Niki Lauda has passed away - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
tuttebenne's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: W124
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,533
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Niki Lauda has passed away

RIP Niki; you were a legend.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/91185...d-passes-away/

'
'93 400E
'93 500E
'94 E320TE
'00 E320
'02 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
tuttebenne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:08 PM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor
 
Teutone's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Location: Los Angeles / Hannover Germany
Posts: 38,368
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttebenne View Post
My childhood hero. I was always watching F1 and among my son's early vocabulary was 'Niki.'
Wow, he survived and overcame so much. This comes as a shock, R.I.P. indeed.
Teutone is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:31 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: May 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Ochse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:51 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
H.D.'s Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1988 300CE
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,331
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Niki Lauda was everybody‘s hero around here. He was the only person who ever did a lap on the classic 22.8 km long Nürburgring Nordschleife in less than 7 minutes (during the F1 qualifying in 1975) … one year before his accident there.

R.I.P. Niki Lauda
Ochse likes this.
H.D. is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:15 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: May 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
Niki Lauda was everybody‘s hero around here. He was the only person who ever did a lap on the classic 22.8 km long Nürburgring Nordschleife in less than 7 minutes (during the F1 qualifying in 1975) … one year before his accident there.

R.I.P. Niki Lauda
You inspired me to read up on that. Thank you. The loss of Lauda is tragic.

My wife and I have done BTG laps of the current 20.8km version of the Nordschleife at speed during Touristenfahrten in her new BMW Track Pack car. I also sent my wife on a MUCH faster lap of the GP course and full lap of the Nordschleife in the passenger seat of a 911 GT3RS Race Taxi driven by Sabine Schmitz during a VLN race practice session. It is an amazing course. It is also amazingly difficult to learn, even for those with a motorsports background.
Noodles likes this.
Ochse is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:47 PM
Outstanding Contributor
 
H.D.'s Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1988 300CE
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,331
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochse View Post
... I also sent my wife on a MUCH faster lap of the GP course and full lap of the Nordschleife in the passenger seat of a 911 GT3RS Race Taxi driven by Sabine Schmitz during a VLN race practice session. ...
I live one hour away from the Nürburgring and “SpeedBee“ (Sabine Schmitz) is also everybody‘s hero around here. Not only is she very fast on the Nordschleife, she also won a tough fight against cancer last year.

Niki Lauda used to stay in her mother‘s hotel in Nürburg on race weekends.
Noodles and Ochse like this.
H.D. is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:05 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: May 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
I live one hour away from the Nürburgring and “SpeedBee“ (Sabine Schmitz) is also everybody‘s hero around here. Not only is she very fast on the Nordschleife, she also won a tough fight against cancer last year.

Niki Lauda used to stay in her mother‘s hotel in Nürburg on race weekends.
Wow. My wife is going through cancer also.

We stayed in Nurburg at that hotel- Hotel Am Tiergarten. Sabine was very nice to us. She invited us up to her hospitality suite overlooking the hot pit lane of the GP track, to have beers with her at the end of the day.
Ochse is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:15 PM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor
 
Teutone's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Location: Los Angeles / Hannover Germany
Posts: 38,368
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I have been to the hotel pub. Amazing collection of racing pictures and signatures from days gone by and great memorabilia.
Ochse likes this.
Teutone is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:48 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: May 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
I have been to the hotel pub. Amazing collection of racing pictures and signatures from days gone by and great memorabilia.
They do a nice buffet in the Hotel am Tiergarten café. That's where we met Sabine's mom, Ursula.

But I think you may be referring to the world-famous Restaurant Pistenklause, located downstairs. There are many photos and signatures on the walls. The food and service was great. And it is even more of an experience during a VLN race weekend.

Teutone and H.D. like this.
Ochse is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:00 PM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor
 
Teutone's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Location: Los Angeles / Hannover Germany
Posts: 38,368
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochse View Post
They do a nice buffet in the Hotel am Tiergarten café. That's where we met Sabine's mom, Ursula.

But I think you may be referring to the world-famous Restaurant Pistenklause, located downstairs. There are many photos and signatures on the walls. The food and service was great. And it is even more of an experience during a VLN race weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlyrLXJyIHc
That's the one. But 'Pistenklause' translates and sounds better than racetrack pub, oder 'Kneipe am Ring'
Ochse likes this.
Teutone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
The good news I passed smog. The bad news everything after th3jesus W210 E-Class 17 06-19-2017 11:11 AM
Kick Down and RPMs passed RedLine Arlind86 W140 S-Class 10 08-25-2010 06:32 PM
PASSED EMISSIONS BUT SOMETHING'S WEIRD! Prochambers W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class 6 04-07-2010 04:18 AM
Hamilton taking too many risks for Hill, Lauda. Teutone Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing 2 10-15-2008 04:00 PM
Niki Lauda’s 2007 Season Review Teutone Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing 0 10-30-2007 09:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome