post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: W124
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engines that Mercedes ran in Montreal

Lewis was supposed to have the new spec engine in Montreal. They indicated he qualified using it but there was an overnight engine removal due to a hydraulic leak. Does anyone know if the new spec engine was run on Sunday? Did Bottas have the new spec engine? I just found it a little odd that the engine had to be removed for a hydraulic problem and wonder if that was just an excuse to pull the new engine prior to race day. Anyone know something about this?

'
'93 400E
'93 500E
'94 E320TE
'00 E320
'02 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:12 AM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttebenne View Post
Lewis was supposed to have the new spec engine in Montreal. They indicated he qualified using it but there was an overnight engine removal due to a hydraulic leak. Does anyone know if the new spec engine was run on Sunday? Did Bottas have the new spec engine? I just found it a little odd that the engine had to be removed for a hydraulic problem and wonder if that was just an excuse to pull the new engine prior to race day. Anyone know something about this?
Interesting question, I have no idea. Will Buxton, Ted Kravitz and Joe Saward have messaging, tweeter etc. That was quite an underwhelming race by Bottas.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:04 PM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttebenne View Post
This might be the guy to ask

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: W124
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
All I can find is confirmation that Stroll's spec 2 engine did suffer an internal failure. The lack of pace by Hamilton during the race is being explained as a cooling issue that the team resolved at the first stop. I can say that he clearly was able to follow Sebastian a lot closer after the stop than before so there is validity to what the team said. The fact that Bottas did not have a similar increase in pace is puzzling. If the team knew to remove the cooling baffles (my terminology) on Lewis' car then surely they would have done the same for Valteri (?) End result, is that there are five cars with this spec 2 engine in them and Mercedes has to now figure out what caused Stroll's failure and hopefully have a work around in place for the next race or decide that Stroll's failure was a "one off".

'
'93 400E
'93 500E
'94 E320TE
'00 E320
'02 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in