
There is the Thyssen family, with the Baron as its head of the Thyssen-Krupp group (not the biggest part of their business, but as one of the largest automotive component suppliers in the world, many of the parts / brands are bought by us here, Bilstein for example).
The honest truth is that virtually all of the German businesses that existed prior to Hitler's rise are somehow tainted by association with the Nazis and the German war effort. Likewise a lot of the rich families and aristocracies. Some, no doubt, were fervent Nazi supporters, most, I suspect, just patriotic Germans, and quite a few, just did and said what they had to lest they be shot.

The same is also, almost certainly, true of the big Japanese corporations, their owners and their aristocracies. Also all the other nations who sided with the Nazis.

Point being 74 years after the end of WW2 we should not forgive or forget but by the same token we should not blame the descendants for what those generations did. We buy Japanese products by the container ship load. We buy Italian goods by the container ship load. We buy German goods by the container ship load. Why continue to single out the Germans*?

* Always winning the World Cup on penalty shootouts aside 😄
cowboyt likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

As a PS I might also point out that an awful lot of America's "aristocracy" (like Henry Ford, Walt Disney to name but two) were also, um, "sympathetic" to the Nazis, and an awful lot more businesses got extremely rich (e.g. Boeing) from the money spent on military equipment during WW1 and WW2. Indeed, some historians credit the US industrialization at the start of the 20th Century directly on the UK's massive military spending here during WW1.
cowboyt likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
^^ And let's not forget how our own "master race" mentality resulted in not just slavery, but the subsequent Jim Crow here in the United States. How many US companies contributed to *that*, I wonder, that, by this logic, should be boycotted today? Therein lies the problem, folks. Look into German, Italian, Japanese, or American history, and you will find bad stuff. You will find it in Spanish history. You will find it in Russian history. I'd look to see what those various folks are doing to rectify those terrible acts before I started boycotting.

For example, Denny's--which my Dad and I used to frequent when I was a little kid--got caught in a major racial discrimination scandal in the early 1990's, and I boycotted them for years after that. Apparently so did others. Well, Denny's got its act together and changed things for the better, and they have continued their positive behaviour. Therefore, in something like 2008 when Dad was out here visiting, I took him to my local Denny's for a "pigs in a blanket" breakfast, just like the old days, and it was my first Denny's visit since that early 1990's incident. They changed. I obviously haven't forgotten, but yes, I have forgiven. So had he.

Another example would be the late Governor of Alabama, George Wallace. Yes, Mr. "Segregation Now, Segregation Tomorrow, Segregation Forever!" himself. I know it took him getting shot to wake up, and I'm sad that it took that. But he did wake up, and he worked for the rest of his life to make things better. For that reason, many Black people did forgive him, again, including Dad. He didn't forget, but he did forgive, due to Wallace's changed behaviour, over time.

That's why I don't hold today's Germans responsible for Nazism and the Holocaust. Their grandparents and great-grandparents, yes, but not today's people. Nor do I hold today's Japanese responsible for Pearl Harbor, though I do wish they would teach their kids the full responsibility for the actions of Imperial Japan the way that today's Germany teaches theirs about the Nazi era. The Japanese educational system seems to say, "we had no choice but to bomb Pearl Harbor, and then for some reason we never could understand, the Americans dropped atomic bombs on us." There's a whooooole lot more to it than that, as we (and the Chinese, and the Koreans, and the Filipinos, etc., etc.) know. The Germans, by contrast, seem to say to their kids, "this was our doing, we were responsible for it, and we must never, EVER repeat such evil again!" Big difference.
Teutone likes this.

Last edited by cowboyt; 06-17-2019 at 10:39 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

British no exception either, I must add.

Even the Quaker founded companies like Cadbury and Fry (candy / confectionary) whose founders at least on the surface espoused dealing in slavery or arms must have bought their sugar and cocoa somewhere...).

My home city of Bristol in England grew rich on tobacco, sugar and, sadly slaves. Bristol and Liverpool were the biggest slave markets in England.

Several landmarks in Bristol still around to this day are associated with slavery. Wills Tobacco - once one of the biggest cigarette manufacturers in the UK - dominates the Bedminster area and the Bonded Warehouses on the south side of the river used to store the tobacco. The concert venue Colston Hall is named after Edward Colston, a slave trader. Blackboy Hill is named after the fancy ladies of the day who would parade up and down in it with their black pageboy slaves in tow as trophies. The Haymarket - that didn't sell much hay. Ashton Court Estate - built by the Smythes - another lot of slave traders. etc. etc. My mother used to work in a bank on "The Centre" in Bristol - part of the old harbor that was filled in with the rubble from the WW2 bombing - and that had the remains of the slave tunnels complete with iron rings for securing the slaves still in the walls down in its basement. The tunnels were built so that the "nice" people of Bristol didn't have to look at the slaves as they were moved from the harbor up to the Haymarket for sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Off Topic Section > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in