LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
No Valentines Day!

Same story every year from The Land of Sod.

I love women! I look at every one that passes by. My wife says she will start worrying when I stop looking. I bet there are a lot of pretty women under the garb they wear in Sod.

Saudi women can't go to the beach because they are covered head to toe in black. Cats come by and try to bury them.

No Valentine's: Saudi religious police see red
By ABDULLAH AL-SHIHRI
Associated Press

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia – The Saudi religious police launched Thursday a nationwide crackdown on stores selling items that are red or in any other way allude to the banned celebrations of Valentine's Day, a Saudi official said.

Members of the feared religious police were inspecting shops for red roses, heart-shaped products or gifts wrapped in red, and ordering storeowners to get rid of them, the official said. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.

Red-colored or heart-shaped items are legal at other times of the year, but as Feb. 14 nears they become contraband in Saudi Arabia. The kingdom bans celebration of Western holidays such as Valentine's Day, named after a Christian saint said to have been martyred by the Romans in the 3rd Century.

Most shops in Riyadh's upscale neighborhoods have removed all red items from their shelves. A statement by the religious police, informally known as the muttawa, was published in Saudi newspapers, warning shop owners against any violations.

"Those who don't comply will be punished," the statement said, without spelling out what measures would befall the offenders.

The Valentine's Day prohibition is in line with Saudi's strict Wahhabi school of Islam that the kingdom has followed for more than a century. The birthplace of Islam also bans several Muslim holidays except the two most important ones because it considers them "religious innovations" that Islam doesn't sanction.

Even birthdays and Mother's Day are frowned on by the religious establishment, although people almost never get punished for celebrating them.

Many Saudis, who still want to mark the popular Valentine's, do their shopping weeks before the holiday.

Each year, the religious police mobilize ahead of Feb. 14 and descend on gift and flower shops, confiscating all red items, including flowers.

Attitudes toward Valentine's Day vary across the Arab world, with devout Muslims opposing the holiday as a Western celebration of romantic love that corrupts Muslim youth.

The Egyptian capital, Cairo, is a sharp contrast to the Saudi restrictions, with shops and restaurants going overboard in red ribbon and heart decorations.

Dubai, a conservative Muslim city-state with a Western outlook, is every year taken over by a Valentine craze. Luxury hotels are draped in red, offering romantic dinner specials. Malls and cafes are decorated with giant hearts and flower shops offer promotional deals on roses and fancy bouquets.

Apparently prompted by the Saudi ban, a group in the Philippines advocating the welfare of Filipino overseas workers — a million of whom work in Saudi Arabia and another million elsewhere in the Middle East — cautioned its countrymen to celebrate Valentine's Day only in private and refrain from publicly greeting anyone with "Happy Valentine's" across the region.

"We are urging fellow Filipinos in the Middle East, especially lovers, just to celebrate their Valentine's Day secretly and with utmost care," said John Leonard Monterona of the Migrante group.

He said the group advised against carrying anything that is red, including toys, hearts, and flowers, or even wearing red dresses or T-shirts. Instead, he urged Filipinos to visit Internet cafes to chat with their loved ones, give them a call or send text messages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:03 AM
C_R
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: W210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
What's so bad about not wanting some stupid Western cultural practice to be incorporated into their society and keeping their culture pure. Isn't this the same as banning burkas and minarets in France? Didn't notice you complain about that one.

Isn't looking at other women with lusty eyes considered disrespect to women. Would you like it if some guy looked at your daughter and wife lustfully and when he got home, wacked off with their image in his mind?
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
You would fit right in with the Saudi thought police.
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Pajama Gram for Prince Naif"....
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:25 AM
C_R
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuantle View Post
Is that a bad thing? What do you think about the banning of burkas and minarets in France?
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Saudis can do whatever they want. If the Saudi society wishes to cover up their women because their men can't control their physical emotions, then it isn't the women who have the problem.

I don't live in France so I don't have a vote. I do understand the French wanting to retain French tradition. If the men who keep their women covered up are offended by French women, then they shouldn't live there just as I would be offended by Saudi tradition.

And, CR, if you are getting some serious wood when you look at women who are not under a tent then you need to seek professional help.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

As would you, Stu but for clearly different reasons.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
No, JE, if there is one thing I am against it's any govt's attempt at legislating morality.

It always ends bad.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:56 AM
C_R
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Saudis can do whatever they want. If the Saudi society wishes to cover up their women because their men can't control their physical emotions, then it isn't the women who have the problem.

Where did you get the idea that its the men who want to cover up the women? Most women prefer to do it. Otherwise why would women in France complain when their rights are being taken away. Ask western Muslim women why they wear the hijab. They will tell you that it is empowering. Ask yourself this: How many western women are raped every year compared to Saudi women? Don't you think that the modesty exhibited by Saudi women in covering up plays a part?[/B]

I don't live in France so I don't have a vote. I do understand the French wanting to retain French tradition. If the men who keep their women covered up are offended by French women, then they shouldn't live there just as I would be offended by Saudi tradition.

Don't be a pussy and answer the question. BTW, you don't get a Saudi vote either yet you are bashing them. Don't they also have the right to ban a western practice, the Valentine's day? Don't Saudis also have the right to retain Saudi customs as the French according to you? If westerners are offended by Saudi culture, then they too shouldn't live there., Right? THAT is what you are saying? So why the bitching about a ban on Valentines?
Stu, I agree with many things you say and I also disagree with just as many things you say. That is cool. No problem. Its a learning experience. I have absolutely no problem with people who disagree with me or who have different opinions. However, the only time I have a problem is when a person becomes 2-faced. One thing is OK for one society. however it is not OK for another. Take a side and stick to it and defend it.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Quote:
No, JE, if there is one thing I am against it's any govt's attempt at legislating morality.

It always ends bad.
See, now we're on the same page. Legislating morality is the central crux of the religious right in our country. These folks need to keep Jesus close to their hearts, and politics out of their churches.

"2016 will go down in history as the year America lowered its expectations beneath the threshold of a first world country"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in