Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Sebastian Vettel

619 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Teutone 
#1 ·
Too many mistakes since last years German GP. In a slump or over the hill?

Could it actually be that the best German F1 driver is the one who quit after winning the 2016 World Championship?
Right now, it looks like Hamilton is driving in a masterclass of his own, and the last guy able to give him a real hard time was Rosberg.

People tended to underestimate Rosberg as a lightweight. When Schumacher came back and Rosberg was beating him, it was always 'Schumi is over the hill,' and not how well Rosberg was driving.
We saw flashes of the old Schumacher, when he put the Mercedes where it didn't belong at the time, the Monaco pole position in 2012.
Too bad grid penalties moved him back to P6, or we probably would have seen him on the podium.
Whether people liked his persona or not, he was indisputably a great driver. From listening, he appeared to have used throttle for added car control more than anyone else.

#3 ·
I was just telling a friend that missed the Silverstone race basically the same thing about Vettel. It is more than likely we have seen his best days racing and it was not this season or last.

Mike is a huge F1 fan. So was the Tall Man. I miss Mr. China, but Ant is doing a great job.

#4 ·
+1, I liked Ed on that show too. Looking back at his reasons for leaving: 'less focus on tech/car work aspects,' and what Ant is doing now, It's baffling why Ed left at all. Manager asking for too much $, who knows?
The funny Euro warning triangle on Ed's wall with a reindeer silhouette instead of the exclamation mark comes from one of the mentioned forum members, whose family is of Finnish origin.
Cheers

#6 ·
Would tend to agree Vettel has lost his edge. No doubt he was a good driver when he won his WDC but he also was driving the best car on a team openly known for favoring one driver over another. (in spite of "multi 21", :)

As for Wheeler Dealers, they jumped the shark when they came to the USA. When I discuss this with my car buddies and strangers I meet at "Caffeine and Carburettors" meet ups they feel the same way. Edd China actually taught us new techniques, and did more than what "Ant" does which is primarily installing new parts out of the box or parts the show's sponsors have refurbished. Ant is just animated. His dialog is a blinding glimpse of the obvious.

The UK version was more enjoyable also because there were more "cottage industry" types supporting the effort; guys who only worked with aluminum or repaired wood veneer, or who repaired digital displays. You got to watch them work their magic. Who really needs to watch another set of wheels getting powder coated?

The show has always been contrived but since coming to the USA, more so IMO.

#7 ·
I agree, but a global viewership of around 200 million is hard to argue with. Looking arounds the political and social landscape of the US, to tailor the appeal to a somewhat lower common denominator shouldn't surprise.

As an aside, I came across this fun quote:
In Italy, for 30 years under the Borgia's, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, and the Renaissance.
In next door Switzerland they had brotherly love, 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.