• Jay Inslee
  • Amy Klobuchar
  • Wayne Messam
  • Beto O'Rourke
  • Bernie Sanders
  • Elizabeth Warren
  • Marianne Williamson
  • Andrew Yang

I don't know about all these folks, does anyone?

My position at this point is simple, I strive to keep an open mind.

I am a big Bernie fan, but a part of me would prefer someone with his integrity, only younger.
I am also a Biden fan, but again we have the age thing. Anyone not sold on Joe Biden, look for the speech he gave at the John McCain funeral. This man is a force of nature -- a very inspirational speaker with the chops to galvanize the party.
Nothing against Elizabeth Warren, smart woman, but not a great speaker, not a great motivator.
Kamala Harris is trying to be centrist, and again, not a great motivational speaker.
Kirsten Gillibrand is probably dead in the water. I don't see her getting past the Al Franken thing -- ever.
Tulsi Gabbard has the whole Syria/Assad thing hanging over her head, and I don't believe she will survive it.
I like Beto O'Rourke, but see him as a candidate for VP rather the POTUS. Plenty of time for him to change my mind.
I like Corey Booker -- great presence, great speaker, tough guy with a consistent message that should resonate. But he has that whole in-bed-with-Big Pharma thing going against. Plenty of time for him to turn around. I hope he does.
I don't really see Jay Inslee as a viable candidate at this time. Climate Change is a critically important issue, no argument, but to hang your entire candidacy on that single issue is not gonna fly.
Pete Buttigieg -- sorry, not feeling it. From mayor of South Bend, IN to POTUS is far too great a leap.
I have no problem with Julian Castro, but he lacks the presence and appeal of some of the front runners. Again, plenty of time to turn that around and make a better impression.

The others have made no impact upon me one way or the other, which is probably not a good thing, but we'll see what develops. At the risk of being redundant, I am trying very hard to keep an open mind.
JimSmith likes this.

"2016 will go down in history as the year America lowered its expectations beneath the threshold of a first world country"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 07:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: U took the old religion from the woman on the hill.
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2534 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Fuck yute, vote Bernie
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 07:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500 - 1986 420SEL
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 10437 Post(s)
There is already a 2020 thread.
post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: '84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeS View Post

I like Beto O'Rourke, but see him as a candidate for VP rather the POTUS. Plenty of time for him to change my mind.
Here’s why Beto O’Rourke’s gestures could hand the election to Donald Trump
By Vinay Menon Entertainment Columnist Toronto Star
Fri., March 15, 2019

Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke talks with voters during his second day of campaigning for the 2020 nomination in Mount Pleasant, Iowa. (CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES)

Beto O’Rourke’s hands are running for president.

If you’re familiar with the Texas politico, you already know he appears to be powered by Dexedrine, Red Bull, triple espressos and a deranged voice in his head that keeps shouting, “THEY WILL KILL YOU IF YOU STOP MOVING.”

Between the marching and the jumping on tables, between the full-body spasms and the shoulder dancing that produces enough kinetic energy to power Fiji, O’Rourke is more exhausting to watch than a Cirque du Soleil troupe in a war zone.

I bet if you snuck into his kitchen right now, you’d find pancakes stuck to the ceiling from years of overzealous flipping: CHILDREN, BREAKFAST IS READY! OH (BLEEP). You know why he doesn’t wear a fitness tracker? It would explode. If this dude were a puppeteer, marionettes would form a union to protest unsafe working conditions. You know how he changes a light bulb? He stands under the fixture, raises his arm and spins it around so frantically, it creates enough centrifugal force to unscrew the old one and levitate the new one into position.

Then he lectures the new bulb about climate change.

“Twelve years, Light Bulb! That’s all we got! Shine responsibly!”

This former punk rocker is a swirling human vortex. He is a can of human Febreze, spraying out rapid-fire bursts of aromatic centrist idealism in speeches, as his arms flail and nearby supporters flinch, certain they’re about to get punched in the face.

His hands never stop moving. He is his own ASL interpreter.

He makes the Duracell Bunny look like a three-toed sloth.

After O’Rourke threw his hat into the 2020 race on Thursday — the only surprise was that he didn’t pantomime throwing an actual hat into an actual ring — even Donald Trump was taken aback by the manic body language.

“I think he’s got a lot of hand movement,” Trump told reporters, looking genuinely scared. “I’ve never seen so much hand movement. I said, ‘Is he crazy or is that just the way he acts?’”

Remember the source. Trump shakes the hands of world leaders like he is tugging on a rescue rope after tumbling overboard from a Disney cruise ship. When Trump’s mouth revs into overdrive, his right hand basically flashes non-stop gang signals to the faithful. His thumb and index finger form a recurring “OK.” Like an umpire motioning safe, he’s mastered the horizontal slash. If you mute the TV when Trump is yapping, he looks like he is playing “Rock, Paper, Scissors” against an octopus.

But you know what? Trump is 100 per cent right about O’Rourke.

Beto’s hands are way crazier than Donald’s hands.

Beto’s hands may well induce a panic attack across the free world.

Did you watch O’Rourke’s announcement video? His second sentence was, “This is a defining moment of truth for this country and for every single one of us.”

By the time he finished that line, his hands had air-punched like 164 times. Watch it again and focus on his wife’s face. At first, Amy is beaming with an ear-to-ear smile. Then, as the couch they are sitting on begins to shudder like a Ford F-150 on a gravel road, her smile morphs into something closer to motion sickness.

There is no doubt Beto’s hands have now clawed their way into popular culture.

The Daily Show ran a bit about them on Thursday. Jimmy Fallon spoofed O’Rourke’s video with a segment in which he played the newly minted presidential candidate, gesticulating like a lunatic and saying things such as: “I’m sort of like if a compassionate head-nod turned into a person,” “When I eat salads, I thank every individual leaf for its sacrifice” and “I’m like if your friend’s hot dad had the energy of a Golden Retriever.”

But this new-found fixation on Beto’s hands should give the rest of him pause.

For the Democrats, who now have a pool of presidential candidates larger than the total number of people who’ve auditioned for American Idol, anything that can take oxygen away from Trump is not a bad thing.

So Beto’s hands could be a secret weapon — for his party.

But for O’Rourke himself, his hands are a harbinger of doom.

Trump is an evil genius. And by calling attention to Beto’s hands this week, what he did was create a powerful distraction. He made it impossible to hear what O’Rourke is saying because now we can’t look away from his crazy hands.

So if O’Rourke is serious about dethroning Trump, he needs to calm down.

Maybe he should invest in a straitjacket. Maybe he should hire a physical therapist to tamp down on the urge to look like an MMA fighter. Maybe he should keep his hands in his back pockets, as on the new cover of Vanity Fair.

Maybe he should ask a zookeeper to shoot him with a tranquilizer dart.

But right now, Beto’s hands are a messaging liability.

Those hands are becoming his story.

And in doing so, they will help get Donald Trump re-elected.

Vinay Menon is the Star’s pop culture columnist based in Toronto. Follow him on Twitter: @vinay menon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

.... Don't mess with old farts - - age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience!

Gone and almost forgotten......
'96 E320
'79 450 SEL
'78 300 CD

Last edited by xlimodriver; 03-17-2019 at 07:17 AM.
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Gillibrand formally joins crowded field of Democratic presidential candidates

Wonder how many write-in votes for A. Franken if she wins the nomination. Enough to hand victory to Trump?

"2016 will go down in history as the year America lowered its expectations beneath the threshold of a first world country"
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: '74 & '78 450 SEL
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
This is what I hope to see for 2020.

1) The DNC provides a level playing field for all the potential candidates.

2) Grassroots Democrats motivated by desire to defeat Trump (or his replacement) participate in large numbers in the primary process. Before that, if possible

3) The eventual nominee will be a candidate who genuinely appeals to the base for policy reasons and visionary ideas. Voters will easily tolerate some ideological differences and still eagerly support a candidate, but they won't be very happy if the DNC coughs up another "hold your nose" candidate.

Really, this isn't that fucking difficult. Just follow the numbers - 1, 2, 3 - and Trump is as good as defeated.
The Proctologist and pt_700 like this.
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2011
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Too many candidates, too many opportunities for the "liberal, progressive" Democrats to hold their breath, pouting and attempting to rationalize to themselves how they didn't blow another election.

Doesn't the census and redistricting come into play in 2020?

Another opportunity for them to shine.

2nd. Amendment:
Solely responsible for more deaths on American soil, by Americans, than any hostile nation or terrorist organization in our history.
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:09 AM
BNZ
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Attached Images

post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbar View Post
This is what I hope to see for 2020.

1) The DNC provides a level playing field for all the potential candidates.

2) Grassroots Democrats motivated by desire to defeat Trump (or his replacement) participate in large numbers in the primary process. Before that, if possible

3) The eventual nominee will be a candidate who genuinely appeals to the base for policy reasons and visionary ideas. Voters will easily tolerate some ideological differences and still eagerly support a candidate, but they won't be very happy if the DNC coughs up another "hold your nose" candidate.

Really, this isn't that fucking difficult. Just follow the numbers - 1, 2, 3 - and Trump is as good as defeated.
The more candidates the better, I say. So long as it's a fair process, folks will get behind the winner in droves. And given the fiasco of last election, that is exactly what should happen.
The Proctologist likes this.

post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: '74 & '78 450 SEL
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeS View Post
The more candidates the better, I say. So long as it's a fair process, folks will get behind the winner in droves. And given the fiasco of last election, that is exactly what should happen.
Incidently, a situation like what we have here with the Democrats shows why public funding of candidates with every candidate allocated the same amount only works on paper and not in the real world.

If such public funding were in place right now, there would be 500 Democrats declaring their candidacy, along with the same number of Republicans. What do they have to lose?

The more the better is fine until these 1000 candidates all sign up for their campaign money. If they each got $10 million to spend for the entire campaign, then that would total $10 billion. There would need to be some process to eliminate the frivolous candidates from thecserious ones. And who would get to decide that? A government comittee, perhaps? It would take about 23 seconds for that process to become corrupt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in