Person claiming to be pastor leaves waiter note: ‘I give God 10%. Why do you get 18? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Person claiming to be pastor leaves waiter note: ‘I give God 10%. Why do you get 18?

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News

A person claiming to be a pastor apparently tried to stiff a waiter on a tip, explaining that their work for God absolved them of having to leave one.

A photo of the receipt, posted to Reddit.com, shows a bill for $34.93 that included an automatic 18 percent gratuity ($6.29) above a blank space for an additional tip.

"I give God 10%," the diner wrote on the receipt, scratching out the automatic tip. "Why do you get 18?" The person then wrote "Pastor" above their signature, and an emphatic "0" where the additional tip would be.

The Reddit user who submitted the image explained in the comments section that the receipt was part of a total bill of over $200 for a party of 20, which is why the gratuity was automatically added.

“Parties up to eight ... may tip whatever they’d like, but larger parties receive an automatic gratuity," the server wrote. "It’s in the computer, it’s not something I do.”

The server added: “They had no problem with my service, and told me I was great. They just didn’t want to pay when the time came.”

Scribbling notes on receipts has become something of a trend. Earlier this month, the manager of a North Carolina Red Robin surprised an overdue pregnant woman by comping her meal.

“Once seated, a manager came up to us and started talking,” the woman's husband told Consumerist. “He was extremely friendly and jokingly asked my wife if this was her last meal before heading to the hospital."

When the check came, a note from the manager next to her portion of the bill read: "MOM 2 BEE GOOD LUC."

“It was a pleasant surprise and made my tired-of-being-pregnant wife a little more cheery," the man said.

Applebee’s fires waitress who posted receipt from pastor complaining about auto-tip

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News

An Applebee's waitress who posted a receipt with a note from a pastor complaining about the automatic gratuity added to the bill on the Internet was fired on Wednesday after the pastor complained to her manager.

Chelsea Welch, the waitress, wrote in an email to Yahoo News that the pastor (who has since been identified as Alois Bell) told Welch's manager at the St. Louis-area Applebee's that the ensuing firestorm had "ruined" her reputation.

"I give God 10%," Bell wrote on the receipt, scratching out the automatic tip and scribbling in an emphatic "0" where the additional tip would be. "Why do you get 18?" (There were more than eight people in Bell's party, triggering the auto-tip.)

Welch, who snapped a photo of the bill from a fellow server and uploaded to Reddit, defended her right to post the receipt. "I thought the note was insulting, but also comical," she told Consumerist.com. "And I thought other users would find it entertaining.”

Bell, a pastor at Truth in the World Deliverance Ministries Church, was not amused, and she called Welch's manager to complain.

“[It was] a lapse in my character and judgment,” Bell told the Smoking Gun, adding she did not expect her easily recognizable signature would be, as her friend informed her, “all over Yahoo. You went viral!”

“My heart is really broken,” Bell added. “I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and ministry.”

A spokesman for Applebee’s said it apologized to Bell for violating her "right to privacy" and confirmed that Welch “is no longer employed by the franchise."

Welch was surprised that Applebee's fired her, "especially because there was nothing specific in the employee handbook admonishing this behavior."

"I had no intention of starting a witch hunt or hurting anyone. I just wanted to share a picture I found interesting," she said. “I come home exhausted, sore, burnt, dirty and blistered on a good day. And after all that, I can be fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”

Welch also isn't buying Bell's embarrassment. “If this person wrote the note, obviously they wanted it seen by someone," she said. “I’ve been stiffed on tips before, but this is the first time I’ve seen the Big Man used as reasoning."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: '99 ML430, '12 Silverado
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Last time I checked, God made a bit more than minimum wage.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Is god on the gold standard?
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:53 PM
RKH
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
The pastor did not gave god 10%, but actually took the 10% that others gave to their god (just claiming to be the middleman).
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
How much is the tip at McD drive through ?

... and this important discussion continues.

Dooloogssst!
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: '99 ML430, '12 Silverado
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKH View Post
The pastor did not gave god 10%, but actually took the 10% that others gave to their god (just claiming to be the middleman).
That occurred to me, too, in the process of wondering what address the pastor uses to send his 10% tithe to God.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, SLK350
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The waitress has been fired upon a complaint from the Pastor that her reputation and her ministry have been tarnished...
Applebee?s fires waitress who posted receipt from pastor complaining about auto-tip | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

Is this right?
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Who would Jesus stiff?
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)

The Whore of Magdalene
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: '91 M1A1 Abram's Tank
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
The pastor only gives god 10%? Why not 100?

"Insert witty quote here "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in