Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
You know, that's one thing that rankles me--the idea of fakery in research. I remember doing some research both in high school and college, and the subject was acid rain. Didn't know hardly anything about it before, so I didn't have any prejudices. Learned a lot about sulfur dioxides and nitrous oxides in the process. What I learned made me really glad for today's modern "clean coal" technology, though, as well as going to renewable energy resources. Let the science itself tell the story; cooking the scientific books is what got us the ridiculous notion that Black people are somehow "less intelligent" than White people. Yeesh....

Good on that whistleblower for shining light on bad behaviour and helping provide an incentive to keep the research real.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (wife's DD: my first W220 project car)
2003 S600 ("sex on wheels"--second w220 project car)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--third W220 project car)
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyt View Post
Y . . . Let the science itself tell the story; cooking the scientific books is what got us the ridiculous notion that Black people are somehow "less intelligent" than White people. Yeesh....

Good on that whistleblower for shining light on bad behaviour and helping provide an incentive to keep the research real.
It is curious that you chose this example of cooking the scientific books. Of course, i agree that scientists are often guilty of cooking the bokks. But why this example. I can't think of a more pure conclusion from actual empirical evidence than the results of standardized intelligence tests.

Why this example?

What was the defect in the conclusion?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: '74 & '78 450 SEL
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
It is curious that you chose this example of cooking the scientific books. Of course, i agree that scientists are often guilty of cooking the bokks. But why this example. I can't think of a more pure conclusion from actual empirical evidence than the results of standardized intelligence tests.

Why this example?

I'm going to take a guess here and say that it's an infamous example from history many decades past.

See the book "The Mismeasure of Man" by Stephen J. Gould.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbar View Post
I'm going to take a guess here and say that it's an infamous example from history many decades past.

See the book "The Mismeasure of Man" by Stephen J. Gould.
That is sort of why I asked it. there are two issues. Are persons of color, specifically african Americans possessed of lower intelligence and secondly, why. Your citation is a criticism of the second issue, the unwarranted conclusion that such persons of color are biologically defective or inferior. That is a topic for scientists to monkey around with (if you will excuse the pun). And, is subject to endless debate and conjecture (although which debate has been ruled hate speech by the PC crowd.

But, the first issue is purely empirical in the truest sense of scientific method.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500 - 1986 420SEL
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 10521 Post(s)
This thread has potential.
DP likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:18 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyt View Post
You know, that's one thing that rankles me--the idea of fakery in research. I remember doing some research both in high school and college, and the subject was acid rain. Didn't know hardly anything about it before, so I didn't have any prejudices. Learned a lot about sulfur dioxides and nitrous oxides in the process. What I learned made me really glad for today's modern "clean coal" technology, though, as well as going to renewable energy resources. Let the science itself tell the story; cooking the scientific books is what got us the ridiculous notion that Black people are somehow "less intelligent" than White people. Yeesh....

I have been dabbling in a specific scientific field (ethnobotany) for several years now as an amateur, and have had personal encounters with the supposed giants in the field. I'm sorry but these people are awful. The petty jealousies and rivalries rampant in the 'publish or perish' crowd are nearly beyond belief. I have not encountered data fakery (yet), but DNA analysis via Next Generation Sequencing may leave that door wide open, since all manner of unverified data are provided as background for research grants and such. The scientific community and society in general might benefit substantially from more collaboration and less competition.

"2016 will go down in history as the year America lowered its expectations beneath the threshold of a first world country"
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:20 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Rambling Racist Rant (RRR)

Quoted for the sake of posterity.

Quote:

Why this example?

Quote:
That is sort of why I asked it. there are two issues. Are persons of color, specifically african Americans possessed of lower intelligence and secondly, why. Your citation is a criticism of the second issue, the unwarranted conclusion that such persons of color are biologically defective or inferior. That is a topic for scientists to monkey around with (if you will excuse the pun). And, is subject to endless debate and conjecture (although which debate has been ruled hate speech by the PC crowd.

But, the first issue is purely empirical in the truest sense of scientific method.
DEVOURS, DP and The Proctologist like this.

"2016 will go down in history as the year America lowered its expectations beneath the threshold of a first world country"
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: '74 & '78 450 SEL
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Quote:

. . . the first issue [Are persons of color, specifically african Americans, possessed of lower intelligence ?] is purely empirical in the truest sense of scientific method.
Purely imperical? Yes and no.

Sure, the question is testable by carefully designing scientific experiments and surveys, recording the data, and then examining the results. But there is a crucial principle within the scientific process that mandates you control or account for every significant variable.

In the "hard" sciences, like physics, this tends to be much easier because there are usually far fewer variables involved and the basic principles are often defined by established laws that are precisely quantified (like the law of gravity or Ohms law)

Studying human behavior and attempting to form justifiable conclusions about how or why people act the way they do is vastly more complex and includes so many variables that it becomes virtually impossible to design experiments that adequately control or account for them all.

In this particular example, if you're studying human intelligence and want to find out if there are inherent (genetic) differences between two different races, then the difficulties quickly become apparent.

1) "Race" is a social construct, not a biological one. There is currently only one human species on Earth so it can't be defined that way. Traditionally, when these studies were first done, skin color was the determining factor, with dark brown skin making one "Negroid", yellow skin making one "Mongoloid", and light tan skin making one "Caucasoid".

That classification system has long been discredited as grossly oversimplistic and arbitrary. Subsequent attempts to define "race" in a valid, quantifiable manner have all met with failure because the migration of humans across the planet over the last few thousand years, and especially the last few hundred, has mixed our genetic lines into an indecipherable conglomeration of various traits.

2) Nature versus nurture. Probably the most difficult task in studying human behavior is determining the relative cause and effect of genetics versus environment. Many volumes have been written on this topic and I couldn't possibly do the subject justice here, but just understand that virtually every experiment on complex human behavior will always be severely compromised by the near impossibility of adequately controlling all the variables involved enough to provide untainted data to study.

3) Intelligence. Early efforts at defining intelligence were so narrowly focused on what the experimentors considered to be most important that they were little more than self serving tools to declare their own ethnic group the smartest people around. It is now widely accepted that one (or a few) simple metrics is entirely inadequate to describe all the factors that make up human intelligence.

Furthermore, intelligence is not the hard wired genetic constant as previously thought. Nutrition abd diet (especially during childhood) plays a large role in the ability to learn and think creatively. In places where nutrient rich food is abundant and readily available, brains can achieve their full potential for intelligence. Live where nutrition is poor and hunger is common and the body steals resources from the brain for survival and that leaves intelligence as a low priority.

Last edited by hbar; 03-26-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500 - 1986 420SEL
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 10521 Post(s)
It can't be denied that caucasian is the smartest race. I don't care what books say... I have a gut feeling on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in