No Sane Person should really be able to argue against this - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1972 350SL 148,000 miles
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
No Sane Person should really be able to argue against this

Campaign Finance is at the heart of our broken political system, here's one idea for fixing it

GeeS, DEVOURS, Doni and 1 others like this.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:55 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, SLK350
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Did I miss something? Was a post deleted?
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: U took the old religion from the woman on the hill.
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2547 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Getting most people to give 10 bucks could easily offset any billionaire or entity from buying what they want. Of course this can never happen with all the static between parties, ideologies, and general apathy. So...
post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 11:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: '74 & '78 450 SEL
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2047 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Proctologist View Post
Campaign Finance is at the heart of our broken political system, here's one idea for fixing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfQij4aQq1k
I agree with 100% of the points made in this video. They've correctly identified the problem and their strategy for solving the problem is very sensible.

However, I've been saying pretty much the same thing for at least 25 years and the response from almost everyone I've tried to persuade is this:

1) Good idea.
2) I don't care enough to actually do anything about it.

From about 2003 through 2010, I seriously spent a lot of my time, effort, and also money that I couldn't spare on trying to encourage interest in implementing changes at the state level (mostly Illinois and Wisconsin) along the same lines as this video describes.

Zero interest. It became apparent to me that the public prefers to constantly bitch about a corrupt political system than expend an ounce of energy trying to change it.
The Proctologist likes this.
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: '74 & '78 450 SEL
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2047 Post(s)
Back on topic (please!).

The video outlines a 3 part strategy to fix political corruption:

1) build left/right consensus

2) pass political reform laws at the state and local level

3) become part of the movement

I've found that #2 is the one everyone agrees with, but the others are problematic.

There is just too much outrage between left and right for there to be any basis for consensus. BWOT illustrates that point. Probably 90% of the political content here is either shouting partisan doctrine at the opponent or just put downs and name calling. It may not be as rude in face to face personal discussions, but the refusal to consider ideas that don't fit preconceived ideological boxes is widespread.

Finally, Americans have simply become too lazy (or too cynical) to take part in an active political movement that would benefit the country as a whole. If the effort doesn't benefit someone as part of a special interest group, then it isn't worth their time.
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500 - 1986 420SEL
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 10530 Post(s)
I have a better, simpler idea on how to solve this problem.
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
OK, back to the actual topic....

@hbar 's point of voter apathy is a good one. As long as people have food in their bellies, roofs over their heads, smartphones in their hands entertaining them ("hey, look, tabloid gossip!"), and aren't getting harassed by the authorities, then to them, there isn't an immediate problem worthy of their attention. They're wrong, but they don't see it that way.

The only way that sort of voter apathy is going to change is, unfortunately, through pain. History has borne that out, most recently in 2016 with both the Republican Primary and the subsequent Presidential Election. Jeb Bush had not only all that big-donor money behind him, but also the RPE (Republican Party Establishment) behind him as well. He got his butt kicked by the actual voters. Then the RPE folks and their donors ran to Marco Rubio, who also flamed out at the hands of the voters. The RPE might've had a chance with Ted Cruz, but they've never liked him because he was calling them out on their crap. Ron and Rand Paul, no way, because they wouldn't totally sell out, either (Ron especially). So, they looked for a last-gasp Great Establishment Hope. That was John Kasich, who got *his* butt kicked by the voters as well.

Basically, the Trumpster got elected by the voters in the Republican Primary because he was willing to take on the RPE, and Republican voters apparently liked that. Then he got elected in the General Election because of not just beating the corruption in the RPE, but also because Hillary was way too corrupt and had shown it. The Dems wanted a White feminist and nothing else would do, so...Hillary. And the Dems lost. Republican voters, by and large, had felt enough pain and decided to tell the establishment folks off with a big middle finger.

Dems wanna win in 2020? They need to ditch the establishment punks and look for someone who can take on Trump. They need a Brian Schweitzer who will A.) beat Trump at his own game; B.) has the guts to tell K-Street where to go deposit their fertilizer; and C.) actually has a decent foreign policy, energy policy, and can actually get along with and work with the "other side".
The Proctologist likes this.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (wife's DD: my first W220 project car)
2003 S600 ("sex on wheels"--second w220 project car)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--third W220 project car)
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)

Last edited by cowboyt; 03-11-2019 at 01:15 PM.
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500 - 1986 420SEL
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 10530 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
I have a better, simpler idea on how to solve this problem.

Somebody ask me... I'll be happy to share.
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2011
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hillary lost because she was too corrupt but not corrupt enough to lose the popular vote?

The constant barrage from the media starting off every story about Sec. Clinton with "Hillary Clinton's E-mail scandal" was enough to push voters who vote sensationalized headlines and bumper sticker's to not vote, or not vote for her.
stockdill likes this.

2nd. Amendment:
Solely responsible for more deaths on American soil, by Americans, than any hostile nation or terrorist organization in our history.
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: '71 280se 3.5 cab
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
whats the answer, boss-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in