Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1988 300CE
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
... Mansell vs Senna, Monaco. Great racing
“Great racing“ shown by Nigel Mansell indeed.

As talented as Ayrton Senna was, I was never a fan of him … had to do with his definition of “sportsmanship“, which, btw, caused me to start loosing interest in F1 … and it was Michael Schuhmacher who brought that interest down to zero in Adelaide in 1994.

However, my loosing interest in F1 had also to do with the decreasing beauty of F1 cars up from the early to mid 90‘s .. a decrease that has obviously not come to a stop. The increasing resemblance of F1 “race tracks“ to enlarged go-kart tracks is not really helping to revive my interest in F1 either.
Teutone and Noodles like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Everyone knew, if they didn't make way, Senna would push them off the road or crash into them. Schumacher had something similar.
Still, after Schumi's return, the one time he managed to put the otherwise not yet ready for primetime Mercedes on pole in Monaco, I wish they could have dealt with his starting grid penalty at another race.

In an aside, talking with an ex F1 race mechanic, Mansell was not well liked among the teams. In those days, it wasn't unusual for teams to borrow parts from another. I was told when teams found out the part was for Mansell's car, the answer was usually no.
Cheers
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
HQ F1 Le Castellet 1976 full race LIVE Niki Lauda James Hunt Clay Regazzoni GP France ORF

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
1450bhp F1 BMW Turbo

I would love to see one of today's drivers try to wrestle this beast..

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:05 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
Everyone knew, if they didn't make way, Senna would push them off the road or crash into them. Schumacher had something similar. ...
These people would crash into others not only if others didn‘t make way, but also in order to wrest success away from others.

Some of the oldest memories in my life are motorsport related. I grew up watching (and partly being in contact with) F1 people like John Surtees, Graham Hill, Jack Brabham, Bruce McLaren, Jim Clark, Dan Gurney, Dennis Hulme, Jackie Ickx, Jo Siffert, Jochen Rindt, … all real gentlemen who not only had a different understanding of “sportsmanship“, but who also dared to do things which today‘s F1 tow dippers would never dare to do, not even for their … what, thousandfold (?) … income.

F1 is not what it used to be. The driving has turned more & more into framework for big advertising business. Proper & sportsmanlike behavior & style doesn‘t seem to have much market value anymore. These things generally don‘t seem to be part of the Zeitgeist as much anymore, even among people who fill the highest social positions on the planet ... as lately some of them have impressively exhibited.

H.D.
Noodles likes this.

Last edited by H.D.; 06-18-2019 at 04:19 AM.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
These people would crash into others not only if others didn‘t make way, but also in order to wrest success away from others.

Some of the oldest memories in my life are motorsport related. I grew up watching (and partly being in contact with) F1 people like John Surtees, Graham Hill, Jack Brabham, Bruce McLaren, Jim Clark, Dan Gurney, Dennis Hulme, Jackie Ickx, Jo Siffert, Jochen Rindt, … all real gentlemen who not only had a different understanding of “sportsmanship“, but who also dared to do things which today‘s F1 tow dippers would never dare to do, not even for their … what, thousandfold (?) … income.

F1 is not what it used to be. The driving has turned more & more into framework for big advertising business. Proper & sportsmanlike behavior & style doesn‘t seem to have much market value anymore. These things generally don‘t seem to be part of the Zeitgeist as much anymore, even among people who fill the highest social positions on the planet ... as lately some of them have impressively exhibited.

H.D.
I look at the current Prez, and think maybe the moral compass has been forgotten on the Mars lander.

At least I had an excuse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tequila-fat.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	2521898  
Noodles likes this.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:38 PM
Outstanding Contributor

There must be telepathy at work here …
Teutone likes this.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:51 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Just came across this computer-generated video which is supposed to show the 1967 F1-GP in Spa-Francorchamps, the only F1 race won by Dan Gurney. It‘s not a realistic display of that race, but I must say that this video does show quite realistically what the Spa-Francorchamps circuit, including houses & scenery, looked like at that time. However, there where a lot more spectators everywhere along the circuit than shown in that video.

At 1:42 - 1:58 it shows the super fast “Masta Straight“, followed by the “Masta Kink“ (1:58 - 2:02), which is followed by the also very fast “Holowell Straight“. At ~1:52 is where during practice of the 1000 km races in 1970 & ‘71 the Porsche 917‘s were measured at speeds of 240+ mph, which I watched in ‘71 from that slight elevation on the left side there.

Teutone and Noodles like this.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
... At ~1:52 is where during practice of the 1000 km races in 1970 & ‘71 the Porsche 917‘s were measured at speeds of 240+ mph, which I watched in ‘71 from that slight elevation on the left side there.
Here‘s a video of this year‘s “Spa Classic“ in Francorchamps 6 weeks ago … with the Porsche 917 of Vic Elford & Richard Attwood from 1969 (modified to short-tail version & painted in the Gulf colors) participating.

IMO … and you can call me old-fashioned … the 917K is still one of the most beautiful race cars ever built … and since I heard it for the first time 50 years ago (at real racing speeds) its unique air-cooled flat-12 sound has never left my memory. …

Noodles likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
+ 1 gorgeous car

Video below, skip through the ridiculous animation from minute 1:30 - 6:27, 6:50 - 8:10, and 11:37 - 14:00.
The rest is quite enjoyable. Seeing James May inside the 917 shows how small the car really is.

Noodles likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in