BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: 1989 300SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbar View Post
Hillary for claiming to care for poor people, even though she's very rich, herself.
Again with the disconnect that wealthy people can't advocate and sign legislation making life better for low-income people, as Hillary's website went into detailed policy as to those actual intentions, including people of her wealth paying far more in taxes if she could get the law passed.

Since they were her intentions, life would have been far better FOR low income people, than Trump's promises to advocate and sign legislation making life more difficult for groups of americans his supporters have contempt for.

He's done what he promised. Hillary advocated for the opposite.

The rest is just conjecture and assumption.
JimSmith likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2212 of 2290 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: '71 280se 3.5 cab
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1896 Post(s)
all the dems need is the same wave they have had since the inauguration-

it seems to be growing stronger
post #2213 of 2290 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: '71 280se 3.5 cab
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1896 Post(s)
black women supported dems last november in record numbers-

article is from march '18
post #2214 of 2290 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: '74 & '78 450 SEL
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutleybird View Post

"Hillary for claiming to care for poor people, even though she's very rich, herself." --hbar

Again with the disconnect that wealthy people can't advocate and sign legislation making life better for low-income people, as Hillary's website went into detailed policy as to those actual intentions, including people of her wealth paying far more in taxes if she could get the law passed.
I like how you got rid of the important part of my statement that makes it clear I meant no such thing.

This is what I said, in context:

"If you want to argue that I should be more resentful of the wealthy, then go ahead and make your case. Explain to me why I should despise rich people for being rich, while liking Hillary for claiming to care for poor people, even though she's very rich, herself."

Don't misquote me to try to fit your misconceptions of my beliefs into a package you think will be easier to argue against.

Last edited by hbar; 04-17-2019 at 04:14 PM.
post #2215 of 2290 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500 - 1986 420SEL
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 10294 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdill View Post
black women supported dems last november in record numbers-

article is from march '18

Yes it is but the point remains. Black women supported other black and minority candidates, not just democrats. What I described as the Pink Wave in my thread when everyone was looking at the blues and the reds. And they set historical records...

You can't take a loyal demographic group for granted for too long without delivering, and democrats haven't delivered since B. Clinton.

Doni and cowboyt like this.

Burp...
post #2216 of 2290 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

She's on point, as usual...

Twitter

Twitter

Twitter

Twitter
Doni likes this.

Burp...
post #2217 of 2290 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A former Florida police officer received a 25-year prison sentence Thursday for the fatal on-duty shooting of a black musician whose SUV had broken down after a late-night concert.

Fired Palm Beach Gardens officer Nouman Raja was the first Florida law enforcement agent in nearly 30 years to be convicted and sentenced for an on-duty killing — and one of only a few officers nationwide.

The 41-year-old defendant was sentenced by Circuit Judge Joseph Marx as family and friends of the 31-year-old victim, Corey Jones, looked on in a hushed courtroom jammed with supporters from both sides.

Marx said sentencing defendants is the hardest part of his job, something he loses sleep over even when dealing with a hardened, career criminal. Raja is not that, he said. He could have given Raja a life term, a sentence prosecutors sought.

“This has been a heartbreaking case,” Marx said. “I think it has had a profound effect on every single person who sat through this trial.”

Jones’ family exited the courthouse singing the gospel song “Victory is Mine.” Jones came from a family of ministers and was to have performed at their church the morning he was killed in 2015. His father, Clinton Jones Sr., had told Marx earlier he hadn’t deleted his son’s number from his cellphone because that would be too hard emotionally.

“We knew what the truth was and we stood by that,” Jones told reporters after the hearing. He said he never doubted Raja instigated the altercation. “Because of the son we had raised and the type of character he had, we knew … it wasn’t our Corey.”

Raja’s wife, Karine, asked Marx to show leniency so her husband could be a father to their two young children. She said the media and others had unfairly portrayed him as “a monster, the angel of death.” Raja, dressed in a blue jail jumpsuit with his wrists and ankles shackled, often dropped his head as his wife spoke. He had grown a beard since his convictions last month for manslaughter and attempted murder and appeared to have lost weight.

“Why I am so angry is that the wrong person was chosen to be a sacrificial lamb,” his wife said. “Raja is the man you wanted serving and protecting you.” His attorneys left court vowing to appeal.

Prosecutors contended Raja escalated what should have been a routine interaction into a deadly confrontation with Jones, a housing inspector and part-time drummer. Raja’s attorneys had argued that he acted in self-defense both as a police officer and under Florida’s controversial “stand your ground” law, which a previous judge rejected.

Raja, of Asian descent, was in plain clothes for an auto burglary investigation team when he spotted Jones’ SUV at 3:15 a.m. on Oct. 18, 2015. Jones was headed home from a nightclub performance by his reggae band when his vehicle stalled on a dark highway off-ramp. He had a concealed-weapons permit and carried a handgun, purchased days earlier to protect his $10,000 drum set, which was in the SUV.

Raja, wearing jeans, a T-shirt and a baseball cap, drove an unmarked van the wrong way up an off ramp within feet of the SUV.

Prosecutors said Raja never identified himself as an officer and acted so aggressively that Jones must have thought he was about to be carjacked or killed. Raja’s supervisor testified the officer had been told to don a police vest if he approached a civilian. He didn’t, nor did he pull his badge.

What police didn’t know at first was that Jones had been talking to a tow-truck dispatcher on a recorded line. That recording shows Jones saying “Huh?” as his door opens. Raja yells, “You good?” Jones says he is. Raja replies twice, “Really?” with Jones replying “Yeah.”

Suddenly, Raja shouts at Jones to raise his hands, using an expletive. Jones replies, “Hold on!” and Raja repeats his demand.

Prosecutors believe Jones pulled his gun and tried to run away. Raja fired three shots; Jones ran down an embankment. Prosecutors said he threw his gun, but Raja fired three more times, 10 seconds after the first volley. One of the bullets pierced the man’s heart. He was also hit in both arms.

Prosecutors said Raja, not knowing of the tow-truck dispatcher recording, sought to deceive investigators. He claimed he said “Police, can I help you?” as Jones jumped from the SUV. He also told them Jones leapt backward and pointed his gun, forcing him to fire. Raja said Jones ran but turned and again pointed his gun, forcing him to fire the second volley.

Prosecutors charged Raja with manslaughter, saying his actions created the confrontation and showed “culpable negligence.” They also charged him with attempted murder, saying no matter which of Raja’s six shots killed Jones, the second volley was a conscious effort to kill him as he fled.

The last Florida officer sentenced for an on-duty killing was Miami’s William Lozano in 1989. The Hispanic officer fatally shot a black motorcyclist who he said tried to hit him. A passenger died when the motorcycle crashed, setting off three days of rioting.

Lozano was convicted of two manslaughter counts in a Miami trial and sentenced to seven years, but never served it. State appellate court justices dismissed the verdict, saying the case should have been moved from Miami because of racial tensions. Lozano was acquitted at a 1993 retrial in Orlando.

Doni and cowboyt like this.

Burp...
post #2218 of 2290 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

A brother or compadre would have been let go also... I'm sure.

Quote:
A federal judge ruled Thursday that a white nationalist Coast Guard officer accused of – but not charged with — planning a terror attack can be released on bail, CNN reported.

Federal prosecutors had urged Christopher Hasson to be detained pending trial because, they said, he “poses a substantial risk of danger to the community.” Hasson allegedly kept a “kill list” of prominent Democratic politicians and journalists and stockpiled some 17 weapons, including two silencers. Prosecutors have said he spent hours at his desk job at the Coast Guard’s Washington, D.C. headquarters searching for information on mass murders.

But magistrate judge Charles Day of Maryland determined that because prosecutors have not and do not intend to charge Hasson with terrorism-related offenses, they don’t have grounds to hold him, according to CNN.

Hasson’s defense attorneys had argued for his release.

Per Kate Amara, a reporter for local Baltimore station WBAL also present at the hearing, Hasson’s wife’s “jaw dropped when she heard the decision.”

Hasson is charged with illegal possession of unregistered silencers, illegal possession of 17 firearms by an addict of controlled substances, and possession of the opioid Tramadol. In court filings and in hearings, prosecutors detailed Hasson’s alleged fixation on an impending “race war.”

Day said he had “grave concerns” about Hasson’s alleged activities and that the terms of his release still needed to be determined.

“He’s got to have a whole lot of supervision,” Day said, according to CNN. “Somebody who’s got eyes and ears on him like nobody’s business.”

Burp...
post #2219 of 2290 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
A brother or compadre would have been let go also... I'm sure.

Are you serious? Unregistered silencers or any other Class 3 devices (same category as machine guns), last I checked, that's 10 years, $10,000, per offense, and this guy apparently had more than one. The DA's office should've charged him with at least that, and given the severity of the penalty, that should've been a "no bail" situation. The DA's office, and the magistrate judge, just gave this asshat the ability to flee to Mexico or somewhere else.

Sure, they would've done that for a Black or brown-skinned Latino, too. Suuuuurrre they would.
Doni and GreenT like this.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--second W220 project car, just for fun--decided to keep it after all)
2003 S600 (third w220 project car, the sports car)
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)

Formerly--AND ONCE AGAIN! (I just married the girl):
2000 S500 (best friend's--now WIFE's--DD: my first W220 project car, once gone to, AND NOW RETURNED FROM, an excellent home--welcome back home, baby!)
post #2220 of 2290 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: zero
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3288 Post(s)
It's not illegal to own a silencer, nor does it have to be registered. In many states/ majority. This I believe includes Maryland.
Now you may have to pay for a tax stamp.

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in