post #2382 of 2393 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Proctologist View Post
Hbar has tried to explain it like 50 times since I've been here, and his experience has been mocked and de-legitimatized. It's like if @cowboyt was explaining his experience with racism and bigotry to a feminist Liberal and she said, "you can't understand what it's like to be oppressed because you're not a woman, only women understand what it's like to be oppressed"

You know that look he'd give her? That incredulous look as if to say "are you fucking kidding me?" and he'd walk away without even trying to explain because you can't reach that level of stupidity?

I look at you and Cowboys posts like that every time you guys shit all over HBar for trying to explain he actually understands and he's on your side, and I don't even bother trying to explain, because at that point you're suffering from "terminal uniqueness", nobody can understand what it's like to be you, and actual medical condition I find to be as irritating as Trumpesque" whataboutism. HBar has consistently decried racism and offered support, he's been unwavering yet I see slavering attacks on him for his racism and xenophobia where none exists, he explains calmly again and again, but nope, RACIST!!!!

anyhow, carry on
When did I shit all over hbar?

And you're right about the look I'd give such a feminist, BTW.
post #2383 of 2393 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1972 350SL 148,000 miles
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyt View Post
When did I shit all over hbar?

And you're right about the look I'd give such a feminist, BTW.
You don't hit him as hard as others have but you have absolutely invalidated his experience a few times when he has tried to explain he understands somewhat what it's like to be discriminated against. Just kinda pointing it out, it may have been unconscious, but it always bums me out when I see allies experience invalidated, I get to hear that BS how I will never understand what it's like to be discriminated against or to be the subject of racism when I have been on the wrong side of that shit my entire life, it wasn't until I cut my hair and donned a white collar disguise did the SFPD stop beating me over the head with sticks and I stopped being put in jail every weekend (I've been to jail about 100 times when young, like literally 100 times).

A longhair from SF in Texas, a Texan in SF, the only white kid in multiple schools, a Haole in Maui, it wasn't until I was in a FD in my late 20's did I end up on the "right side" of the "good ole boy" network.

TL;DR Many of us DO understand what it's like to be on the receiving end of bigotry and racism, and no, we will never understand it to the extent that you do, but we understand it enough to be on your side, on decencies side, please take a minute and think before responding to us when we reach out with something other then being condescending, that's not aimed at you in particular, but to everyone who thinks white men are incapable of receiving or understanding racism. I have actually seen racism against "white men" celebrated on this forum in Hawaii, how is that ANY different than white men celebrating racism in Tennessee? Racism is Racism and it's fucking bullshit no matter WHO is doing it. period.

I remember being absolutely fucking appalled when my good friend Eric, his wife and kids and friends were heckled in Stinson for being black, I was soooo fucking embarrassed, and being equally embarrassed for my white friends when they were subject to racism for being in the "wrong" neighborhood. That shit needs to stop, period, full stop.

Some of us are truly on your side, hell my great great grandfather lost 5 brothers in the civil war, the only one that survived was Chauncy's father, my great grandfather (He fought in the Spanish Civil War against Franco) anyhow...
Doni and stockdill like this.

Last edited by The Proctologist; 07-15-2019 at 04:41 PM.
post #2384 of 2393 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:20 PM

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '89 300E Turbo project, 85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, 67 Kaiser M725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Did you stay home from school on ‘Kill Haole Day’ or just took dirty lickins?
post #2385 of 2393 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

^^^ Thanks, I rest my case

So racism is only bad when the other side does it?
Doni likes this.
post #2386 of 2393 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

and yes I went on Kill Haole day, and I DAMN sure went on "Slap a Jap day"
Doni likes this.
post #2387 of 2393 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:59 PM

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '89 300E Turbo project, 85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, 67 Kaiser M725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
and yes I went on Kill Haole day
Good!
The Proctologist likes this.
post #2388 of 2393 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

It probably helps that I have about 50 "local" cousins over there now, probably more, my grandmothers sister married a black aviator in the 40's so she moved there since that was more acceptable there than elsewhere in the US at that time, her kids married locals, and they grew up and married locals, who married locals...so my people go back there a few generations and are all "locals" now, The one I know best is Bubba, he's about 6'5" thereabouts. My sister and I lived there in the 80's, my mother lived there in the 50's, how bout you? How much family you got there? Where are your roots? Are you just some guy who moved there, bought a house, married a local girl and now considers himself a "local"? just kinda wondering, where were you born?

This is a group of my cousins who came to visit us for my cousins Geoffreys wedding (he lives on the big island now) in 1968, they made quite an impression on me

Take A Knee, America-img_1110.jpg

Take A Knee, America-img_1109.jpg

Take A Knee, America-img_1108.jpg

Racism has no place on our planet except to cap on your friends, it really doesn't

Last edited by The Proctologist; 07-15-2019 at 09:42 PM.
post #2389 of 2393 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: '74 & '78 450 SEL
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2099 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupoelsker View Post
Have we reached the bottom yet.?

Thus was from the 1st page of this thread in 2017, in response to a Trump tweet where he said football players who kneel should be fired by their team owners.

Considering his body of tweets in the past 2 years, I would say the answer to that question is a big fat NO.
post #2390 of 2393 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Quote:
You don't hit him as hard as others have but you have absolutely invalidated his experience a few times when he has tried to explain he understands somewhat what it's like to be discriminated against. Just kinda pointing it out, it may have been unconscious, but it always bums me out when I see allies experience invalidated, I get to hear that BS how I will never understand what it's like to be discriminated against or to be the subject of racism when I have been on the wrong side of that shit my entire life, it wasn't until I cut my hair and donned a white collar disguise did the SFPD stop beating me over the head with sticks and I stopped being put in jail every weekend (I've been to jail about 100 times when young, like literally 100 times).

A longhair from SF in Texas, a Texan in SF, the only white kid in multiple schools, a Haole in Maui, it wasn't until I was in a FD in my late 20's did I end up on the "right side" of the "good ole boy" network.

TL;DR Many of us DO understand what it's like to be on the receiving end of bigotry and racism, and no, we will never understand it to the extent that you do, but we understand it enough to be on your side, on decencies side, please take a minute and think before responding to us when we reach out with something other then being condescending, that's not aimed at you in particular, but to everyone who thinks white men are incapable of receiving or understanding racism. I have actually seen racism against "white men" celebrated on this forum in Hawaii, how is that ANY different than white men celebrating racism in Tennessee? Racism is Racism and it's fucking bullshit no matter WHO is doing it. period.

I remember being absolutely fucking appalled when my good friend Eric, his wife and kids and friends were heckled in Stinson for being black, I was soooo fucking embarrassed, and being equally embarrassed for my white friends when they were subject to racism for being in the "wrong" neighborhood. That shit needs to stop, period, full stop.

Some of us are truly on your side, hell my great great grandfather lost 5 brothers in the civil war, the only one that survived was Chauncy's father, my great grandfather (He fought in the Spanish Civil War against Franco) anyhow...
I don't see how I invalidated his experience here. I simply pointed out mine just as he pointed out his. I actually referenced his experience, if you re-read what I said. It is most certainly true that he would've been treated almost like a celebrity (hbar and I happen to be about the same age) in Seattle. The cops would've mistaken him for a rock star. Most people did with a guy who looks like either him or you did back then. That's really what I saw. Hence my surprise at his description of his treatment by police; as I said, maybe that's how Chicago was. Very different from Seattle, or San Francisco for that matter.

There most certainly are White people on "our" side, i. e. the side of those who believe in truly fair justice, and some of them are even blonde. :-) One example of a White person who is on the side of fair justice is former Pres. Jimmy Carter. I wish more people would look up to him and follow his example.

Another one is Tony Bennett, whom the wife and I will have the honour of going to see soon in performance. Frank Sinatra's another one, as is Tony Curtis.

There are unquestionably those who have attempted to actually invalidate what hbar has shared here, and that is wrong. It is likewise wrong, I think, to either overtly or through implication claim that he somehow supports racism or is a racist. That's just stupid.

One danger is to come off as, "hey, I've been discriminated against, too, and I'm White!" The implication here is, "you 'brownies' are playing the RAAAACE CAAAARRRD! You shouldn't be so overly sensitive! Don't make a race thing out of everything!" This happens far, far too often, as I think we all here know. I've mentioned my mentor's successor, who experiences exactly this from her White female associates (she is Black) whenever she brings up "shopping while Black" incidents. It really does get tiresome, hence Doni's understandable frustration (and mine, for that matter) when we read about incidents like how this Cukor fellow acted. It looks just too familiar, too much like "Pool Patrol Paulas" or "Barbecue Beckys". GreenT's assertion is not absolute as he claims it to be. However, it is, unfortunately, likely, given what we see about "Existing While Black" calls to the police.

Quote:
^^^ Thanks, I rest my case

So racism is only bad when the other side does it?
Nope, it's bad all around, no matter who does it. I have called many a Black person on racist behaviour, be it anti-White, anti-EastAsian, anti-Latino, or otherwise. There's a scene in the movie, "Jungle Fever" that I'm always reminded of. Dad and I saw the movie when I was in my early 20's. It's when Flipper's wife Drew, played by Lonette McKee, was in their "War Council", and one of the women said she didn't care what color the man was; she simply wanted a good man. Drew said, "naw, I *ain't* the rainbow-fuckin' kind!" And every other Black woman laughed along with her in agreement. I thought, "waitasec...isn't that kind of race prejudice exactly what we're supposed to be fighting *against*?" I asked him that very question, and he heartily agreed.

Other situations happened in college, too. The most common excuse for hateful speech? "It's not racism! It's a *response* to racism against *us*!" No, that does not excuse stuff like, "fuck all White-ass honkies!", or "fuckin' kill the next White person we see!" "Yeah, right on, brotha/sista!" I tried to be a moderating voice, to significant disapproval. It was for that reason that I ultimately resigned from the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) and never went back, and I did so with a bit of a heavy heart. But I cannot abide by that kind of hypocrisy when you say you're for civil rights, but you call for the death or injury of an entire class of people, and get pissed off when someone points out how wrong that is. Jimmy Carter's not just White, he's a White Southerner; what, do they want to kill him, too? Yet today I see so many of these same Black people wearing Washington Redskins paraphernalia and cheering for a team whose name is a form of the word, "nigger". WTF?

Same for when I would see racism from, for example, the Korean population in various places that I've lived. I've seen it when I would go into Korean grocery stores or Korean restaurants. So be it; they obviously don't need my money. Seems that if you're not East Asian, i. e. you don't look like they do, then you're not really human (though White is apparently somewhat acceptable). This was explained to me by my college friend (happens to be American of Korean descent, and is a proud American citizen) as some crazy belief in so-called "racial purity" that he mentioned is part of the culture (he is also fully bilingual). That may be acceptable in Korea, or Japan, but not here. My friend himself doesn't subscribe to that nonsense...but his mother definitely does (I met her). Yes, I did speak up, respectfully (she is an elder, after all), but firmly nonetheless. Eventually she got it, but it took some effort. Seriously, I thought I might as well be speaking to an antebellum "missy", just the Korean version; it was surreal.

You're right. Racism is bad no matter who does it. And we should oppose it wherever and whenever it happens, not just when it happens to, say, "our" group...whichever "our" group happens to be.
The Proctologist likes this.

Last edited by cowboyt; 07-16-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Off Topic Section > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in